shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Band for Twist Tension Setting??

MissBull

Rough_Rock
Hi gracious forum members,

My beautiful future sister-in-law just received this stunner from James Allen on Christmas Eve... well it was actually *from* my brother, but designed by James Allen :lol:

Problem is we haven't been able to find any prospective wedding bands to "fit" with the unique design :confused: I knew if anyone had some suggestions it would be you guys!! A little gap is understandable and would probably be ok... but the band should definitely complement the style of the ring. I already performed a forum search and couldn't find a prior thread. Suggestions please!!

Thanks!

Jen's ring.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I agree, Geckodani. I have an alternating kite set princess and round bezel band too and I think it would look awesome with this ring! :appl:

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
The shift on the fit will create a vast gap on one side. This will drive the wearer nuts.
She would be better of with a fitted band that follows the edge of one side as it shifts...the band will shift to the same degree as the engagement ring.
This can't be accomplished without the company doing the work having the engagement ring in hand. They will create a model by imprinting the engagement ring for an exact fit to its countours.

MissBull

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I absolutely love the princess kite set... how beautiful!

Unfortunately, my SIL would like to avoid the "gap" at all costs... which is going to be tough with the asymmetrical "twist" design. @The Doctor: any suggestions on where I can find something like that?? I had a feeling she would have to go custom no matter what...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoot! hey hey now Dani! thanks for linky my thread :))

Unfortunately I think you will not be happy with the standard wedding band to pair your ring, I had a similar ring,,, very very first ring I had was a tension twisty like yours, and it was more of a stand alone ring.

The other option is to buy very thin diamond band to flank both sides, so the asymmetrical gap on one side will now be symmetrical on the other side. I did have some bands that I added to my ring, and it drove me batty with how large the gap was on one end.

so I think you will have to go custom to get it fitted and snug.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
D&T|1294170063|2814165 said:
whoot! hey hey now Dani! thanks for linky my thread :))

Unfortunately I think you will not be happy with the standard wedding band to pair your ring, I had a similar ring,,, very very first ring I had was a tension twisty like yours, and it was more of a stand alone ring.

The other option is to buy very thin diamond band to flank both sides, so the asymmetrical gap on one side will now be symmetrical on the other side. I did have some bands that I added to my ring, and it drove me batty with how large the gap was on one end.

so I think you will have to go custom to get it fitted and snug.

This was going to be my next suggestion. You'd still have a gap, but it would be on both sides, making the overall effect more symettrical. It's something to consider, and definitely to try on and see.

MissBull

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions. I especially like trying a thin band on both sides of the er... I'll definitely propose that one to her!

I guess for something custom, I should look for someone local... or does anyone know if James Allen does custom work remotely?

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
If they still have the CAD of the ER, JA might be able to do it since the ER was cast from the CAD. If you go for something with rounded corners in the divots (rather than an absolutely flush fit, which would require sharp corners where the WR bends around the kite), there might be more wiggle room to get it right.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd definitely suggest her maybe going for the engagement ring on one hand and wedding band on the other. That was *really* common in the first half of the 20th century- if you look at Art Deco rings, they're definitely meant to be stand alone. So there's precedence- it's only relatively recently that the "wedding set" was pushed. (Well, starting in the late '40s I guess :tongue: ) Mostly it was engagement ring on the right hand, and wedding band on the left IIRC.

Personally, I wear my e-ring stand alone most of the time. I have had one or two people ask if I'm engaged, but generally they don't. So if that's a concern, I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if she wears the w-band on one hand (I often do not).

If she wants a flush fit, yes, custom all the way. It shouldn't be outrageously more expensive IMO. But I would suggest to her leaving it by itself, it's already a strong statement ring (which is awesome, I prefer those) and adding more to it might detract IMO. Still, I know a lot of women are really attached to the idea of a matched wedding set... anyway, hope that she finds what she's looking for! I love tension set rings- there's something almost magical about them.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Complete and random coincidence: I read your thread earlier, and then went browsing eBay for V-Day gifts. Turns out, the jeweler who made my last piece has an eBay store which I couldn't resist browsing ... and turns out they have a princess wedding band that looks like it might slot in perfectly. Might be worth asking them if they can ship it out to you for a look, or dropping by if you're in NYC? I had an awesome experience with them, so it could be worth a try. Otherwise, I think going custom really might be your best bet ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10CTW-Princes...52911365?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2307b13d05

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think LGK said it all. In order for a band to sit flush she is def going to have to go the custom route, which is just fine.

But her ring is such a statement piece that it could be worn on its own beautifully. That would give her the option of choosing whatever band she wants and wear it on her other hand to be another statement piece as well.

MissBull

Rough_Rock
@Circe: That's a unique idea! We actually are in the (greater) NYC area so I will see if something like that might work. Thanks for the suggestion! :appl:

Circe|1294183145|2814336 said:
Complete and random coincidence: I read your thread earlier, and then went browsing eBay for V-Day gifts. Turns out, the jeweler who made my last piece has an eBay store which I couldn't resist browsing ... and turns out they have a princess wedding band that looks like it might slot in perfectly. Might be worth asking them if they can ship it out to you for a look, or dropping by if you're in NYC? I had an awesome experience with them, so it could be worth a try. Otherwise, I think going custom really might be your best bet ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10CTW-Princes...52911365?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2307b13d05

MissBull

Rough_Rock
@LGK, @MarkBroumand: That's kind of what I was thinking too... I think it's so special on its own and the setting is already so *thick* heavy... it is really a stand-alone piece. I'm not a fan of the matching "sets" myself, although I've seen a few on here that are gorgeous :naughty:

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
BND_M_22826%20006.jpg

Saw this on the Green Lake Jewelers website and thought of this thread. :)

MissBull

Rough_Rock
nicoleanne|1294287178|2815462 said:
BND_M_22826%20006.jpg

Saw this on the Green Lake Jewelers website and thought of this thread. :)

@nicoleanne: Thanks so much for this!! I worked with Green Lake on a custom design a couple months ago and they were great. That's exactly what she's looking for ;-) Where on the website did you find this gem [no pun intended]?!

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
It was under design elements>settings>channel. I don't remember what page though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO nothing should be worn next to that ring.

It would have to be a contorted shape.
It will make the wedding ring look out of place.
It will take away from the engagement ring.

There's no law saying you have to wear two rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results