shape
carat
color
clarity

Wanting to sell a loose diamond, .45 carat, Princess cut.

honestabe1982

Rough_Rock
This is the diamond I had in my fiancees engagement ring as the center stone and she got tons of compliments on it but I recently upgraded to a larger diamond and would like to sell the old one. If I got $500-600 out of it, I'd be happy, but I'm not sure what is reasonable for it, so I'm hoping you all can help.

It is a princess cut diamond and based on the appraisal from the original ring it came from($2700 on 3/3/09), It is .45 carat, H-I color, SI1-I1 clarity.

I've attached the appraisal that I got for it, but again, that's for the whole ring and all the diamonds that were on it.

Any advise/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Aaron in St. Louis

Appraisal.JPG

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Wanting to sell a loose diamond, .45 carat, Princess cut

Sad to say, but a diamond with those specs (especially without a GIA cert) will probably get you about $300.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock

If that . . .

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A new one with a GIA cert would cost around $600. Diamonds on the second-hand market usually get 30-50% of the value
so that means somewhere between $180-$300 (and thats if it had a cert).

BTW - sometimes its just not worth selling. A lot of folks use their old stones to make pendants.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

tyty333 said:
A new one with a GIA cert would cost around $600. Diamonds on the second-hand market usually get 30-50% of the value
so that means somewhere between $180-$300 (and thats if it had a cert).

BTW - sometimes its just not worth selling. A lot of folks use their old stones to make pendants.
Make a pendant!! :love:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

How much you get on a resale depends on two main variables:

What you have.
How and to whom you’ll be selling.

We don’t have either of those pieces of information and it makes a HUGE difference. The appraisal is probably describing how much a retail store might be asking before discounting for a stone at the very top end of your supplied grade range. This is perhaps academically interesting but has very little to do with your situation. This is likely to be a difficult item to sell but there are both professional buyers and craigslist/ebay type buyers in nearly every city. To get top dollar you must know what you’ve got with better accuracy than that but, as has been pointed out above, it may not be worth the cost of the grading fees to have it inspected. Talk to one or two of the local jewelry buying companies and try to get a feel if it’s worth your money to proceed with a proper grading.

stci

Ideal_Rock

I'm always surprised to see an appraisal who states 2 clarity grades for one diamond.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

stci said:
I'm always surprised to see an appraisal who states 2 clarity grades for one diamond.
This one gave a range of 3 clarity grades and 2 colors. It's generally agreed that +/-1 grade of variation is typical in grading mounted stones, which I presume is the case here, so really we're talking 5 grades of clarity and 4 grades of color. That's TWENTY choices, even for a buyer who considers the grading source to be reliable!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with the above poster to just make a pendant.

honestabe1982

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the feedback. I really don't care to make a pendant out of it, I'd rather just sell it for as much as I could. Preferably through craiglist or locally through whatever might give me the best deal. Its fine if its not worth more than $200-300...I'll take that. I just really don't need the diamond and don't care to make anything out of it.

Also, I think there is some confusion on the appraisal above. It is an appraisal of the original ring with all the diamonds included. So it is referencing grades for the other diamonds as well. For the diamond in questions, it is SI1-I1 and H-I color. So 3 grades for clarity and two for color. Not 5 and 4.

I'm located in the St. Louis, Mo, area if anyone has any recommendations for where to look to sell this diamond.

Thanks again for your help.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

You can always post on ebay with a starting bid of just below what you are willing to take for the stone. Many people here buy stones off Ebay for projects and such.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results