shape
carat
color
clarity

W-Z diamonds vs K-L colors

Rose974

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

please bear with me as I ask this question...I am planning for a 3 carat radiant (cut is #1 for me, or sparkly-ness, less about numbers and more about how it looks to me, #2 is clarity and 3rd color because i am most flexible on that)

Do K-L diamonds hold more brown that W-Z? Or do you think K-L don't look right on radiant diamonds? I love light, light yellow colors like the picture I attached (which is from DBL) but heard yellow doesnt sparkle as much as white? And if I were to put a light yellow diamond in rose gold would that clash?

_34554.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Yelow and Rose gold is not everyones cup of tea you need to see the combo IRL - i love any colour or shade of diamond but I do think yellow doesn't sparkle in the same way as white but again you need to view IRL

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
There are some Ks and Ls that have more of a pink/brown cast that look beautiful in rose gold, but then the diamond is not pale yellow. The soft yellows in your photo look more like W,X,Y,Z to me. I would look in that range if you want light yellow. I'm not sure why you skipped everything in between. You might find an O or P that is a beautiful antique ivory color that would look pretty in rose gold, too. Unfortunately, you can't really go by the letters because tint varies so much- you really need to see them in person. And, my Y,Z yellow diamond sparkles like crazy. I love it!! The yellow diamond is set in yellow gold, but the pink diamonds around it are set in rose gold(band is platinum)- you could do something 2 or 3 toned.

flower_ring_3.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that if a cutter is going for maximizing yellow color, the cut is usually not the best for performance. It is totally possible to have a light yellow diamond that is a great performer. Regardless of the color grade, diamonds can lead toward yellow, brown or gray. I ADORE light yellow diamonds in rose gold! I have two upcoming projects in that combination.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1442922205|3930490 said:
I think that if a cutter is going for maximizing yellow color, the cut is usually not the best for performance. It is totally possible to have a light yellow diamond that is a great performer. Regardless of the color grade, diamonds can lead toward yellow, brown or gray. I ADORE light yellow diamonds in rose gold! I have two upcoming projects in that combination.
+1. I would think that there is more focus on the cut in the K/L range but more focus on capturing colour in the Y/Z range. This isn't to say the Y/Z range will have a bad cut but it will not be their top priority. This is why crushed ice style is very common in the Y/Z range; the crushed ice style glitters and is more forgiving in the light return department.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Light return hides color and that is detrimental when cutting diamonds with colors lower than N-P. An under tint of brown at N-P and below needs personal looking before making a decision. That color is a common feature of diamonds from the Argyle mine in Australia and bears names like Champagne and Cognac. It's not everyone's cup and there are people who adore those colors.

A Y-Z brown and a Y-Z yellow are very very different.

There can be tints and then there are under tints (or under tones) . A brown can be yellowish brown and a yellow can be greenish yellow and there can be mix tinges in between. Looking is the way to go.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,
When considering diamonds between K-Z the style of cut makes a huge difference.
The links posted by telephone are all antique style diamonds or RBC's.
Such stones are indeed cut to return more white light.

A diamond like pinkjewels is cut to return yellow light. Stones cut like pj's can look pretty darn yellow as high up the scale as M.
The term "performance" is far to general to have specific meaning in a discussion of cut.
If we want a diamond to look colorless an RBC would perform better than a stone like pj's.
If we want a yellow diamond pi's will blow any Y-Z RBC or omb no matter how well it's cut.

About brown tint: it's far more rare to find stones cut for color in the slight brown tint than RBC or antique stones. You will find Fancy Brownish Yellow but Y-Z Browns are very rare in stones like pj's

About pink gold - of course it's a matter of taste we have set many diamonds like PJs in Rose gold and I think they look amazing.

grateful4life

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring is a yellow diamond and it sparkles like crazy! I have a bracelet with yellow diamonds too that are lighter than the ring and they too, sparkle like crazy! I think it's what sets them apart from other yellow stones like a sapphire. Yellow sapphires are gorgeous but nothing sparkles like a DIAMOND (of any color) :)

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I got a fancy light yellow radiant from DBL, SPARKLY :love: David knows how to pick 'em!

DBL diamonds always look just like the pictures, but even better in person!!

Q

Queenie60

I have recently purchased two pear shaped L colored stones to match for stud earrings. They have an excellent cut and I had them set in 5 prong white gold. I have dark hair and olive skin - when they are on my ears they face up like an I or J colored stone. When not in the ear, they look white in some light and in a room with a lot of golds and yellows, you can definitely see the buttery yellow color. You need to look closely at the stones to be sure you like how they sparkle and if you can live with the tint of color. A good cut will play a huge roll in how well the stones look. Personally I like the warmth of K/L diamonds.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Thing with stones colored I-J and below it becomes important to view them to know if you like the body tint of that particular stone. Diamonds color in a variety of body tints (yellow and brown being most common, but grey and mix tints as well). Not all L color will be what you describe. And a K brown or L brown will be much different from a normal L. GIA also doesn't mention tints when diamonds have mix tints. For example brownish yellow or grayish yellow. Or greenish yellow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results