shape
carat
color
clarity

VS1 with visible inclusions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased a 1-carat EGL certified princess cut stone with VS1 clarity, I color and ideal cut from a credible online store. I received the ring and was surprised that a) I could easily see two inclusions in the table and b) the I color was very yellow.

Was I wrong in my understanding that VS1 would be eye-clean? Was I mistaken in thinking that I would face-up white?

I can return the ring for a refund or exchange. I''m just sort of confused about what to do now. The vendor told me I should at the very minimum get SI1 as SI2 would definitely show inclusions in a princess. But if a VS1 shows visible inclusions, would SI2 be much worse? How many grades must I go up to see improvement in the color? H? G?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kathy

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Just to check a few things: Have you 1) had it independently appraised? If not, I would definitely do that before you make a decision either way...

That being said.. sometimes princess cut stones can have "block dots" seen in them.. and they are not inclusions. Are you certain what you see are inclusions? A VS1 should arguably have NO visible inclusions, even with 10X magnification, they should be very very hard to see. VS2 I would almost argue the same.

If it is truely a VS1, then you are most likely not seeing inclusions. Some princess cuts display this black dot pattern, and I am not overly familiar with it.. hopefully someone posts that is. If it bothers you, make sure to ask someone you trust when they look at the stone, that they don''t see the black patterns in the middle... some have them and some don''t so I have read.

As far as the I color, it is all in the eye of the beholder (you). I color is lower on the scale, and I would not be surprised if it had a yellow tint to it. It shouldn''t be bad... and it should face up mostly white (if it is an Ideal cut) but remember... facing up white to me may not be face up white to you. If it looks yellow then yes, I would consider going higher in color, if it bothers you.

Bottom line: get it appraised. If it IS a VS1, then you aren''t seeing inclusions (shouldn''t be) and are probably seeing the weird black dot pattern. If it IS an I color, then your eyes may be more color sensitive to yellow than others'' and you might want to go higher in color grading. If the stone turns out to be neither VS1 or I color, return the stone as not representing what you were sold, and choose another after getting the dealer''s honest explanation why you did not receive the correct stone.

Best of luck!

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi - I have a feeling that the previous poster is right. I have been searching for months for a Princess cut diamond beacuase I love the shape. At the last minute I decided to go with round as those black dots were really bothering me. You see it more in some than in others. I think the cut has alot do do with it. In some deep diamonds I didn't really see it at all, but you don't want a very deep diamond.

I would suggest you go to another store, even Tiffany's if you have one near you and look at otherr Princess cut diamonds so you will know if it is this that you are seeing Look at VVS's or GIA VS's, etc. If it is the block dots - often called bow tie effect in pears and other fancies and you can't live with it find another shape. I couldn't. Then Keep me posted as I went through the same thing. I would love to know what you decide to do. I tried on a $28,000 princess cut diamond in a solitaire setting and was not happy witht he bow-tie efect. It's thenthat I realized they all have them. You may to try looking at a radiant. It's not for me, but others who gave up on princess like these as they are almost as sparkly as a round.

Good Luck!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
vs-1 should be eyeclean with no eye visible inclusions.
An I colored princess can apear a bit yellow to some people.
It sounds like you dont love it so I say return it and start over.

carrot

Rough_Rock
If the stone is graded correctly, you should not be able to see any inclusions in a VS1. When you replace it, make it clear to the vendor that you want an eye clean stone. Note that some vendors may call a stone eye clean if inclusions can be seen from the side, but not through the crown. If the mounting shows the side of the diamond and this is an issue to you, make sure they understand that you want a stone that is eye clean from the sides as well. You should be able to find an eye clean VS2 which will save you some money that you can put into a higher color grade.

Color grade is very important and you should get what pleases you since you will probably be looking at the diamond for a long time. Find a local jeweler large enough to inventory loose diamonds and look at several diamonds (preferrable in the same cut) in different color grades, including a D if possible since it will be totally colorless and will be a benchmark.

It may be a bit of a hassle to get things straightened out, but the bright side is that this is an option to you and you are not stuck with a disappointment!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a shock! I have a I/VS1 GIA diamond and there are no visible inclusions and the color is basically undetectable. I would let an expert look at but you might want to just return it and start all over again. Good luck.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
egl has been noted to sometimes be 'soft' in grading, meaning an egl graded vs1 could actually be a vs2 or si1 by gia standards. same for color, you could be looking at a j or k. if you are unhappy, you may want to look for something that is at least gia graded.

DoubleB

Rough_Rock
Regarding what Belle just said - I had a stone with an EGL cert of D SI-1. I took it to a respected gemologist who said it E (not a big difference) and SI-2 (and hanging on to that grade by a thread!). I returned the stone and went with an AGS cert from one of the favorite PS vendors.

doubleb

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Wow, wow so princesses have sort of "bowties" as well. Hmmm what causes that? Is it avoidable?

madrock

Rough_Rock
I looked at a 7+ carat emerald cut today (E/VS2) and I was able to see the inclusions easily. This stone had the GIA cert with it -- no question that it was the same stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes in a stone that is that large and an emerald cut the inclusions are much easier to see, say than in a RB of that size.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
From what we have seen from the pscope grading labs survey, EGLUSA has been getting pretty strict lately. I''m thinking the report may be from EGL Antwerp or Israel? With that said, a VS1 should not display such a prominent inclusion, and the yellow hint should be barely noticeable... after all, ''I'' is still ''''near colorless''''.
14.gif

I think you should get the stone checked by a reputable appraiser to make sure it matches the cert (in which case I would have strong doubts about its importance) and eventually return the stone.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Kimberly,

I spoke to Jon at GOG and he referred to it as obscuration. I am not sure what causes it but I know it bothered me alot. It is not exactly a bow tie shape just black dots that generally follow some sort of pattern typically in a circle towards the center. I don''t hink is can be avoided which is why I gave up on princess.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
AS was pointed out- there''s a HUGE difference between a 7 carat emerald cut and a one carat princess.

In general, a VS1 in a one carat princess ( as graded by GIA) it is not possible to make out the imperfection, in a huge percentage of stones ( 95% PLUS)

EGL is simply not a dependable grade. Period. They might have been stricted in the PS survey- but inconsistent is inconsistent

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all of your replies. Sooooooo very helpful.
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your replies. :)

I talked at length with the vendor of the stone. He thought I was perhaps seeing a reflection instead of an inclusion as I indicated that it was a white feather. Looked like an inclusion to me, but who knows? Definitely would be surprising considering the VS1 grade.

He agreed that the stone was quite yellow and admitted that he found EGL to grade somewhat liberally. He suggested that I go with a GIA stone in H or G.

I was a little annoyed that he sent the stone he did, especially in light of my specific request for something that faced up white, but I suppose the color thing is subjective. I think what really made the color stand out was the fact that it was in a three-stone setting and the other stones were much whiter.

Anyway...water under the bridge. I agreed to try his VS1/H GIA stone. Hopefully it''ll be more what I had in mind--or at least match the other stones. I was a little nervous about the H color, but your posts were enlightening. I think it''ll be dandy.

I''ll keep y''all posted about how it turns out. And again, thanks so much for your input. Your insight has been invaluable.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results