shape
carat
color
clarity

visible size difference between 1 and 1.1ct?

sophiaz

Rough_Rock
Please help me here. I'm trying to choose between two diamonds (same cut, same colour, same clarity) 1.11ct and 1.22ct. The bigger one is $1k more. I know the visual difference between 1.1 and 1.2ct is very small, but similarly the difference between 1 and 1.1 is small too. I wish to have a diamond that is visually bigger than 1ct. Would the 1.1ct be mistaken as 1ct? Is the $1k worthwhile?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Other people looking at your hand will likely be unable to tell a 1ct from a 1.2ct, I bet you need to go up to 1.5ct for *other people* to be able to tell the difference!

On your own hand, I think 1.2ct looks a little bit larger than 1.0ct. It is not a huge difference, though. If you can find a diamond that is 1.18 or so, that is the best bet money wise because the per carat price is the same as a 1.0ct, and it looks a little bigger. There is a per carat price increase at 1.2ct.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
the eye's perception to size is based on its dimension and cut (light reflection). The average human eye cannot tell the difference between .2mm from what i've seen.

LLCALI

Rough_Rock
Carat weight doesn't necessarily determine how large a stone looks since all of the weight could be in the bottom of the stone. If size is your goal, you need to compare the mm measurements of each stone to see which one actually faces up larger. That said, a .1 difference is likely not going to be noticeable whatsoever.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Compare mm measurements not carat weight, and then, I think the .2mm difference is not sufficiently noticeable. I think you'd have to go up a bit further in size/ct to be able to really tell there was a difference. BUT... you are only buying one stone, so no matter which one is on your hand, it could look large depending on how it is set. Its the quality of the cut that will stand out!

sophiaz

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for the reply. So the 1.11ct is 6.67mm, 1.22ct is 6.85mm and 1ct is 6.42mm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results