shape
carat
color
clarity

Visible difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
I'm still a bit new to the forums here, but I'm glad I can come somewhere that others can give me an informed observation. Please forgive me if this question comes across as silly.

I'm researching diamonds in depth and have come across a few threads here that bring me to this question. Most sources I have referred to have listed the colors D and E both as "colorless".

So my question is, is there any real visible difference between a D and an E stone as far as color is concerned, or would both look basically the same?

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Probably not, you''d have to be extremely color-sensitive. Here''s a color chart that may help.

diamond_color_chart_round.jpeg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DEF are colorless. It is hard to distinguish until you get to G.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Can I be color INsensitive? On that chart that was posted, I honestly can''t tell a difference between any of the stones, D-G, and H only slightly from D. In person, when I was picking out e-ring stones, the woman picked out stones of four different colors and asked me to try to put them in order of highest to lowest quality, and I completely fumbled, picking H as my favorite stone!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Don''t apologise for aking questions! That''s what we are all here for - to help each other
1.gif

You really need to go and see well cut (ideal cut) stones in person to determine how colour sensitive you are and how low in the colour range you are willing to go. Some people can tell the difference between D and G, and others have trouble distinguishing even lower colours. Many will say (and I agree) that even with well cut H, I, J etc you won''t see ''yellow'' per se, but rather a warmer tint. Many actually prefer this warmer colour, while others (myself included) are suckers for an icy white D or E. It''s totally up to you, as we all perceive colour differently.

Anyway, it gives you a great chance to go and see lots of sparklies in real life
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 11:21:12 PM
Author:Nocturnius
I'm still a bit new to the forums here, but I'm glad I can come somewhere that others can give me an informed observation. Please forgive me if this question comes across as silly.

I'm researching diamonds in depth and have come across a few threads here that bring me to this question. Most sources I have referred to have listed the colors D and E both as 'colorless'.

So my question is, is there any real visible difference between a D and an E stone as far as color is concerned, or would both look basically the same?
The average person would not be able to tell the difference - however there could be variables. Also a G colour will look plenty white to most people and is a sweet spot for many here.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Ditto to all the posters so far.

As colour grading is such a fine art - diamonds are graded only when they are LOOSE (unmounted) AND UPSIDE-DOWN (i.e. pointed side up) AND VIEWED FROM THE SIDE as otherwise, the colour differences are too hard to distinguish between adjacent colour grades!

Face-up diamonds can look whiter ESPECIALLY if well-cut as the sparkle from the diamond when face-up helps to hide the "tint" and even hide some inclusions.

For the average person, D-F will look colourless and G-J will look "white" or near colourless when the diamond is viewed from the top.

DtoJcomp[2].jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed you Indira!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great advice from above. And yes, you can be insensitive to color. I would echo honey on going to see some really well cut stones (HOF, AGS0) to get an idea of what you can and can't see, and what you like.

One thing to mention, when holding a D next to a J, almost everyone would see a difference. However, hold the lower colored stones by themselves, and see what you see (or don't). That's the true test.
28.gif
And view them in natural light, not under the jewelers lights.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Detecting degrees of absence of color would be a challenge! Good master sets and experience required!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 11:25:58 AM
Author: Lorelei
I missed you Indira!
35.gif
emsmile.gif
Thank you Lorelei - its my first day back after being away for a month whilst the majority of the Antwerp diamond trade market was was closed over August!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2008 12:37:37 PM
Author: Indira-London

Date: 9/1/2008 11:25:58 AM
Author: Lorelei
I missed you Indira!
35.gif
emsmile.gif
Thank you Lorelei - its my first day back after being away for a month whilst the majority of the Antwerp diamond trade market was was closed over August!
I wondered if that might be the case, good to see you!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results