shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage setting help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I''m more of a reader than a poster usually but I came across an old setting that I don''t know much about. I''m hoping you experts can help me figure out what size diamond I need for it and how it''s supposed to be set. The individual I got it from thought that it''s a tension setting but wasn''t sure. I''ll be very grateful for any thoughts you have to share.

(Hopefully I''ve attached the photo correctly. It''s my first time posting here.)

r4.jpg

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like normal prong setting to me, not sure the exact definition but maybe fishtail prongs?

If it is a true tension setting, there would not be a basket and I don't think there is a vintage tension set, they are quite recent from what I understand.

What metal/alloy is used?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diameter of the setting is approx 6 mm then you would be looking at around .80 cts give or take depending on the actual size needed to fit and the actual size of a particular diamond.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Looks circa 1950 to me.

The prongs would be notched to take the stone. What''s interesting is it doesn''t look like it''s been notched before. Pretty much a pristine setting from the look of it.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard, can you tell how the range of size of the stone, mm in diameter, that setting can take given the measurement in the image?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That looks like a brand new setting, meaning that it’s never held a stone before, but I agree that the style would suggest it was manufactured in the 50’s and it's been sitting around for a while. The way to set these is to cut a notch near the top of each corner and bend over the metal to hold it in. Effectively you have 8 prongs when you’re done that are holding in the stone. The stone needs to be slightly bigger than the hole so that it rests on the bottom of the notch (called a seat). This was probably made to hold a 1 carat or 6.5mm stone. This was a popular design in the post-WWII era.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all the info! How neat that it must be new old stock. Maybe my husband will quit giving me a hard time for spending $160 on it. LOL

It''s 14K by the way. YG shank and WG head.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results