shape
carat
color
clarity

View from side of diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mmulliki

Rough_Rock
My fiances diamond rated well on the HCA, but is not considered Ideal by AGS standards. The diamond looks great from the top. However, her setting is very ''open'' and you can see the side (profile) of the diamond. The bottom half looks kind of hazy. It doesn''t look as clear as the top half. Is this just because of the way the light is being reflected? Is it reflecting the color of the setting (platinum)? When I viewed it loose (not in a setting), i did not notice this haziness.

Is this normal? What causes it? Is this a price I have to pay to get the sparkle through the top of the diamond? I could provide the measurements if that would help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, the stone sounds like a good buy: a diamond with sparkly personality which managed not to be priced at a premium due to "paper" grades.

What you are seeing (the bottom-half hazynes etc.) is most likely an optical effect: the reflection of the girdle and the setting. You might not see this in most ring ring pictures, as the effect is both hard to capture and not especially pursued. There have been a few past threads about the same matter on Pricescope though, and the subject keeps commin back in posts about new rings...

For example, here's a particularly detailed thread about this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results