shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera Halo's

sa806

Rough_Rock
What is the price range for the Victor Canera cushion cut halo settings?

I have a $12,000+ budget and think the Canera settings are great, but I am not sure how much that would leave me for the diamond.

I'd like to stay in the 1.5-1.9 carat range eye clean I or better color, modern or antique.

Also the stone vendors with photos and diamonds in my price range do not seem to have settings I would go with. Any thoughts on using two vendors, is it more expensive?

GOG has some settings that are doable, but no price listings, I guess I could ask for quotes from VC and GOG.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I believe it will run you around $4000 - $5000 which is not going to leave enough for your desired size range in a cushion.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not gotten a quote from him but i do know if you are trying to get that large of a stone in a high color, it might be a good idea to look at a few other less expensive vendors.

ERD is a great place that can do it for a little cheaper, and they sell antique stones there too (heres an example of one abbouuuut 12k)
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/1.63-carat-h-si2-a-cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-117061.html
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/grace-classic-micro-pave-halo-enagement-ring-bpid-58-18.html

Really nice guys too.

sa806

Rough_Rock
A setting in that range is definitely out. My girlfriend has hands on the bigger side (long fingers) so I am thinking I need to get up there in carat weight.

I like that ERD stone, but I am not wow'ed by the setting. I guess that is the case though when it is half the cost of the VC.

I like this setting http://www.tinyjewelbox.com/diamonds-engagement/engagement-rings/halo/halo-mounting.html

But it only fits a 1.5 carat.

What mark up would I expect at a brick and mortar like the above store?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1368491174|3446349 said:
I believe it will run you around $4000 - $5000 which is not going to leave enough for your desired size range in a cushion.

Yup a hand forged ring typically starts around 4k and pending on what melee you use, the size of your center and a few other details it can go up to 6 or 7k. You should really contact Victor for a quote.

ERD does a pretty good CAST/ CAD version of the ring which I believe starts in the 2-3k region pending metal type etc.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe you could search ERD on here? their setting are actually quite high quality.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey OP
MomHappy and me just did pave halo's and could not be any happier with the results.
I have never seen in person VC work, so I cannot comment, but the product ERD is putting out is top notch and may suit your budget and timeframe.

sa806

Rough_Rock
I think another consideration is my time horizon, which would be a matter of weeks, not months.

globalmujer

Rough_Rock
I think you can do it with your budget...I was surprised what I was able to do with $5500- I went a tad over my 5K budget but I got what I liked..
If I had your budget I would have done this:
Get this stone or similar- even though it is sold- you may consider contacting Jbeg and see what they have. It was about $7250! http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/190ct-Antique-Cushion-Cut/29018626_3kr3ZN#!i=2468115812&k=dbnhNSp
They are great to work with and they choose stones with their eye which tells you a lot especially if you consider an antique cushion- the fire they look for is special. I am sure you can find something in that range and a beauty. If you are on east coast go with OWD or ERD and ask.
I think you can do it if you set a budget- $7000-8000 for the stone and then you can get the VC setting as stated above for 4-5K- antique cushions look lovely in VC settings. People thought I was crazy for wanting the size I wanted in our budget- but I love my ring to death and people think it's 2-3 x what we actually paid.
Good luck! Looking forward to see what you get!

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
Charmypoo is right for the figure she gave (for a 1 ct halo anyway) as I recently got a quote from VC for that.... but on her suggestion and a few other PS ladies I got a quote from Steven Kirsch and it was quite a bit less.... :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a nice halo, the first thing to do is to contact Victor, Steven, and ERD and ask for a quote on a halo setting for the largest stone you think you might buy. Then you'll know exactly how much money you have for a stone.

It is an incredibly important factor for her to decide whether she prefers modern or antique cushions, however. Most people do have a preference, and I think those, like me, who prefer antique style cushions would not consider a modern cushion.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1368571383|3447012 said:
If you want a nice halo, the first thing to do is to contact Victor, Steven, and ERD and ask for a quote on a halo setting for the largest stone you think you might buy. Then you'll know exactly how much money you have for a stone.

It is an incredibly important factor for her to decide whether she prefers modern or antique cushions, however. Most people do have a preference, and I think those, like me, who prefer antique style cushions would not consider a modern cushion.

Couldn't agree with this more!!!! If you haven't read Charmy's guide to making a HW inspired Halo I would check it out: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

sa806

Rough_Rock
OK so she definitely prefers vintage cut.

Very good suggestions so far. Thanks for the link to the halo guide, good stuff.

The question is what size vintage cushion I can find for $12,000- setting. I am thinking I need 1.5 carats or so at a minimum.

I guess I will go hunt around for vintage cut, GOG does not really have any in my size/price/color range.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
For a true antique cushion you are a bit limited. I would suggest Jewels by Erica Grace and Adam at Old World Diamonds (email or call dont' bother with the website). Once again you will have a better idea of what your budget is for the diamond once you figure out what vendor you want.

sa806

Rough_Rock
To clarify would JBEG be true antique and the GOG August and VC offerings be considered just a vintage newly cut? Any of them would be in the ballpark for the type of cut that she prefers,

globalmujer

Rough_Rock
Yes- Jbeg and OWD sell true antiques....as does GOG at times- but from what I have seen GOG mostly has old euro's- at times- they are sporadic with that, but do get or have access to old stones.

GOG and VC have created their own line of diamonds that are modeled after the old antiques but are newly cut - these are designed to perform at a premium optically, they are pricier, but are pretty and bright- they are pretty in their own right. There is just something about an antique that some people prefer - a good one- that is just gorgeous though-I actually preferred the antique for mine- the fire of a well cut antique with all its quirks is just beautiful. They have a unique personality too which is interesting to see day by day. If she prefers the antique give OWD or Jbeg a try and see what they have for your price range. And if you really like the VC halos go for it! Seeing the antique cushions in a VC is beautiful...there are plenty on here!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
globalmujer|1368596236|3447202 said:
Yes- Jbeg and OWD sell true antiques....as does GOG at times- but from what I have seen GOG mostly has old euro's- at times- they are sporadic with that, but do get or have access to old stones.

GOG and VC have created their own line of diamonds that are modeled after the old antiques but are newly cut - these are designed to perform at a premium optically, they are pricier, but are pretty and bright- they are pretty in their own right. There is just something about an antique that some people prefer - a good one- that is just gorgeous though-I actually preferred the antique for mine- the fire of a well cut antique with all its quirks is just beautiful. They have a unique personality too which is interesting to see day by day. If she prefers the antique give OWD or Jbeg a try and see what they have for your price range. And if you really like the VC halos go for it! Seeing the antique cushions in a VC is beautiful...there are plenty on here!

Yup this exactly. You should find out specifcally what she likes. I prefer true antique diamonds and would not accept an AVC/ AVR or similar (but many on here would!!!). To me the new old cut branded diamonds or whatever you want to call them just lack the charm of the antique cuts.

For comparison purposes here are 3 VC's halos. The first is with my 5.06ct antique cushion color N/O. The second is with WDYTIS4's 1.63ct M AVC. The last one is a 1.75ct J cushion brilliant. Hope this helps you.

EDIT: here is a thread with many Emilya rings with different centers. Perhaps this will give you a visual of what to look for.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/[/URL]

EDIT again- Sorry I posted an RB when I meant to post different cushions. Fixing it!

_6357.jpg

_6359.jpg

Attachments

• wdytis4.bmp
    798.8 KB · Views: 4,741

md9nyc

Rough_Rock
I can shine a little light on this topic as I was in your same position a few weeks ago. I had a similar budget and wanted a 1.25ct old mine cushion set in a hand forged platinum halo setting. As stated above, a hand-forged setting is about double the cost of a CAD setting. While I did not notice much difference with the naked eye, I am a slave to old school craftsmanship.

Long story short, I met with they craftsman mentioned above; LM, GOG &, ERD. All were extremely friendly, highly knowledgeable and assured me that I can build my ideal ring for my budget, but with a CAD setting - which after seeing in person, was a viable option. I then reached out to VC after seeing one of his Emilya settings in person, which was stunning. After numerous conversations with Victor regarding the build, I opted to choose him for both the stone and the setting. Aside from his amazing work, another benefit of having him do the entire project is the peace of mind in not having to ship the stone across the country and insure it during the build process.

I'm having him build an Emilya with pink diamond halo for the VC antique cushion. He started the build last week and I cannot wait to see the final project. Of course I ended up over budget, but that is related to the pink diamond halo.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^After doing a considerable amount of research myself, I didn't find hand forged to double the budget. When I priced CADs vs. hand forged, the hand forged settings were coming out about one or two thousand more (depending on jeweler). For comparison sake, my ERD custom/CAD halo was about a thousand dollars less than the VC custom/hand forged halo. For what it's worth, I am SO glad I went with ERD, although VC's work is lovely :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results