shape
carat
color
clarity

very good vs. excellent symmetry

davej

Rough_Rock
I'm seeking about a 1ct diamond for a solitaire engagement ring and am wanting high quality. I've generally narrowed my search to exc/exc/exc but by times come across diamonds which on paper are great in all regards except the symmetry which is rated as "very good". What is the impact of very good symmetry?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
davej|1426680439|3849039 said:
I'm seeking about a 1ct diamond for a solitaire engagement ring and am wanting high quality. I've generally narrowed my search to exc/exc/exc but by times come across diamonds which on paper are great in all regards except the symmetry which is rated as "very good". What is the impact of very good symmetry?
Visually it may be hard to tell Ex from VG symmetry, especially to the untrained eye. There are other things related more to light performance than to finish that are more important when choosing a GIA diamond. If you post the cert number of the stone you are reviewing you will get more guidance here.

One of the considerations might be future value, in which case having the Triple Ex pedigree is better. It may be that there are plenty of options in your color/clarity/size and budget range that will enable you to get a high performing triple ex or even an AGS Ideal.

davej

Rough_Rock
The following are some on my short list of which a couple have v.g. symmetry. All are in the range of $5600 to $6000.

GIA 2196449175 0.96, E, VS2, exc, exc, v.g.
GIA 2176875820 1.0, F, SI1, exc, exc, v.g.
GIA 2176795505 1.0, G, SI1, exc, exc, exc.
GIA 2165104046 0.96, E, SI1, exc, exc, exc.

I am looking for quality. Should I simplify my search and just stick to triple excellent.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
From my understanding/opinion you can still get a quality diamond w/ very good symmetry . . . they just might be harder to find bz you prob do want excellent light performance

with your budget you can get a lovely stone
Call to check if it is eye clean:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-00ct-i-si2-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3157629.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3273924.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3253501.htm

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Davej,

Just so there is no confusion, let’s make sure everyone is speaking the same language in this thread.

Graded Symmetry - The symmetry you are referring to – the GIA graded “Symmetry” - in the diamond is exclusively determined by the facet junctions and their alignment. This is the way the facets align and intersect. Diamonds may miss an ‘excellent’ symmetry grade if, under 10X magnification, they have tables or culets that are not precisely centered, an extra facet, or inconsistent (wavy) girdles. It is important to note that a diamond cutter may, in fact, make a choice to sacrifice a facet junction’s symmetry in order to rid the diamond of a blemish or inclusion which would otherwise remain in the finished product.

Optical Performance Symmetry -
Optical performance symmetry can be seen in the hearts and arrows viewers and will give you an indication of how the light plays through the diamond – this is NOT reflected in the symmetry grade.

For more on interpreting hearts and arrows, visit this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/hearts-and-arrows-diamonds

The point is this:

Neither graded symmetry (Excellent, Very Good, Etc.) nor Optical Symmetry (Hearts and Arrows) can tell you, definitively, what the optical performance of the diamond will be – it is the overall proportions and the way they interact which will determine the efficacy of light return from the diamond. This is why, despite all the Excellent grades or “Hearts and Arrows” labels placed upon a diamond, the Ideal-Scope and ASET images remain the most powerful predictor of light performance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davej|1426721756|3849303 said:
The following are some on my short list of which a couple have v.g. symmetry. All are in the range of $5600 to $6000.

GIA 2196449175 0.96, E, VS2, exc, exc, v.g.
GIA 2176875820 1.0, F, SI1, exc, exc, v.g.
GIA 2176795505 1.0, G, SI1, exc, exc, exc.
GIA 2165104046 0.96, E, SI1, exc, exc, exc.

I am looking for quality. Should I simplify my search and just stick to triple excellent.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Have you run all 4 stones through the HCA calculator?
Do these have pictures, videos or IS to back up the HCA score?

davej

Rough_Rock
GIA 2196449175 0.96, E, VS2, exc, exc, v.g. HCA score - 2.0
GIA 2176875820 1.0, F, SI1, exc, exc, v.g. HCA score - 1.9
GIA 2176795505 1.0, G, SI1, exc, exc, exc. HCA score - 0.9
GIA 2165104046 0.96, E, SI1, exc, exc, exc. HCA score - 0.9

I currently have no further information such as idealscope, photos etc. and if I did I am not so sure I could tell what is good and what is great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results