shape
carat
color
clarity

Very Good Gia certified vs Ideal Gia certified

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deangel

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Should I consider buying a Very Good GIA Certified cut vs an Ideal Certified cut, and get a better color,or save money. I haven''t gotten the chance to compare them side by side. Or should I stick with an Ideal cut. I am looking to purchase a round brilliant cut, between 1.70 and 2.02 or so. At two carat the most I could afford is an H SI2.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to clarify, the top cut grade in GIA is Excellent and the next grade is Very Good. With AGS the top grade is Ideal, or AGS0.

I would not compromise on cut personally. But a deal can be found sometimes when the diamond has polish or symmetry that are less than Excellent but the cut proportions are perfect. Polish and symmetry from Very Good (maybe even Good) and above are not indistiguishable to the naked human eye.

There is not much of a noticable size difference between 1.7 and 2ct, so finding someone in the 1.8ct range could allow you to get a better cut anf color and clarity.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Case by case. There are some GIA Ex cut proportion that are poor performers and some VG cut proportion that are good performers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2010 8:49:20 PM
Author:deangel
Hello,
Should I consider buying a Very Good GIA Certified cut vs an Ideal Certified cut, and get a better color,or save money. I haven''t gotten the chance to compare them side by side. Or should I stick with an Ideal cut. I am looking to purchase a round brilliant cut, between 1.70 and 2.02 or so. At two carat the most I could afford is an H SI2.
Hi Dean

It depends on the actual cut qualities of the diamonds concerned, GIA''s highest cut grade is Excellent, there is no Ideal Cut for this lab so any Ideal grade given would have to come from another source.

Some VG cut grade diamonds can definitely be worth considering, also be careful with GIA Excellent as this grade allows for what we call steep deep angle combos to get the top grade, these diamonds can sometimes show light leakage.

If you have any diamonds in mind, go ahead and post all the details here so we can look them over for you if you like.

deangel

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I''m sure I will have more questions as time goes on. Oh here is one, what can you tell me about oval shape diamond and cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 7:23:09 PM
Author: deangel
Thanks everyone, I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes on. Oh here is one, what can you tell me about oval shape diamond and cut.
Ovals are a classic shape which can offer a good mix of fire, brilliance and scintillation if well cut. They can also look large for the weight. There are various proportion configurations which can result in a good looking oval so images such as ASET and photos if buying online are very helpful, also a Sarin or Helium scan if you can get one to obtain the crown height. Ovals can often show what is called a bow tie, this is literally a dark bow tie shaped area running across the middle of the stone. It isn't really possible to judge a bow tie effectively from a static image as they can show differently according to the angle of the stone, so a trusted vendor that can be your eyes is very helpful.

deangel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the bowtie heads up for ovals. I have taken notice to it now. I have taken my search now from a 2.02 ideal cut, h color eye clean si2, to looking
for a smaller whiter stone. Would g color make a noticible difference? Here are two I am comparing. One f,one g or stick to the h.
1.62 Ideal Round
f color
eye clean s12
depth 62.1
table 58
symmetry excellent
polish excellent
girdle medium
cutlet none
flourescense none7.48x7.52-4.66

1.67 Ideal Round
g color
eye clean s12
depth 62.4
table 57
symmettry excellent
polish excellent
girdle medium to medium
cutlet none flourescence none 7.56X7.61x4.73

Basically I fell as if I am just trading size for color now. Any ideas. Thanks all.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 4:01:30 PM
Thanks for the bowtie heads up for ovals. I have taken notice to it now. I have taken my search now from a 2.02 ideal cut, h color eye clean si2, to looking
for a smaller whiter stone. Would g color make a noticible difference? Here are two I am comparing. One f,one g or stick to the h.
1.62 Ideal Round
f color
eye clean s12
depth 62.1
table 58
symmetry excellent
polish excellent
girdle medium
cutlet none
flourescense none7.48x7.52-4.66

1.67 Ideal Round
g color
eye clean s12
depth 62.4
table 57
symmettry excellent
polish excellent
girdle medium to medium
cutlet none flourescence none 7.56X7.61x4.73

Basically I fell as if I am just trading size for color now. Any ideas. Thanks all.
G or H will still be very white in a well cut round diamond. If you could post the crown and pavilion angles for each diamond please that would be helpful, also if you could find out what the grade making inclusions are for the SI2 clarities such as clouds, crystal etc that would be useful.

deangel

Rough_Rock
The crown angle for the 1.67 g color is 35.5 and the Pavillion is 41.0. The inclusions seems to be mostly clouds and crystals in small presentations, most of them in the table. It is supposed to be eye clean. But should I be concerned most of the inclusions are right in the middle? Also there is a needle and a feather somewhere.

The crown angle for the 1.62 f color is 36 and the Pavillion is 42.2. The inclusion is a cloud at 10 oclock inside the pavillion and a small cluster of chrytals on the very edge of the diamond. The rest of the diamond is clean. Also a feather somewhere, possibly in that cluster. Overall this one appearred clearer than the other.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 11:14:35 PM
The crown angle for the 1.67 g color is 35.5 and the Pavillion is 41.0. The inclusions seems to be mostly clouds and crystals in small presentations, most of them in the table. It is supposed to be eye clean. But should I be concerned most of the inclusions are right in the middle? Also there is a needle and a feather somewhere.

The crown angle for the 1.62 f color is 36 and the Pavillion is 42.2. The inclusion is a cloud at 10 oclock inside the pavillion and a small cluster of chrytals on the very edge of the diamond. The rest of the diamond is clean. Also a feather somewhere, possibly in that cluster. Overall this one appearred clearer than the other.
eeee, no. THose are pretty bad proportions.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is there any way that might be a percentage?

seems like an angle that deep with 36 crown would make total depth higher

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 11:53:54 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 3/5/2010 11:14:35 PM

eeee, no. THose are pretty bad proportions.
Goodness!
32.gif
Walk from those proportions, very steep deep.

deangel

Rough_Rock
How about this one, good counselors. I need a little more info myself on clarity, I am waiting to hear. I will need help with an oval when I get more info. This diamond cost $8,600.

pavillion angle 41.4

deangel

Rough_Rock
sorry I guess it didn''t post
1.56 G SI2
Cut Excellent
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Depth P, 60.5 %
Table 60%
Flourescence none
Crown Angle 33.0
Pavillion angle 41.4
7.50x7.53x4.55
gia certified

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
pavilion angle slightly too steep. Probably not good from the numbers, unless you have idealscope image.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 9:49:13 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
pavilion angle slightly too steep. Probably not good from the numbers, unless you have idealscope image.
Ditto. Try to keep pavilion angles between 40.6 - 41 degrees or if you want a safer range than that, 40.7 - 40.9 ( depending on lab and rounding).

deangel

Rough_Rock
Here is the oval , no info at all on gia report regarding crown or pavillion. The price is $9400. I like the d, eye clean. I used to have a d diamond and alot of diamonds I see seem grayish to me. There is a slight bow tie effect. I saw one with a slight effect in person and didn''t mind it so much. How common is it to have a slight effect.
1.80 d color
eye clean si2
depth percentage 61.7
table 57%
cut very good
polish excellent
symmetry very good
med to very thick
cutlet none
faint flourescense
9.31x6.78x4.18

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 10:23:54 AM
Here is the oval , no info at all on gia report regarding crown or pavillion. The price is $9400. I like the d, eye clean. I used to have a d diamond and alot of diamonds I see seem grayish to me. There is a slight bow tie effect. I saw one with a slight effect in person and didn''t mind it so much. How common is it to have a slight effect.
1.80 d color
eye clean si2
depth percentage 61.7
table 57%
cut very good
polish excellent
symmetry very good
med to very thick
cutlet none
faint flourescense
9.31x6.78x4.18
I don''t see any flags but all the basic numbers give are a chalk outline of the stone, what did you think of it and have you compared it to others?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results