shape
carat
color
clarity

Verification of authenticity

Parachute07

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

You guys gave me some great advice a couple of weeks ago on wedding ring shopping. We actually ended up getting a custom design done for my fiancee's ring based on a ring she had seen elsewhere. The design she had seen was quite unique and we showed it around to a number of jewelers and nobody had anything similar. Of course everyone was willing to do a custom job -- but one jeweler in particular had just done a very similar custom ring and it was almost identical to the ring she had in mind, so that made us feel comfortable going forward with it. I believe the ring will be done tomorrow and we'll be picking it up. My question is this: is there a way to find/pay a jeweler to accompany us to verify that the ring is, in fact, gold and the stones are diamonds? I don't have any cause for concern other than a healthy skepticism of anyone selling me something outside of my area of expertise. I'd rather pay a reasonable fee to have it verified by someone who doesn't have a vested interest in the outcome.

The jeweler is in the diamond district in NY -- I know, I know. Caveat emptor. Again, I'm reasonably confident -- but would like to find someone in the area who could provide their expertise for a few minutes to make sure I don't get ripped off. Come to think of it, this is a service that should probably exist -- I bet I'm not the only person willing to pay for this.

Any suggestions? I know I can bring it to my gemologist -- but I'd rather have it looked at before I pay for it. Thanks again.

Parachute07

Rough_Rock
Actually, I found the answer to my own question in getting it looked at by a gemologist right there before paying. Got it worked out I think :).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The service you're looking for is called an independent appraiser. There's a list at the top of the page under the 'resources' tab. Do not buy from a jeweler who will not cooperate with you having things checked out by a 3rd party and returning them if there's a problem to either have them fixed and/or issue a refund.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, exactly what Neil just said. Get an INDEPENDENT appraisal--one not affiliated with any jeweler. There are plenty in New York if you want to stay local. And make sure you can return for a refund if it doesn't check out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results