shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor ethics regarding reviews

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
I am contemplating purchasing from a vendor that several very active and vocal Pricescopers have glowingly reviewed. I met with the vendor and was impressed by his selection, service, and prices. I keep seeing many other positive reviews of this vendor pop up quite frequently. However, after reading some of these, it seems like they are all written in the same voice, providing few specific details, by members who never posted again or previously. Even some of the subject lines are virtually identical. Is it possible that this vendor is posing as different Pricescope members to give himself fake reviews? When I met with him, he mentioned that he enjoyed reading the boards here. Perhaps I''m being paranoid, but I wanted to check if this has ever happened before here, or if anyone else had noticed this. I hope this is no cause for concern because I was planning on buying a stone from him!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
is it possible? sure. it''s the internet, and you can be whomever you want to be here. however, i think that these are legitimate posters. not everyone chooses to post on a regular basis. many people do come here just to learn and to find good vendors. when they''ve had a great experience, they will probably feel more compelled to share with others. just my opinion...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey twojs!
have you met with, or talked to any other vendors? unless you can make a comparison, and decide if any one person makes you more comfortable to deal with, you only have this experience to go on. best of luck....i hope you find someone that you are confident with.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Since you''re in New York, there are a least several local vendors here that get great reveiws on Pricescope. Why not check out more than one so you can decide which one you feel most comfortable with.

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
It is certainly possible. Perhaps you should visit a few vendors and check out thier prices and selections. I went into some pricey stores just to get a sense of what was available and what stones of various grades look like. I went to some private dealers and independent jewellry stores.

After seeing a variety of dealers and stones, I had a very good sense of what I was looking for. When a stone with the magical combination came along, I felt comfortable with the dealer, price and quality to purchase the stone.

I was VERY suprised to find that I got the most reseasonble deal on the diamond I wanted from a high end independent jeweller. The diamond was slightly less/at par with the cost from internet based sites. I had it independently appraised. I was going to have it set thought this jeweller as well (who does nice custom work) but decided to have it set elsewhere. In the end, I felt more comfortable having another company set the stone.

I certainly understand your concerns with the postings (if this is the case). I am not sure if you live in the city of this vendor but you could always ask around for referrals (wedding planners, independent appraisers and insurance companies etc.. are often a good source). I personally would not buy off the internet because I like to see the stone in person.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
twojs,

i noticed this too over the last week or two multiple posts that all sound the same. i would do your own research until you are comfortable enough that they are the real deal. i wouldn''t drop a couple g''s someplace you don''t have faith in.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
You always have to be careful when dealing with the Internet because of the anonymity factor. I''m in the UK, so visiting US jewellers in person was always going to be a bit of a problem.
21.gif

I started out buying fairly low cost items with one vendor with whom I felt that I got fair prices and good service. I was also advised by other posters that I got to ''know'' on various forums over a couple of years, who they had used for higher priced items and been happy with and then gradually worked out which vendors I felt were the good guys and then bought from them myself.

I have also used local UK jewellers, after doing my homework on them, and have been very happy with the results.

Buying diamonds is no different to buying other items - be aware of all the pitfalls, do your homework thoroughly and then spend your money.

Good luck.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
TwoJs,

I don''t think any vendor is posting their own testimonials.

But, is it possible that the vendor is encouraging his customers to come and post nice things about him on this board? Absolutely. You can tell it''s happening.

If that''s the case is there anything wrong with it?

By the way, it isn''t DCD - our testimonials are unsolicited :)

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone-- I was probably just paranoid. Jim, you were right... I received a PM from someone who figured out who I was talking about, and he said that after he had purchased from that vendor, the vendor requested that he post a testimonial here. That''s probably why there were so many reviews from one-time posters. I don''t really have a problem with solicited praise, as long as it actually comes from a satisfied customer.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I personally don't have a problem with a vendor asking a customer (after a transaction) if he/she is 100% satisfied, and if so, asking the customer to post a positive review on the online forum.

For one thing, we have a unique situation here on PS -- all the various vendors are very openly discussed (the good, the bad and the ugly!
2.gif
) by the many posters. And we humans are, by nature, prone to the phenomenon of telling 10 (or more!) of our friends if we're unhappy with something; but keeping remarkably quiet when we're happy! A gentle request (by the vendor) may be all that's needed to remind the customer that yes, I have been satisfied, and I want to share my good experience with others. It's easy to forget that once that beautiful box comes!

The vendors who take the time to post here do so largely because (IMHO) their passion is diamonds. And if they get some (or even a lot of) business out of it, then I say good for them! They deserve it! They provide great products at very competitive prices, throwing in a whole lot of (free) diamond education to boot. I think that excellent customer service should be recognized and acknowledged. Referrals and testimonials are invaluable for all the vendors, and the sincerest form of flattery.

Lynn

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 5
6.gif
1:25 PM
Author: TwoJs
Thanks everyone-- I was probably just paranoid. Jim, you were right... I received a PM from someone who figured out who I was talking about, and he said that after he had purchased from that vendor, the vendor requested that he post a testimonial here. That''s probably why there were so many reviews from one-time posters. I don''t really have a problem with solicited praise, as long as it actually comes from a satisfied customer.

At first, I was worried and thinking negatively. But, if that''s the case, I don''t mind. I also don''t care about vendors asking their customers to post if they truly are satisfied. Great marketing. My vendor has heard of PS, but I don''t think he''s a great fan cuz he doesn''t have much of an internet presence. Still, I''ll praise the two I places I went to that I felt gave me great service. Even if they asked me to do so, I would have cuz I was that impressed with them.

Still, check out more than one place. I only bought from one place, but I still mention two cuz the one I didn''t buy from impressed me so much. And both stand out even more cuz they weren''t the only places I went to, but their service just proved to be that much better after visiting others.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
You might consider looking under Show Me The Ring and seeing which vendors have sold stones to people on Pricescope.

I bought my ring from Whiteflash and I am so pleased with it and the way I was treated that I frequently recommend them. But they never even suggested that I post anything about them although I did purchase a large stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results