shape
carat
color
clarity

VC setting dilemma, not sure what to do?

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Over the last couple of weeks I've been emailing back and forth with Victor Canera, hoping to organize the setting of my RB D SI1 2.12ct diamond into the beautiful Emilya halo setting.
Thank you also to all the Pricescopers including Susimoo who gave me advice.

Victor is just beyond fantastic to work with and is always so helpful and courteous both via email and on the phone, so the whole process should be relatively easy.....expect that I'm in Sydney!!! Aargh!

Australian Customs has just sent me an email this morning to inform me that not only would I have to pay our 10%GST + 5%Duty on the value of the setting but on the value of the diamond again as well.
I'd also be up for processing, handling, port fees and clearing charges.

This would add at least an extra $4500ish to the cost of the setting and sadly puts it out of my budget.

My options now are to ask Victor to make the setting based on my diamond specs/measurments and ask my jeweller here in Sydney to set it....or swallow my disappointment and try and find something here I love as much.

Has anyone had another jeweller set a diamond into someone else's work? How did it turn out?
Does anyone have any advice?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait. You have to pay taxes a second time on a diamond you already own?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nomissjane|1338940307|3209987 said:
Over the last couple of weeks I've been emailing back and forth with Victor Canera, hoping to organize the setting of my RB D SI1 2.12ct diamond into the beautiful Emilya halo setting.
Thank you also to all the Pricescopers including Susimoo who gave me advice.

Victor is just beyond fantastic to work with and is always so helpful and courteous both via email and on the phone, so the whole process should be relatively easy.....expect that I'm in Sydney!!! Aargh!

Australian Customs has just sent me an email this morning to inform me that not only would I have to pay our 10%GST + 5%Duty on the value of the setting but on the value of the diamond again as well.

This would add at least an extra $4500ish to the cost of the setting and sadly puts it out of my budget.

My options now are to ask Victor to make the setting based on my diamond specs/measurments and ask my jeweller here in Sydney to set it....or swallow my disappointment and try and find something here I love as much.

Has anyone had another jeweller set a diamond into someone else's work? How did it turn out?
Does anyone have any advice?

I did, and it didn't turn out well unfortunately. HOWEVER, that said, it doesn't always turn out badly and plenty of posters have had good experiences. There is another PS poster in Australia, Hawaiian Orange Tree. She had a local jeweler set her diamond in a Brian Gavin setting and it was just fine. Maybe if she sees this, she can recommend the place she used. I don't know if she's in Sydney though. Hopefully she is! Also, there is a PS vendor in New Zealand, Mike Robinson of RDG. Maybe he could do it, but I don't know if that would save you any money?

You really want the Victor Canera setting, so don't give up on it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even thought HOT had her stone set locally, the prongs were not done like BG would have done them, so I do not recommend that at all.

Is there any way you can go to CA for a short vacation and just pick up the ring? I think the trip might be cheaper than to pay a tax twice on the diamond!

If this won't work, what is the tax situation when dealing with NZ? Mike Robinson certainly could make it for you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1338945399|3210040 said:
Even thought HOT had her stone set locally, the prongs were not done like BG would have done them, so I do not recommend that at all.

Is there any way you can go to CA for a short vacation and just pick up the ring? I think the trip might be cheaper than to pay a tax twice on the diamond!

If this won't work, what is the tax situation when dealing with NZ? Mike Robinson certainly could make it for you.
I would think it would be cheaper or at maybe equal, and then at least you got a short vacation from it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

But I wonder if HOT didn't think/know to request claw prongs? The setting job itself was sound, just not claw finished. I assume you have to specifically request that (outside of the PS vendors).

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock

Oh diamondseeker2006, I'd love to go for a holiday to LA but we are just about to leave next week for a little over a month long holiday in Europe with our two year old...add to this that I'm 23weeks pregnant with our second and I just can't see another OS holiday happening before this new little one arrives. The US is at least a 30 something hour journey each way.
It's such a bummer being soooo far away!

Sadly I would also have to pay the same GST cost for the whole value of the ring if I sent my diamond to Mike in New Zealand as well, so that would leave me in the same boat.

Having seen so many detailed and great photos of everyone's Emilya on SMTB I almost feel like I've seen it in person and considering my overall butterflies about going the custom route, hearing about everyone else's experience with VC's settings has made the idea of a setting from him an easy and confident decision. I can't speak highly enough of his professionalism and level of courteous service.

I'm starting to think that I could get VC to make the setting and send it over for me to have my diamond set...in which case I may or may not love the prongs etc.
Or, I could have a jeweller here try to custom make something in a similar style to the Emilya and run the risk of none of it being just right IYKWIM.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
ame|1338944645|3210032 said:
Wait. You have to pay taxes a second time on a diamond you already own?

I know, I was gobsmacked!

Thinking i was doing my homework, I rang the Australian customs hotline and was advised on two occasions that it shouldn't be a problem since I could show all of the previous receipts and certification for my diamond from its purchase in 2006 when we paid GST on it then.

Thank goodness Victor prompted me to get confirmation in writing, so I emailed the Senior Customs officer who wrote back outlining why this was not the case and who said that by sending the diamond over loose and having it return loose was not a problem, but the act of setting it down into the ring 'modified' it and so duty and tax would have to be paid all over again.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
not only would I have to pay our 10%GST + 5%Duty on the value of the setting but on the value of the diamond again as well.

Are you sure this is correct and not a misunderstanding on someones part? I doesn't make sense to have to pay taxes twice on a single property. :???: I would ask for clarification before I get too bent out of shape. Is there a customs office locally that you could visit in person? I think it's much easier to get resolution in person than it is through email where content can be misinterpreted and misunderstood. I'd try that first. Good Luck! :))

EDIT: sorry, I started to post and then walked away to do a errand, and then you posted your response to Ame before I finished my post. I would ask to speak to someone else again. I've had different government officials give me conflicting information before as well, and it's extremely frustrating, but this just doesn't sound right to me at all. The diamond itself isn't being modified, and your paying taxes on the setting, so it just doesn't make sense. Is there a supervisor you can contact?

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Christina...|1338948406|3210081 said:
not only would I have to pay our 10%GST + 5%Duty on the value of the setting but on the value of the diamond again as well.

Are you sure this is correct and not a misunderstanding on someones part? I doesn't make sense to have to pay taxes twice on a single property. :???: I would ask for clarification before I get too bent out of shape. Is there a customs office locally that you could visit in person? I think it's much easier to get resolution in person than it is through email where content can be misinterpreted and misunderstood. I'd try that first. Good Luck! :))

EDIT: sorry, I started to post and then walked away to do a errand, and then you posted your response to Ame before I finished my post. I would ask to speak to someone else again. I've had different government officials give me conflicting information before as well, and it's extremely frustrating, but this just doesn't sound right to me at all. The diamond itself isn't being modified, and your paying taxes on the setting, so it just doesn't make sense. Is there a supervisor you can contact?

Hi Christina, I know it just doesn't sound right to me either but I had an email from the Senior Customs Officer to that effect and questioning it myself I then rang his dept this morning to clarify and was told exactly the same thing from another officer from this dept.
Apparently it's got to do with the setting 'modifying' the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think I would have the diamond set in a solitaire until you can take a trip to CA. Victor could probably make the setting knowing the dimensions of the diamond, and then you could bring him the diamond set in the solitaire and he could set it in the new setting for you. I just wouldn't settle for less than what you want, although if a trip to NZ would be easier for you to do sooner than CA, I would still consider Mike. Both men are master craftsmen, that is for sure!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1338950629|3210106 said:
Well, I think I would have the diamond set in a solitaire until you can take a trip to CA. Victor could probably make the setting knowing the dimensions of the diamond, and then you could bring him the diamond set in the solitaire and he could set it in the new setting for you. I just wouldn't settle for less than what you want, although if a trip to NZ would be easier for you to do sooner than CA, I would still consider Mike. Both men are master craftsmen, that is for sure!

I agree with this 100%!!! I would give RDG a call and just see what they have to say. I'm actually really jealous that you are so close to them. ;))

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi :wavey:

I am just running out the door, so this will be short!!! I will reply more fully this evening!!

THIS IS NOT RIGHT!!!!

If it was how come I sent mine without the charges on my diamond? Fluke?

Also, I have just received my old 4 prong setting back from Wink who has just set a "you know what" in it, for travel purposes.
Now the cost of the setting plus the "you know what" would have attracted the 10% plus 5% surcharges, but DIDN"T!!

I believe it is all down to the invoice and how it is written. I cannot, cannot believe that you would be charged twice. Especially when the declaration should only be for the setting and shipping, NOT including the centre stone!! (sorry for shouting but I am very upset on your behalf!!!!)

Victor has sent to a number of clients in Australia, including Sydney. I am sure in his experience he hasn't seen customers being charged twice.

I know the PS who got the Emilya 3 stone had it made to fit her diamond and had it set in Sydney (I think). However, I would only let Victor touch those prongs!!

I'll be back!!! Do not give up!!!

:bigsmile:

Edited because I don't type well, fast! :lol:

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We have the same tax structure in Canada. Its ridiculous. I got around it by having the setting shipped from tacori in the US, 'mounting' the diamond (wrapped in paper and a baggy for protection) into the setting with tape and sending it back to them for a 'Return and Repair' as customs calls it. They repaired my sloppy setting job lol!!!!

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock

Diamondseeker, sorry I should clarify. My diamond is already set in a very lovely platinum solitaire setting so this is purely a 'vanity' reset.
I love my diamond and doubt I would ever upgrade it, but I have no problem exchanging its designer duds for some couture...hehe.
I've had a tricky year last year with many, many rounds of ivf and so this will be a celebration present that we're happily now pregnant as well as for my 40th which sadly is next month.
Since we are going away to Europe next week and I'll be heavily pregnant when we return, I' don't expect that I'll be doing any overseas holidays for a few years now. I'll happily travel with one toddler but I think I might struggle with two.

If it turns out that I can't send my diamond over without incurring the tax again, Im thinking that I may ask VC to make me the ring, have the diamond set here in Sydney and then hope that it's not long before I can visit LA and have him redo those gorgeous prongs himself.

To be honest I don't reeaally need this reset, I just really, really want it...which I'm guessing most Pricescopers will understand as almost the same thing!

Susimoo, thanks for your outrage on my behalf...I'm totally flummoxed too.
I've now called Customs again this afternoon and spoken to a 4th person who initially thought that maybe I'd just have to do an export declaration for it as it leaves the country, but 'she's not sure' and so is going to delve deeper and get back to me again.
I'm not surprised that many people find this customs process a pain in the butt considering it doesn't seem like even any of the customs officials are completely sure what the correct advice is.

If I'm really honest with myself I think I'm just hoping that some of you fellow 'enablers' would tell me that it's not such a crappy idea to have someone set it into VCs setting here in Sydney...I've got it stuck it my head now and nothing else seems to compare anymore.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I was involved in another discussion on this subject a few weeks ago ... was it with you? Do you want me to see if I can find the link again? ... but in the meantime ...

Did the customs agent mention the AUS-US Free Trade Agreement at all?

Here are a few things I can find quickly ...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-delivered-to-australia-without-customs-import-duty-yeahhh.135724/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-delivered-to-australia-without-customs-import-duty-yeahhh.135724/[/URL]

My understanding is that you will pay GST (but this should only be on the setting - but it would help if can you prove you've already paid GST on the stone. Did you keep the receipt?) but no customs duty.... by applying for concessional rate of duty as per the Australian - US Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA), under shedule 5 of the Tariff Act. Even if they do make you pay GST on the full amount - so that you can take delivery - you should be able to apply for a refund after the fact.

CL2

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link CL2.
This has been my experience with customs in the past. Last year I purchased my BGD signature martini studs, which were sent over with the right duty exemptions as per our fair trade agreement and so I had hoped that the same might apply in this case as well, except in this case because I'm sending my diamond over and having it set they seem to want to charge me GST and duty on the total amount for that too.

The following is the email that I received from the Aust Customs Dept, which seems to contradict all the advice that I've been given over the phone from the Customs hotline. Beyond frustrating.

Dear

"Thank you for your email regarding the ring. In response, unfortunately, the whole value of the item on return would be subject to duty (5%) and GST (10%). The diamond is set in the ring (production assist) and imported in a modified form. Hence no exemptions would be applicable even though the diamond which is a part of it was exported.

Note: This is in addition to processing, port, handling and clearance charges.

You may seek a formal tariff advice+ on this.  
General Tariff:
GST is worked out on all costs (VOTI- Value of Taxable Import, i.e. Invoice/Actual value (+duty), Overseas Transport and Insurance). You may choose to refer on the customs website: 1) www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/DocImpDecGuide.pdf... Page 25 of the Comprehensive guide for duty/GST calculations 2) Home > Import Export > Customs Tariff > Working Tariff Page - Sch3 - for tariff classification and exact duty rates for a particular item*, and also the Sch 4 for tariff concessions if any on the same. 3) Home > Import Export > Importing goods > Buying over the Internet. 4) Home > Import Export > Importing goods > Importing Goods by Post.
+The contacts for Tariff Advice if required is on link: Home > Import Export > Customs Tariff > Customs tariff advice system.
Prior to making a decision you should take into account the restrictions if any, and costs involved in the process. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries regarding this matter.

Sincerely"

Jane101

Rough_Rock
Hi - sorry but I haven't got time to write much of a response - have a 3 week old baby! If there is anyway you can email me directly/pm me I am happy to talk or catch up if you want to see my ring in person. I have been through exactly your issues when I had my trilogy halo made by victor and I live in Sydney. I had the same issues with customs so he made my ring with a cz ( matched to the size of my centre diamond 1.6 ct), and I got my jeweler in Sydney to swap the stones. I had no issues at all - and the ring is still perfect. Apparently as the ring is platinum my jeweler in Sydney said it was quite easy as the prongs were easy/soft to remove diamond. I posted pictures on pricescope of the ring if you want to look (just search victor canera trilogy halo). Sorry for such a rushed email.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm ... I was wondering if this was a view that they would take. I suspected as much.

It seems if you import anything of value (regardless of the fact that you already own it) they're gonna charge GST! It begs the question how they determine the value?! How would they even know!

I was thinking of sending my e-ring over for a re-set, but because of this very issue, decided against it.

As a matter of common sense, one would think that if you can prove you own the diamond, have already paid GST on it once, that you shouldn't be subjected to paying GST again. The receipt from Victor will only be for the cost of the setting (and any postage charges) so surely, when they look at the actual paperwork, they can only charge GST based on the invoice?!

I'd keep trying until you get an answer that makes actual sense.

Just so you know, that "transformation" test that your agent was talking about is contained in s.153YE Customs Act 1901(Cth) - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1901124/s153ye.html - it seems to relate to whether something can be classified as a US originating item for the purposes of the AUSFTA - but this is not the issue here ... you know you would qualify for the exemption/reduced rate under AUSFTA as it would be considered a "US originating item" ... but the issue is the payment of GST - they are wanting to charge it on the combined value, stone + setting - where you have already paid GST on the stone.

I've had a quick read of the sections relating to s.153YE in this http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/AUSFTAInstructionsandGuidelines-Final.pdf - and it seems to me that they work on the combined value ie, the value of the US originating item - so although an item may be made of many component parts, some of which not originating in the US, if the finish product is the result of a manufacturing process in the US, it then becomes an item of "US origin".

It does not look good ... but like I said, I'd keep trying. These sorts of things are all questions of interpretation - which is why some people get away with it, and others don't. Depends on the customs agent and how they feel on the day I guess. If you are concerned, maybe see if you can get some sort of advanced ruling. I don't think that charging GST twice falls within the spirit or intent of the legislation ... I just don't think they thought about someone like you when they drafted this!

I think Jane101's suggestion is probably the best way to go.

CL2

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Hi there I have nothing helpful to add I'm afraid but just wanted to say that this is why I love PSers - everyone is just so darned helpful at making sure we all get our sparkly dreams fulfilled :)

Good luck and don't settle!

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea how customs and importing works, BUT is there any way you could send your diamond to victor, and he could reset it, and send it to you in London while you're on holiday? Then you could just wear it back to Australia...and maybe the customs people in England wouldn't charge you because you aren't a resident/citizen? Again, I have no idea how all of these taxes work...but just wondering if that would be an option!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nomissjane|1338964482|3210194 said:

Diamondseeker, sorry I should clarify. My diamond is already set in a very lovely platinum solitaire setting so this is purely a 'vanity' reset.
I love my diamond and doubt I would ever upgrade it, but I have no problem exchanging its designer duds for some couture...hehe.
I've had a tricky year last year with many, many rounds of ivf and so this will be a celebration present that we're happily now pregnant as well as for my 40th which sadly is next month.
Since we are going away to Europe next week and I'll be heavily pregnant when we return, I' don't expect that I'll be doing any overseas holidays for a few years now. I'll happily travel with one toddler but I think I might struggle with two.

If it turns out that I can't send my diamond over without incurring the tax again, Im thinking that I may ask VC to make me the ring, have the diamond set here in Sydney and then hope that it's not long before I can visit LA and have him redo those gorgeous prongs himself.

To be honest I don't reeaally need this reset, I just really, really want it...which I'm guessing most Pricescopers will understand as almost the same thing!

Susimoo, thanks for your outrage on my behalf...I'm totally flummoxed too.
I've now called Customs again this afternoon and spoken to a 4th person who initially thought that maybe I'd just have to do an export declaration for it as it leaves the country, but 'she's not sure' and so is going to delve deeper and get back to me again.
I'm not surprised that many people find this customs process a pain in the butt considering it doesn't seem like even any of the customs officials are completely sure what the correct advice is.

If I'm really honest with myself I think I'm just hoping that some of you fellow 'enablers' would tell me that it's not such a crappy idea to have someone set it into VCs setting here in Sydney...I've got it stuck it my head now and nothing else seems to compare anymore.

I did. ;)) You have your heart set on the VC setting. Nothing else will do, and I totally understand how that is when your heart is set on something! I truly think you should go for it.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
CaratLover2|1338976710|3210230 said:
Hmmmm ... I was wondering if this was a view that they would take. I suspected as much.

It seems if you import anything of value (regardless of the fact that you already own it) they're gonna charge GST! It begs the question how they determine the value?! How would they even know!

I was thinking of sending my e-ring over for a re-set, but because of this very issue, decided against it.

As a matter of common sense, one would think that if you can prove you own the diamond, have already paid GST on it once, that you shouldn't be subjected to paying GST again. The receipt from Victor will only be for the cost of the setting (and any postage charges) so surely, when they look at the actual paperwork, they can only charge GST based on the invoice?!

I'd keep trying until you get an answer that makes actual sense.

Just so you know, that "transformation" test that your agent was talking about is contained in s.153YE Customs Act 1901(Cth) - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1901124/s153ye.html - it seems to relate to whether something can be classified as a US originating item for the purposes of the AUSFTA - but this is not the issue here ... you know you would qualify for the exemption/reduced rate under AUSFTA as it would be considered a "US originating item" ... but the issue is the payment of GST - they are wanting to charge it on the combined value, stone + setting - where you have already paid GST on the stone.

I've had a quick read of the sections relating to s.153YE in this http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/AUSFTAInstructionsandGuidelines-Final.pdf - and it seems to me that they work on the combined value ie, the value of the US originating item - so although an item may be made of many component parts, some of which not originating in the US, if the finish product is the result of a manufacturing process in the US, it then becomes an item of "US origin".

It does not look good ... but like I said, I'd keep trying. These sorts of things are all questions of interpretation - which is why some people get away with it, and others don't. Depends on the customs agent and how they feel on the day I guess. If you are concerned, maybe see if you can get some sort of advanced ruling. I don't think that charging GST twice falls within the spirit or intent of the legislation ... I just don't think they thought about someone like you when they drafted this!

I think Jane101's suggestion is probably the best way to go.

CL2

Thanks so much CL2 for going to the trouble of posting those links. I love Pricescopers.
I think your very right about the levels of interpretation of the legislation, sadly it's just too much money for me to chance it.

Jane101, your ring is just stunning! I have seen this on Victors website but didn't realize it belonged to a Pricescopers and an Aussie from Sydney.
You've given me hope. Im thinking that this may be exactly the route I will go with too.
I don't believe that we are able to PM on this site, but would love to know who you got to set your stone.
I'm assuming that Victor set the side stones for you, and if so your Sydney jeweller has done a really lovey job as I can't seem to tell the difference between the three stones.
Congratulations on your new baby. I remember the blur of those first few weeks. It will only be a matter of months before I'm back in them myself...pity we can't bank sleep.

I'll keep everyone updated on what the 'official' response is from customs. It may be helpful to other Aussies in the same boat. I'm sure I won't be the last Australian to have their heart set on one of Victors fabulous creations.

Thanks again to all the enablers. :lol:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello

I am back. :wavey:

I have been racking my brain about this all afternoon. Not that that takes much anymore! :wacko: :bigsmile:

Would it help if I dig out all my paperwork and see what was stated on the Fedex declarations? Maybe not, given that Victor probably already told you how he would handle it.

Now I am not the first, nor the last, to have sent a diamond to be reset. So why are they insisting that you have to pay Tax on your diamond when so many others clearly have not done so.

Would it be against the rules to say it is going for a repair?

I am not helping. I know. Just thinking out loud. I really am upset that you are not getting the information you need before you can make an informed decision.

Let me know if I can help with any way!!!

Got my fingers crossed. Think you will get it sorted out though!! ;))

:wavey:

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I've recently had a very similar conversation with UK customs and it sounds like the rules are the same as Australia's -- the agent I spoke to used tires as an example. He said if I bought 4 tires from the US and accepted delivery, I'd pay X amount in fees based on the value of the tires. If I decided to send those tires back to the US and have them put on a Ferrari and have that Ferrari shipped back to me, I'd pay X amount of fees based on the value of the whole car, tires and all. Apparently the tires have a different "value" when attached to a car.

So, it follows that a diamond has a different value depending on whether it's in a setting or not, even if it's the exact same diamond.

My logic was that I should only be charged the difference between the value of the diamond unset versus the value of the diamond in the setting if it's my diamond and I've already paid customs fees on it when it was loose. He said it didn't work that way and that it was the item as a whole that was valued. I would also have to pay customs fees if I'd bought the diamond in the UK and then sent it abroad to be set -- he wasn't terribly clear on how my having already paid VAT on the stone within the UK would affect the amount of customs fees, though. :confused:

I can see how it makes sense from a customs standpoint, but it's lacking in common sense, isn't it? :roll:

I think what makes it worse is that it's the luck of the draw sometimes with customs charges -- sometimes I'm charged, sometimes I'm not. I tend to only be charged on items I end up returning, which means I have to do a load of paperwork in order to get the customs fees back. I always do, but it's a hassle.

I think Jane101's idea of having the setting done with a CZ is a good one and is probably what I'd do.

Honestly, I would have SO MUCH MORE JEWELLERY if I didn't have to think about customs fees, which is probably just as well, in my husband's opinion! :lol:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nomissjane|1338964482|3210194 said:

Haha, so true. I really hope you get this sorted, and I think the idea of setting a temp CZ in the setting and then having your diamond set in it by someone local may be the best option. If the prongs are already finished to Victor standards, they won't be having to make the seat, trim/finish the prongs, etc, so it will look more like a VC setting job than otherwise, I think.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a dumb question. The VC setting is going to be fairly expensive, yes? If you're a random customs person, and you open a package containing a diamond ring, and the invoice is priced in the thousands, that all seems correct, right? How would customs even know that you got an expensive custom setting and put an existing diamond into it, versus bought a complete ring? Why wouldn't an invoice for "$x,000" for "diamond ring" be sufficient to satisfy customs? Are they going to know that you're shipping out the diamond? I honestly think you may be overthinking this, assuming that Victor would be able to prepare an invoice that just identifies a completed diamond ring (for the cost of the setting), I don't see how customs would ever know that you had shipped your stone over for setting?

ETA: To clarify, VC wouldn't be doing anything incorrect, I wouldn't think - he isn't selling you the diamond, but he is selling you a ring, right? How would customs ever know the value of the diamond separately unless you or VC told them about it, comprende?

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
MizNina|1338978016|3210239 said:
Hi there I have nothing helpful to add I'm afraid but just wanted to say that this is why I love PSers - everyone is just so darned helpful at making sure we all get our sparkly dreams fulfilled :)

Good luck and don't settle!

Well said! I have been really grateful for all of the helpful advice I've received here.
I'm so lucky that I found this site before we purchased my E ring diamond 6 years ago, since then I've learnt so much from here and that like its helped me make some really good choices with my purchases.
Problem is that now I know what the best examples of craftsmanship looks like, nothing else stacks up.

My hubby thinks I was much easier to please before Pricescope! Hehe.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
milton333|1339019222|3210711 said:
Maybe a dumb question. The VC setting is going to be fairly expensive, yes? If you're a random customs person, and you open a package containing a diamond ring, and the invoice is priced in the thousands, that all seems correct, right? How would customs even know that you got an expensive custom setting and put an existing diamond into it, versus bought a complete ring? Why wouldn't an invoice for "$x,000" for "diamond ring" be sufficient to satisfy customs? Are they going to know that you're shipping out the diamond? I honestly think you may be overthinking this, assuming that Victor would be able to prepare an invoice that just identifies a completed diamond ring (for the cost of the setting), I don't see how customs would ever know that you had shipped your stone over for setting?

ETA: To clarify, VC wouldn't be doing anything incorrect, I wouldn't think - he isn't selling you the diamond, but he is selling you a ring, right? How would customs ever know the value of the diamond separately unless you or VC told them about it, comprende?

Hey Milton, not a dumb question at all I don't think, and I'm just guessing but I'd be sending the diamond back and forth FedEx/insured and I expect that the value of the diamond on the insurance paperwork would give the game away.
Good idea, but I'm just not prepared to send it off through the post with no insurance.

Ive spoken to the ever patient Victor and I think that I'll go with Jane101 idea of having him make the ring to my diamonds measurments using a CZ. It's not the most ideal solution but I think it's the one that I'm most comfortable with, unless of course Customs gets back to me today with an official turnaround on their advice.

Jane101, I wondering if you happen to pop back into this thread if you wouldn't mind sharing who your jeweller was that set your diamond into Victors setting?

Jane101

Rough_Rock
Hi,
The jeweller in Sydney I used was Philip steel, located in the dymocks building 5/428 GEorge street. I have used him for a few custom things over the years and am very happy with his work - quite old fashioned and his office is not glamorous but he knows what he is doing. When I took my ring in the change the diamond over it was done within the hour and it was perfect. Only the centre diamond was transferred, as the two side diamonds were purchased and set by victor. I cannot stress how happy I am with my ring - I haven't seen anyone work in Sydney that compares with victors pave work. I also had the same issues about paying gst again on the diamond if it incorporated into a new ring - crazy - but both customs and frees confirmed this. I also wasn't prepared to send my diamond back from victors uninsured. You won't be disappointed if you go ahead with victors ring. I also was pregnant when I organized my ring - an early push present and I can assure you that when I am up breastfeeding in the middle of the night I love looking at my ring - somehow it makes it all worthwhile ( as we'll as the baby). Lol - only on pricescope can you joke about the joy of diamonds and beautifully made jewellery (over babies) ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results