shape
carat
color
clarity

USPS Registered Mail for ring shipment?

JamiSteven

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I am in the process of getting the engagement ring shipped from my parents place back to me, and have read that USPS Registered Mail is the best option for this as they insure up to 25k. Problem is I dont see any mention of "registered mail" on USPS' website. I have tried calling them and keep getting put on hold, does anybody here have recent experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

-Jami

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1415724836|3781347 said:
Here you go:
https://about.usps.com/publications/pub370/pub370_012.htm
https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

I just used this service recently so I know Registered Mail is still in use, together with the added insurance option.
You can't buy it online or from services like stamps.com. You have to show up at a post office in person. Also note, they have some fairly restrictive rules on packaging. It's not that they're difficult to do but, for example, they'll decline the shipment if you use plastic tape. The rules are explained in the links above.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS insures but they don't always pay out the amount that they insure! I experienced this just last month. I insured a ring for $199 and it was never delivered. I was only paid back $57 dollars! I wrote an appeal and was denied. No explanation. Nothing. Just an email communicating that I was denied. There is no one to contact either, no real person to speak to. I had already talked to several people only to find out that the ring was never delivered, then I was given the online site to file a claim. But after their judgement of paying me only a fraction of my insurance and value of the ring, I seriously wonder if they every fully reimburse anyone the full amount. I will NEVER buy their insurance again. I'll try my luck with FED EX or UPS, even if it is more expensive, they don't seem as incompetent.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nala|1415727917|3781378 said:
USPS insures but they don't always pay out the amount that they insure! I experienced this just last month. I insured a ring for $199 and it was never delivered. I was only paid back $57 dollars! I wrote an appeal and was denied. No explanation. Nothing. Just an email communicating that I was denied. There is no one to contact either, no real person to speak to. I had already talked to several people only to find out that the ring was never delivered, then I was given the online site to file a claim. But after their judgement of paying me only a fraction of my insurance and value of the ring, I seriously wonder if they every fully reimburse anyone the full amount. I will NEVER buy their insurance again. I'll try my luck with FED EX or UPS, even if it is more expensive, they don't seem as incompetent.

I've had to make a claim on registered mail insurance and was paid the full amount. I'm sorry that you had that experience. :nono:

OP, if you do mail registered mail, I've found it's easier to take the item to the post office and buy all the packing materials there and put it together at the counter. You're required to seal the package with special brown tape, and all clear packing tape must be removed, etc. It's a pain but it's worth it for the security IMO.

JamiSteven

Rough_Rock

Can you say, legal action?! I would definitely lawyer up.

JamiSteven

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, this process is super scary and im pretty worried about it. Is USPS really the best way to do this? Ive never had a problem with UPS, FedEx, or DHL but have had problems with the postal service in the past... This is a fairly nice ring in a Leon Mege setting, and it hasnt made its way to my fiance to be's finger just yet, really need to make sure I get it here safely!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
USPS Registered Mail is awesome/awful.

Awful: you have to use their special tape to seal the package, the tracking is non-existent (it shows when the package is shipped, and after it arrives, but nothing in between, so you are in limbo as to its progress), takes a long time to get there

Awesome: very secure (which is why it takes so long - moving from signed lock-box to signed lock-box), high insurance value, has a good track record of delivery, pretty affordable.

Many folks will only ship with Registered. Reliable, but slow.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did you submit written proof it was worth $199?, like a receipt or recent appraisal stating $199?

I know that is required for them to pay a claim, and I'm sure it's in writing somewhere.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I used it this past September for my engagement ring that was insured by JM. I was nervous about it, but JM and the vendor (BGD- respected PS vendor) both suggested it. It took longer than I liked (a little less than 2 weeks) and there was no tracking information (for the safety of the item and the postal workers transporting it) but it got there.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JamiSteven|1415756923|3781693 said:
Thanks guys, this process is super scary and im pretty worried about it. Is USPS really the best way to do this? Ive never had a problem with UPS, FedEx, or DHL but have had problems with the postal service in the past... This is a fairly nice ring in a Leon Mege setting, and it hasnt made its way to my fiance to be's finger just yet, really need to make sure I get it here safely!

I have used USPS for jewelry, & it worked just fine. I also would not tape up your package at home as they do tape it up in front of you with a special brown tape. Just make sure it is sent registered, insured & signature required for delivery, & keep all your receipts until it makes the trip safe & sound.

Best of luck with your proposal, congrats! :appl:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1415759516|3781722 said:

Did you submit written proof it was worth $199?, like a receipt or recent appraisal stating $199?

I know that is required for them to pay a claim, and I'm sure it's in writing somewhere.

Yes! I submitted my receipt with the description of the ring that matched the paypal transaction. They investigated for 45 days and then just sent me a check for a fraction. It's very frustrating but after my appeal and my rejection, I just dropped it because there is no live person to talk to about this as they all refer me to the online form.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1415762595|3781763 said:

Yes! I submitted my receipt with the description of the ring that matched the paypal transaction. They investigated for 45 days and then just sent me a check for a fraction. It's very frustrating but after my appeal and my rejection, I just dropped it because there is no live person to talk to about this as they all refer me to the online form.

Nala, I am sorry that happened. AS long as you have a purchase receipt showing value, I don't understand the problem. I would definitely try to inquire at your local PO. But to clarify, this surely was not registered mail, right? It is extremely rare for a Registered Mail item to be lost.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used Registered Mail many times. I usually package mine at home. I wrap in brown paper and then seal all edges with brown paper tape (not shiny). Then they stamp all the edges to make it more obvious if it is tampered with. But it is the safest way to send valuable
jewelry because UPS and FedEx will not insure jewelry (or at least not over a small amount).

Just be aware it can take a few days to a couple of weeks (and can be longer) for the package to arrive. It will NOT show tracking other than leaving your PO and then when delivered. People come here all the time in a panic because the site doesn't show the item's location as it travels.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Is your ring already insured through a separate company? I would just insure it through jewelers mutual and then use their guidelines. They say not to put anywhere that it is a piece of jewelry and send it in a small box inside a larger box. Then if something happens, you would be reimbursed through the direct insurance rather than po.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow.
I'm very disappointed to hear this.
I've always trusted USPS Registered. :blackeye:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
JamiSteven|1415756923|3781693 said:

Depending on the amount you would like to ship it for, you may only be able to send it through USPS. When I was trying to ship my pear diamond, I was told I had to use USPS because the other shippers did not insure for that amount. I asked why jewelers used Fedex to send me stuff and was told them have some special arrangement in regards to jewelry. Who knows what the truth is?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Fed ex does not insure private jewelry shipments over $500 or 1k I forget which. BUT you can actually go directly to UPS and have them pack it and then you can insure for high value-I shipped something with them last year for $15,000.00 insured BUT it was very expensive. Regular jewelry insurance is so affordable, so I always insure my jewelry if it is a high value piece.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1415785842|3781858 said:

Wow.
I'm very disappointed to hear this.
I've always trusted USPS Registered. :blackeye:

I've always trusted USPS Registered - but it is still not clear to me that nala used Registered Mail; only that she used USPS Insurance.

I do know of an instance where a friend sold an item on eBay for less than she originally paid. She shipped USPS regular mail and insured it for the amount she originally paid (and for which she had a receipt), *not* the amount of the PayPal transaction - when the item was declared lost, her claim referenced the eBay/PayPal transaction and subsequently she was reimbursed the amount of the eBay/PayPal transaction, not the full original price she had paid. I don't know if this is USPS policy in these kinds of re-sale situations; and I don't know if she would have had the option to present the claim without referencing the eBay transaction.

AstonMartin

Rough_Rock
Wow thats sad to hear that you didn't get refunded the whole amount.

But, what was their rational? There should be something.

I don't agree to 'lawyer up',..... fees will cost you wayyyyyy more than the cost of the loss. Not that this makes it acceptable, but I would just investigate my options and what their case is. Don't give up - small claims is an interesting place and not hard to navigate as a lay-person (not to judge anyone, but anymore in general who is not a lawyer).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nala, was this sent Registered mail, or just insured regular mail?
This is a very important distinction because here on PS many of us ship valuable jewelry.

JamiSteven

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. Im going to go with UPS instead, as you can insure up to 15k with them and it doesnt take two weeks to get here. I need it by the 20th before the trip to Switzerland.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JamiSteven|1415820545|3782134 said:
Thanks all. Im going to go with UPS instead, as you can insure up to 15k with them and it doesnt take two weeks to get here. I need it by the 20th before the trip to Switzerland.

I think UPS's international insurance limit for jewelry is $500.
Even within the US I believe the insurance limit for jewelry is much lower than $15,000.

Please check.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
If sending a package from Canada, no carrier wants to cover jewellery. Period. The two big ones (FedEx and UPS) will insure up to $500. excluding jewellery and combustibles.

Canada Post will give you a tracking number if it's insured for $200. or more. Still no jewellery, though.

I have been forced to send jewellery via my town's jeweller. I can't buy equal quality from him, but for an ever increasing price, he will send it under his store policy. It's at a point now where the cost of doing this is just too much. :((

JamiSteven

Rough_Rock
kenny|1415824434|3782187 said:
JamiSteven|1415820545|3782134 said:

I think UPS's international insurance limit for jewelry is $500.
Even within the US I believe the insurance limit for jewelry is much lower than $15,000.

Please check.

Thanks, they let me insure it for the amount I needed, it was like 140 to ship it but worth it to me. Should have it today!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results