shape
carat
color
clarity

Using Victor Canera, but what melee? Full vs Single

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Hi, PS-ers!

I need your expertise on which type of melee to go with.

I have a 2.6 round brilliant (full 57 facets) ideal cut stone going to be set in a Emilya setting; however, I have come across two types of melees. Single cuts, which has only 17 facets to produce broader sparkle, and full cut 57 facets that will produce smaller, pinpoint flashes. Some say full cut melees will produce flash that will be "too busy".

If I were going to go with a Emily round halo, which type of cuts should I go with and why?
What do people generally go with?
What did Frankie go with?

My hope is that the melee and center stone blend together and sparkle in such a way that you can't tell there is a halo around the center stone (i.e.; they sparkle equally in terms of intensity and broadness/pinpoints).

Please provide your inputs. I have a call meeting with VC tomorrow morning:)

Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, great question and I could be totally wrong here (because I am still feeling sort of new to the whole antique cut genre) but I think full cut melee generally suits modern cuts and single cuts are better suited to antique diamonds. Though I know some people here prefer the single cut with their modern stones so I guess it really depends. Today I tried on some full cut bands with my antique stone and I didn't care for the look. It really depends on the eye of the beholder so I guess there is no right/wrong answer. Good luck-I am sure whatever you decide on will be gorgeous. Trust Victor-he has an amazing eye!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are working with a master jewelry designer who has the very best eye for what will look best! He made some sapphire halo earrings for me and he recommended single cuts. I pretty much let him do it however he wanted and they are gorgeous. And that is my advice to you...let him tell you his opinion and then go with it!

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Evening, ladies:)

This was from VC some time ago:

Since you have a round brilliant you could definitely use both single and full cuts.
Single-cut are usually more "mellow". They have fewer facets on them than full cuts and so they reflect a little bit larger reflections of light. I think the comparison would be like an Old European cut vs a modern round but in a much smaller scale.

So that didn't really help me..haha.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe as he creates the ring, he can source out both options for you and then give you a progress report so you can pick which you prefer. Does he do that sort of thing? or is it basically his call as to what looks best?

I like Missy's description above - and if your diamond is a MRB, I'd be more inclined to stick with full cuts... but you never know!! And honestly, I'd defer to Victor's expertise in the end.

Good luck! It sounds like its going to be one amazing ring!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vr4_rider|1360544833|3377035 said:
Hi, PS-ers!

My hope is that the melee and center stone blend together and sparkle in such a way that you can't tell there is a halo around the center stone (i.e.; they sparkle equally in terms of intensity and broadness/pinpoints).

Thanks!

I missed this- I think you answered your own question. Full cuts sparkle more like MRB's. And as I and DS wrote-trust Victor's eye!

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Hi, Missy.

I don't think I solved my own problem. Here's why. My full cut stone will have bigger facets (because it's a larger stone) than the facets on a full cut melee. So my rationale is, the full cut melee will have tinier sparkles due to its tinier facets.

But I don't know if that's true, because this is all new to me..haha.

I wish I can just walk into VC's office so he can show me..haha.

I'll trust what he says tomorrow, but I thought I would get other opinions who have experienced both types of cuts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to have a single cut halo. I now have a full cut halo.

I prefer full cut for a number of reasons. If you do a search for "full single gypsy" you'll probably find a lot of threads on the subject.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankie has full cuts in her VC halo and I happen to have single cuts in my MRB VC halo, so to each their own!

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Thank you, mom2boys.

Please describe how your melee flashes compare with your center stone flashes. Do you have any regrets?

From my reading, the only big downside with single cuts is the replacement of them. Is losing melees such a concern with such high quality jewelry such as VC?

Gypsy,

Can you tell me more about your ring? You have too many posts..haha. Can you tell me the pro/cons of full vs single. I've read 10 threads so far with your name in it, but only thing I noticed is that you don't like the ideal of having to replace single cuts, and that you like the looks of both.

Forgetting about replacement issues, which look would you rather have?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tendency would be to go for the single cuts for the contrast if Victor thinks it is a good idea. Gypsy did the opposite contrast...asscher center and full cut melee.

It's not going to be a problem replacing the melee because I assume you wouldn't let anyone but Victor work on the ring anyway.

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
That's right, DS. If a melee falls out regardless of what type, VC would only do the work:)

From my readings, Gary writes this:

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » 07 May 2008 22:37
Close up the single cuts can look Ok, but from further away the chance of seeing a flash becomes very small.
I think I am converting to being a full cut fan.

moms2boys, do you notice that further away, your single cuts sparkly less? Can you compare with a full cut?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor recommended single cuts, which give off broader flashes of light and sparkle in all environments! I wanted something different and they happened to match my single cut micropave bands also. The cost is a little more but worth it for a quality product! No loose melee either thus far!

This is my ring so judge for yourself, especially in the video:
http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/dual-shank-halo-solitaire.html

I don't think you can go wrong either way!

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Hey, Charmypoo and moms2boys.

Thanks for your inputs.

Charmypoo, what kind of center stone do you have? Why do you like full cuts better? Can you compare and contrast the two?

I talked to the man himself today, and have decided to go with full cuts.

Two questions for anyone:
1) How symmetrical are the 57 facets on a full cut melee? I mean, those melees are tiny! Are they machine cut or hand cut?
2) Would it be much to ask for Victor to hand select the melees that best display the arrows pattern?

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, you can confirm with him that he's using ideal cut (H&A) melee. I'd think that he would, but you can always confirm for your peace of mind. Is there a color grade difference between your center stone and the halo stones?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vr4_rider|1360626789|3377898 said:
Hey, Charmypoo and moms2boys.

Thanks for your inputs.

Charmypoo, what kind of center stone do you have? Why do you like full cuts better? Can you compare and contrast the two?

I talked to the man himself today, and have decided to go with full cuts.

Two questions for anyone:
1) How symmetrical are the 57 facets on a full cut melee? I mean, those melees are tiny! Are they machine cut or hand cut?
2) Would it be much to ask for Victor to hand select the melees that best display the arrows pattern?

I believe melee comes in excellent cut. But yes, it would be borderline insane to ask Victor to examine all the melee and pick out the best ones! You are not going to see the arrows in the melee because they are so small, so don't sweat it!!! I have not heard a single VC customer complain about the quality of the melee ever. Trust your artist.

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Hey, DS.

Thanks for your response.

My gf and I decided on full cut melees, and I asked Victor a few times now what cut, and he's never answered, which kind of bothers me.

Also, I plan on passing this ring down as an heirloom (which is another reason why I wanted hand made) and I asked if Victor can provide progress pics so someday I have a story to show my daughter (you know, I'm old fashioned).

He said he doesn't do that, yet I see Frankie had posted progress pics and another member posted her progress pic of her French cut ring...

I'm a little confused about all of this, and I want to call him and ask him, but I don't want to be a pain in the you know what...

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
Roxy|1360628128|3377911 said:
Sure, you can confirm with him that he's using ideal cut (H&A) melee. I'd think that he would, but you can always confirm for your peace of mind. Is there a color grade difference between your center stone and the halo stones?

Hi, Roxy. Thanks for your response. The stone is a G and Victor uses F-G, but I don't know what cut because he doesn't tell me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am totally with you on the heirloom aspect. I am older and I buy everything with heirloom potential in mind as I have two daughters and now a baby granddaughter! I adore the earrings he made for me and count them as one of my very finest quality jewelry items.

I wouldn't worry anymore about the melee. He uses excellent quality everything.

As far as pictures go, when Victor was unknown to all of us, I think he took some pictures to prove that he was making handforged rings. Prior to that, we had one or two favored vendors who made handforged rings. Victor certainly proved himself in the quality and beauty of his designs, and he has been one of the most desirable ring makers here since. But I think he is busy now and I haven't seen pictures during the making of a ring in a long time. I honestly would not ask him that. We might care but honestly, our kids probably could care less about pictures of the ring being made!

vr4_rider

Rough_Rock
It's wonderful to have someone so wise, DS, to shine perspective into everything. It's appreciated by me and many members on here:)

I do trust Victor's work and thats mainly the reason I went with him. I guess I should just let the man do his work, huh? It's hard for someone like me because I love to learn, watch, and be involved. And being OCD has something to do with it...haha. JK!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen, you are in very good company here as we are a very OCD group in general! Victor is one of the few that I don't have to try to micromanage! That's why he is worth it to me! I never even asked the color or size of my melee. He offered me full cut or single cut and I just asked him which he thought would look best with my project! I have never been so hands-off with any jewelry project! But it is easy with him because when it comes to pave jewelry in platinum, he has almost a flawless record.

I can't wait to see your ring!!!

Tomy

Rough_Rock
Hi, sorry for bringing back an old thread but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. I've recently received an Emilya Halo from Victor but I'm not sure whether he used full or single cut. When I asked him about this I didn't get a concrete answer (he mentioned after the ring is made, he only keeps a record of total carat weight). Is there anyway to tell? I vaguely remember asking for single cut in the original custom order form but there's nothing in writing on the invoices etc. The ring itself looks amazing and I have no faults with it but I'm just curious and also intend to order a matching eternity band, so it would be nice if they were of the same cut (bit OCD).

Thanks in advance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe someone can tell from a magnified picture of your ring. I imagine Victor could.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
If you want you can look at my Emilya's. I have an emilya with full cut for my 2ct MRB and then single cut for my 5ct AC.

lizz1234

Rough_Rock
If you want you can look at my Emilya's. I have an emilya with full cut for my 2ct MRB and then single cut for my 5ct AC.

Apologies for posting on an old thread but any chance you can share pictures? Having difficulty finding them among all your posts :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies for posting on an old thread but any chance you can share pictures? Having difficulty finding them among all your posts :)
She might not respond. Her profile says last seen November 2016

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results