shape
carat
color
clarity

Update and Leon question

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I had posted previously about starting to search for a replacement engagement ring, and later about an OEC I saw at a local jeweler that was a bit overpriced.

After reading a lot more on these forums, another round of visits to jewelry stores with DH, and looking at tons of photos here, I'm between:

An ACA round stone from WHiteflash
An August Vintage Round or Cushion
or going to Leon Mege for a True antique cushion in one of his simple solitaires.

Does anyone know who cuts Leon's True Antique cushions?

I'm basically torn between the perfection and maximum performance of a super ideal ACA, or the charm and uniqueness of a vintage cut cushion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon's cushions are not as well cut as AVC's. It is likely some will face up smaller for their weight, as well. I am pretty sure he refuses to do ASET images, which should be a red flag right there (and a dealbreaker for me). But I am not totally unbiased as you can see in my profile picture (not to mention, my diamond stud earrings are ACAs!!) ;))

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, diamondseeker, I know you are not biased at all ;-)

I read some of your previous posts about your quest to find your perfect AVR, you've contributed to my desire for one!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased a True Antique cushion from Leon. I poured over his site before the purchase and don't recall seeing who cuts his stones or if he just buys them and trademarks the best cuts. I cant speak for all of them but my diamond is not branded as such on the girdle like Brian Gavin will have his trademark on his best cut stones.

Leon will give an ASET for the cushion but it's not a good pic like on the GOG site. He just puts the stone on something to hold it still and snaps a pic. Nothing special.

I didn't get a VC cushion bc it was out of my price range. GOG didn't have the mm size I wanted and I didn't want to wait to source one. LM had what I wanted in stock and in my budget.

Here she is in LM's Princesa solitaire setting, approx 1.6mm thin. His other two solitaires are 2mm thin.

_33731.jpg

_33732.jpg

_33730.jpg

_33733.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both a GOG AVC and a WF ACA. From my personal experience, the light return on the ACA is more like a disco ball whereas the AVC shows broader flashes of light. It would be hard for me to choose one over the other. I do not have any experience with LM cushions.

img_9637.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom, thank you so very much for your pointer to the comparison by MissDebby.. that was one of if not the best review I have read here, I have an AVC, and I compared the AVC to an AVR, got more bang for the buck on the AVC so I went with that as I was buying for a pendant not a ring. Reading from the perspective of a real person/who bought is always great, questions asked and answered are what I would have asked.. so again, great read and I appreciate it very much. (off topic I know, sorry)..

:)

Acinom|1440833647|3920679 said:
This thread from Missy Debby could be helpful for you. She has a cushion from Leon and AVC cushion studs from GOG. Her thread contains an extensive review as well as many comparison pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/missydebbys-review-perry-cushion-vs-gog-avc-w-pics.147506/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/missydebbys-review-perry-cushion-vs-gog-avc-w-pics.147506/[/URL]

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
m-2-b|1440847291|3920700 said:
I have both a GOG AVC and a WF ACA. From my personal experience, the light return on the ACA is more like a disco ball whereas the AVC shows broader flashes of light. It would be hard for me to choose one over the other. I do not have any experience with LM cushions.

Thank you for posting your beauties! I've seen them here often and they are two of the most perfect rings.

May I ask which one you wear most often and why?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
This thread from Missy Debby could be helpful for you. She has a cushion from Leon and AVC cushion studs from GOG. Her thread contains an extensive review as well as many comparison pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/missydebbys-review-perry-cushion-vs-gog-avc-w-pics.147506/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/missydebbys-review-perry-cushion-vs-gog-avc-w-pics.147506/[/URL]

Thank you for posting this. I've read it at least twice, it's so thorough.

To be honest I'm a little unsure to purchase the diamond from Leon. I know the charm of these antique style cushions lies in their individual personalities and imperfections. However I wonder if over time I will notice the less perfect and long for the preciseness of an ACA or an AVR with ideal light return.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
UrsTx|1440809456|3920559 said:
I recently purchased a True Antique cushion from Leon. I poured over his site before the purchase and don't recall seeing who cuts his stones or if he just buys them and trademarks the best cuts. I cant speak for all of them but my diamond is not branded as such on the girdle like Brian Gavin will have his trademark on his best cut stones.

Leon will give an ASET for the cushion but it's not a good pic like on the GOG site. He just puts the stone on something to hold it still and snaps a pic. Nothing special.

I didn't get a VC cushion bc it was out of my price range. GOG didn't have the mm size I wanted and I didn't want to wait to source one. LM had what I wanted in stock and in my budget.

Here she is in LM's Princesa solitaire setting, approx 1.6mm thin. His other two solitaires are 2mm thin.

Thank you so much for posting. Your ring is so delicate and beautiful!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1440903891|3921038 said:

Thank you for posting this. I've read it at least twice, it's so thorough.

To be honest I'm a little unsure to purchase the diamond from Leon. I know the charm of these antique style cushions lies in their individual personalities and imperfections. However I wonder if over time I will notice the less perfect and long for the preciseness of an ACA or an AVR with ideal light return.

I don't know how valid Miss Debby's post is today because GOG's AVCs have been a work in progress, Jon has been perfecting and tweaking them for years, the crown height on the stone MissDebby reviewed from GOG back then, isn't the same as the newer stones and there are more of a range of different styles of new old cushions available now too.

I dunno I think most buyers are either in one camp or the other - get a perfectly cut stone like an AVC or AVR from GOG or from Victor's antique Canera lines (which are stunning too btw) with ASET images and pay the extra or if you are going to get something that is not as perfectly cut go the whole hog save more and get a genuine Antique stone from Grace, Erica or Adam.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Hi omd21, I believe Perry Chen's cousin cuts Leon's True Antiques (Perry being Leon's previous diamond sourcer). Chris at Brilliantly Engaged mentioned that to me once.

I don't think Leon is the sole provider of those cushions. I saw one of his cushions and asked if it was part of his True Antique line and he said, "Oh, that's just a name." I later sent Chris the cert number for that cushion because I was looking for something similar and mentioned that Leon owned it and Chris said that he knew the vendor and that Leon didn't own that stone. I got the impression that the True Antiques are not specifically cut for Leon like GOG's AVCs.

If you like Leon's cushions, you might also check out Brilliantly Engaged. I don't know who cuts their cushions but Chris was able to call in some stones that, if memory serves, happened to be cut by Perry's cousin. And BE can provide ASET images and Chris is awesome to work with.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure Leon's and BE's antique style cushions are from the same source. I have been told that before.

As I have looked at cushions, I will pass along one important factor as you narrow down stones you like. Some are deeper than others and some face up larger (in diameter) than others. I have found AVC's to have better diameters than many. And since cushions are often deeper and smaller face-up, it is super important to look at the diameter when comparing stones more so that weight.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1440990485|3921438 said:
Pretty sure Leon's and BE's antique style cushions are from the same source. I have been told that before.

As I have looked at cushions, I will pass along one important factor as you narrow down stones you like. Some are deeper than others and some face up larger (in diameter) than others. I have found AVC's to have better diameters than many. And since cushions are often deeper and smaller face-up, it is super important to look at the diameter when comparing stones more so that weight.

Thank you for the heads up diamond seeker!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results