• Yes - Redo the halo with smaller stones

Votes: 62 93.9%
  • No - It is a good engagement ring

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have been reading so much about double halo's on PS for months now and finally purchased one for my fiance to be.

After reveiving the ring I feel like it is not what I or she wanted. I went with a 1ct center stone and 1 pointer in the melee, but I think it is too bulky and now looks like a cocktail ring.

Can I get some advice on this ring, should I have it re-done?
I think the melee should be half point stones to give it a more delicate look and I was thinking the first halo beside the diamond should be raised a bit so it is not flat and inline with the outer halo.

What do you PSers think?

20140818_135008.jpg

20140724_085039.jpg

20140818_143501.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A double halo is too much on a one carat stone. Stick with one halo. The size of those stones will work if you get rid of the outer halo. Double halos usually look like cocktail or right hand rings to me.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love halos but for me the halo is an accent and should not overpower the center stone. I would personally limit it to a single halo with the size of your stone.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
hi, I am currently having a one carat cushion made into a double halo (tiffany soleste style) through ERD. Mine will be a right hand ring. For an engagement ring I'd probably opt for more of the Tiffany legacy style or a single halo. But I do think that yours could have been executed better. I will post a few of my CAD's for mine just to give you an idea. You mentioned having one of the halos raised and you can see that in one of my CAD's.

_18987.jpg

_18996.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who did the double halo?

I keep telling people 1 point melee is too big for a double halo for a 1mm cushion/asscher.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted for redo but want to encourage you to make your own decision. Are you 100% sure on the center stone? I don't care for halos, with rare exceptions. It doesn't look like a cocktail ring to me but it could also be the proportions in the case of your ring to the center. Subjective opinion of course.

Reset all the way - maybe a RHR with something like this http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...nse-yellow-i1-cushion-cut-gia-great-cut-r5705

You said you lurked a long time - why didn't you consult the PS community originally? Maybe consider it this time around? Can you post more photos of the ring alone including profile and other angles?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Go back and read a very long post by CharmyPoo on halo's, it the Bible around here.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Way too bulky! The centre stone gets lost in it. I think a single halo would be much prettier.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, I think it's too much and it swallows the "main attraction". Would definitely re-do it and remove one of the halos

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the others, the halos appear to be overwhelming the center. In addition, the center stone appears warm (more yellow) in comparison to the halo, and may possibly have a dark appearing center. Shallowly cut diamonds and some simulants sometiimes have a "fisheye" effect. I could be totally wrong though, tough to tell in photos. Maybe one of the experts could weigh in.
Is it a certed stone? If so, would be interested to know the stats and agency.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that size center stone, I would probably wanna stick to single halo styles... that said, I have seen double halos that look great on that size -- when done right -- with smaller melee. 1 pointers are too large for that size and tends to overpower or give a "cocktail" or RHR look.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the quick replies wow the responses have been great. I wish I had known about this site before getting a ring so I could have recieved this feedback earlier.

Obviously my thoughts are backed by 100% of you and the halo is too big. Here are few other pictures.

For those who asked the center stone is a 1 carat G colour, excellent cut and polish and VS1. It looked like a nice stone when I picked it out and I do still think the stone is nice, its just the design that doesn't work for me. I used a local jeweler in Toronto where I live.

I of course saw the Soleste ring at Tiffanys and tried to replicate it, but it didn't work out too well. I wish I had just paid the extra money upfront and bought the ring in the store that I saw, but now like some others have posted on here I am trying to salvage something before giving it to my partner.

So should I go with a single halo on this or should I get a larger stone and do a double halo with half pointers in each of the halos? Maybe the jewler will let me trade this stone for a larger one.

20140818_135051.jpg

20140818_135031.jpg

20140818_093258.jpg

20140818_093249.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A one carat stone is certainly a respectable size but if you think the jeweler would be more amenable to redoing the ring if you also upgrade, then you might want to consider it. I'm not a double halo fan with any size stone but that's strictly my opinion only. You could get a larger solitaire stone and setting or redo this halo into a single stone size.

What does your future intended like in an ering? Did she specifically want a halo?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did she pick a double halo? Or did you? What did SHE ask for?

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Well she definitely wants the halo, but she really couldn't choose between the double or single and left it up to me to make the right decision and surprise her with something that looks good.

Gypsy I definitely agree with you about the 1 pointers in the halo. I have seen your posts on other PS'ers forums and wish I had known that before hand. Originally I had asked for half pointers in the double halo, but the jeweler said the 1 point stones would look better/sparkle/not look "prongy".

I was in Tiffanys on the weekend looking at the ring she originally picked and it looks like they use small maybe even quarter pointers in the first halo and half pointers in the outer halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. Here's the thing most jewelers don't want to admit. They CAN'T do pave with 1/2 pointers. The VAST majority of jewelers just do not have the skill. So they badmouth 1/2 pointers and talk up 1 pointers. Because that's what they know how to work with, and they want to make the sale. Same thing happened to me with my first halo. I got one pointers because I was told pretty much the same thing you were. Well, the pave quality actually sucked. My ring started to lose diamonds like salt from a salt shaker. And that's when I decided to have it redone. This time I was an experienced pricescoper and understood the differences in pave quality. So I went to a pave expert.

Funny thing happened. He asked me if I liked the proportions of my original halo. I said no. I said I wanted thinner. And he said, NO PROBLEM and he totally agreed that my halo was too big. AND that was that. I now have 1/2 pointers and it is delicate and perfect.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the stones in the halo are just too large and overpower the center stone. I voted for a redo. I don't think that you really need a larger center stone but you need to find a jeweler who understands proportion so that the center diamond is the star.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Yes I totally agree with you and think that is why they sold me on doing 1 pointers. I have seen some unfortunately really bad settings on the internet where you can clearly see the metal inbetween stones. When I look at Tiffany's which I compare alot to because it is high quality I know when a nice pave shoud look like. Invisible setting that floats across the ring would be great.

If I were to change this existing ring to a single halo would you recommend using half pointers in the the single halo as well and doing a split shank with 1 pointers?

I think it would be cheaper re-doing this hardware with the existing stone. If it still doesn't come to my standards I will probably bite the bullet and pay for the big box name and quality.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for a redo. I think the double halo and size of the melee take away from your center stone. I think a single halo and smaller melee would make your center diamond stand out more.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if the picture was just playing tricks on me, but the stone also looks like it is set really high, like skyscraper high. He you have it redone, you may also want to ask to have him lower the setting. If its too high it will be uncomfortable for your beloved to wear.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
((I'm not sure if the picture was just playing tricks on me, but the stone also looks like it is set really high, like skyscraper high. He you have it redone, you may also want to ask to have him lower the setting. If its too high it will be uncomfortable for your beloved to wear. ))

LOL -- yes it does seem high I know. Not sure if that is because the first halo is not raised enough or if it has to do with the setting. So I think I am going to email the jeweler and see about getting this re-done with a single halo using half pointers in the halo. I need to make sure he is comfortable and can do a good job with half pointers to make it look good otherwise I will find another jeweler in Toronto.

What about for the band and shank should I keep the 1 pointers in that or change it all out to match the halo? I have read mixed reviewes about different size stones in the halo and band/shank.

Again really wish I had posted on here sooner.. so refreshing getting this feedback.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my thought. I would get a refund. Period.

You go back and say, "I followed you advice regarding the 1 pointers and this is what happened. I am not satified. And I want a refund). Pop your stone out. And then send it to a Pricescope vendor like Steven Kirsch (who is the person that re-did my halo). Apply the funds from the refund toward a nice new mounting properly proportioned to your center stone (A one carat G VS), and add a couple thousand dollars (expect the setting to be 5500), and you will get the quality you want.

I don't see the point in making a jeweler who doesn't feel comfortable using 1/2 pointers, and probably won't do a good job on it, do soemthing a second time. They had the chance to get it right. It's time to move on. And yes, I would tell Steven you want 1/2 pointers in the first halo, and slightly larger melee in the second halo, but not one pointers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Please excuse the blunt and frank advise but your ring is not well made, proportions, pave or structure. Get a refund and walk away if possible. If you want to use a local jeweler that is fine but look at their halos and ask to see examples of their work before committing. Diamonds should have a GIA or AGS lab report. If you haven't already read Charmy's guide to making a HW inspired halo. That should help you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the stone a GIA graded stone? If it's not GIA graded or AGS graded. Return that too.

We'll start you over.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I cannot get a refund. I can either pawn the ring off and take a loss and pay the money to try and get this fixed and brought up to my future's standards.

Rather than go through this whole process again I am really considering just taking a small loss on this and either selling it at a pawn shop or keeping it and reusing the diamond for a necklace or something else. I can just goto Tiffany directly and buy the ring she picked out. I guess there is price to pay for quality and customer service. if I had read online from PS sooner I would have given the online purchase of a setting and ring a try from a PS vendor. Now a I am nervous to try anything else other then just getting the Tiffany ring she picked in the beginning.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Considering you may be taking a loss on this ring, I would HIGHLY suggest working with some of the vendors suggested in this forum, before heading over to Tiffany's and paying a premium. Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, Leon Mege, Mark at ERD, Maytal Hannah and CVB inspired Designs are all wonderful. Victor Canera seems to have quite a following for this design, and will likely be the most expensive, but his work is exquisite, but you may be able to get a larger stone working with ERD and using their CAD design, which is still beautiful, btw. I am not sure what your budget is, but please let some of the experts on this forum help you the second time around... Everyone here has such a passion for this, they will not steer you wrong!

BTW- does your jeweler not have a return policy?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing this out there real quick - you could keep the diamond and try to sell the setting on loupetroop and diamond bistro - I disagree with a few others a little, I think it is a pretty setting and someone might like it for a colored stone - just a thought. I agree with truluv, at least check out some of the vendors and settings here on PS before you purchase at Tiffany's.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Talk to the jeweler again, first I would explain you are unhappy and ask them to fix it. If they tell you you have 'no choice' but to take the ring, explain that you are willing to post public feedback on yelp and pricescope unless they issue a full refund. I would recommend taking more photos and being explicit especially on Yelp with the review title "Forced to pay for ugly custom ring".

They set expectations that they could create a tiffany-style ring and failed. I don't think you should take the hit for their poor craftsmanship. You may want to contact your credit card company, the BBB or any other helpful avenues. If you don't hold the jeweler to account they're going to keep doing this to unsuspecting consumers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adding to the fabulous advice above. Make sure to mention YOU wanted 1/2 melee. THEY specified one point melee and asked you to trust them. You relied on their expertise and the result is NOT what you wanted. That's THEIR problem to address. It's not yours to suck up.

Be FIRM.

If you did pay with a credit card, you will additional options. So find out what those are. And use those as a hammer to get what you want as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results