shape
carat
color
clarity

Unsure about J

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
I am considering a J VS2 Infinity and have been wondering about the J. I am personally not a fan of super white D E F, I prefer the G-Hs. J is little beyond the comfort zone for me but the cut - Infinity and the clarity is quite good. Frankly I cannot tell the difference between H and I but I could see the difference between an E and an I. Is J a good choice and would I be able to tell the slight color in the stone when mounted in a ring.
I prefer fire/dispersion to just white sparkle how does this diamond score in that department. Ellen and Lorelei and other experts please help.

Table:56.5
Depth:61.2
Crown Angle:34.5 deg
Pavilion Angle:40.9 deg

My budget for the stone is a tight $4000

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Mayo and welcome. I have a J VS2 Infinity. My stone is one of the smaller sizes Paul has cut, .53, and you can see pictures of it here.

I think you are a good candidate for a J since you do not prefer the D-F colors. Most likely you won't be able to see a whole lot of difference between an H and a J. It definitely helps that Infinity diamonds are very well cut, so your J will not look dirty or dull. In some lights, the stone can take on an antique white color rather than the more icy look of the D-F's, but I like that because I believe it gives the stone more character. The stone is always white face up in the setting; it's only when I tilt it in certain lights that I notice any "color" and again it's not like it goes from white to yellow, it's just a warmer glow rather than an ice white look.

Infinity diamonds are gorgeous stones, and I find that my stone shows a good balance of sparkle and fire across a variety of lighting conditions, as all super-ideal cuts are designed to do. My Infinity even looks good under office lighting!

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
I was hoping you responded, I loved your hand shots with the matchboxes and the shot with the turquoise flashes wowza!!! I hope my stone sparkles that much too.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Glad to help! Thanks for the compliments on my photos. And yes, without a doubt, your Infinity will sparkle and shoot fire like that!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 2:23:36 PM
Author: mayo1209
Bumpity bump. Please weigh in on the cut grade
Hi Mayo

Sorry just saw this, the diamond looks great! Is it an Infinity? Also a J colour will look great, might show a tiny bit of warmth from the side but will still face up white, could be a super choice! Out of interest, do you have the diameter and girdle thickness please?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:48:53 PM
Author:mayo1209
I am considering a J VS2 Infinity and have been wondering about the J. I am personally not a fan of super white D E F, I prefer the G-Hs. J is little beyond the comfort zone for me but the cut - Infinity and the clarity is quite good. Frankly I cannot tell the difference between H and I but I could see the difference between an E and an I. Is J a good choice and would I be able to tell the slight color in the stone when mounted in a ring.
I prefer fire/dispersion to just white sparkle how does this diamond score in that department. Ellen and Lorelei and other experts please help.

I just saw this too!

I would imagine almost everyone could see the difference between these two. However, if someone had just handed you an I, would you know what it was? Would it bother you? Because that's how we truly have to look at a diamond, that's how we view it in a ring. All by itself.
28.gif

From everything you've said, I think you could do a very well cut J!

So far the diamond looks great, and being an Infinity cut, I imagine the rest will be just fine too.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:48:53 PM
Author:mayo1209

Mayo...perhaps these images will help you...here is a K, J and G

DianaBanana BGD selectionkjg.jpg

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. Somebody else got to the diamond before I did but Wink put me on a priority list for 2 diamonds being cut right now that meet my criteria. I hope he gets them soon!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 8:19:49 PM
Thanks for the responses. Somebody else got to the diamond before I did but Wink put me on a priority list for 2 diamonds being cut right now that meet my criteria. I hope he gets them soon!!!
Oh blast....Never mind though, it wasn''t the one!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/19/2009 8:19:49 PM
Yes, I needed four of that stone. Two for Indira in London who sold the one you were wanting the morning of the day you contacted me, and who also had a back up buyer for it that same afternoon. She is eight hours ahead of me whicn means she was ahead of us even though you called me on the same day that she asked for the diamond.

Just after you called I had another contact me about the diamond too. I guess it was a magic combination of cut, size, color, clarity and cost because four different people wanted it in the same day.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results