shape
carat
color
clarity

unpopular jewelry opinions

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this might be fun, now that PS getting busy (thanks to that lovely giveaway!)

Do you have any jewelry opinions that are generally unpopular on PS? Id like to keep it positive and list things you like,rather than things you dont

Examples:
I love heart shaped diamonds!
I prefer diamonds under 1ct
I dont care if a diamond is ideally cut

lets hear them!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1417808172|3795897 said:
I thought this might be fun, now that PS getting busy (thanks to that lovely giveaway!)

Do you have any jewelry opinions that are generally unpopular on PS? Id like to keep it positive and list things you like,rather than things you dont

Examples:

lets hear them!
Your banned from PS :!: ... :lol:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1417808558|3795901 said:

Examples:

lets hear them!

Funny. I was thinking your unpopular opinions are incredibly positive...mine sound all judgy and negative.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1417808558|3795901 said:

Examples:

lets hear them!

Haha they are examples! Not my opinions lol.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I like heart shaped diamonds as well and have a half carat heart shaped solitaire. I also like marquise cut diamonds. I know you like those as well Neil. i can't think of anything else that might be unpopular.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love branded jewellery--Tiffany, etc--therefore I encourage, rather than dissuade posters from buying the same.

I prefer D colored IF stones, over size.

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rena7|1417809199|3795910 said:
I like heart shaped diamonds as well and have a half carat heart shaped solitaire. I also like marquise cut diamonds. I know you like those as well Neil. i can't think of anything else that might be unpopular.
I like hearts too. I think they face up huge and have a lovely sparkle. I wish they didn't have such a romantic association, but they can be great diamonds!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
oh yeah..lol..

My favorite settings are very modern..think Henrich and Denzel, Steven Kretchmer, Niessing.
I'm a fan of colorless diamonds and would sacrifice size for color.
I love Tiffany's (and a few Cartier pieces). The Blue box, the stores.. just love 'em.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I thought of one. I prefer yellow gold for men's rings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread!

canuk-gal|1417809229|3795912 said:
HI:
I love branded jewellery--Tiffany, etc--therefore I encourage, rather than dissuade posters from buying the same.
cheers--Sharon
I've boarded the train, Sharon!

I detest the cheat sheet that occasionally comes up for air - IMO it shouldn't be used as anything other than instructions for your insurance adjuster. It was intended as a simplistic guide and was originally issued with a number of disclaimers... but both the specifications for use and cautionary advisories get lost in translation.

I love nice "crushed ice" cushions and radiants, and I thank David at DBL for introducing me to them. I've only seen a few that I'd consider "nice" in-person, though - they're rare, furtive creatures! Looking at one is like looking into a twinkling tub of glitter - no pattern, no slow chunky "on/off" scintillation, just non-stop edge-to-edge sparkle :love:

I think a buyer should always see the stone in-person before committing to it and having it set, whether it's a fancy coloured radiant or an ACA RB - whatever reports, scans, numbers, photos, videos, etc. it might come with.

I don't like visible-to-my-eyes painting in RBs IRL ::)

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I realize how negative I must be, I can only think of things I don't like.Ugh.....I will keep thinking

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love fancy brown diamonds. Based on a recent Pricescope thread trashing them and literally calling them 'sh*t on fingers', I guess my love for them will have to remain mostly hidden. At least on here! :wavey:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Canuk-gal and Elle-chris on this one..
I do LOVE Tiffany and Cartier signed pieces! :love:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
One of the prettiest diamonds I've seen was a peachish champagne light brown pear at the Smithsonian in D.C. I liked it more than the Hope diamond, which looked extremely grey to me. I hope more people continue to bash brown diamonds so I can buy one for cheap!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several ways in which I differ from mainline PSers.

I prefer tension settings.

I like low-cost non-precious metals that allow a larger diamond budget.
I don't go along with the oft-expressed opinion that a fine diamond deserves a so-called 'better' metal.
IMO the 'best' metal is the one that holds the diamond better.
I try to be practical and reasonable, not given to romance, emotion or prestige.

I have no problem paying the premium for a branded diamond.
By brand I don't mean prestige-brands like Cartier or Tiffany, rather a brand where top light performance is central to the brand.

If precious metal is used I like solitaires for two reasons:
1. A solitaire setting takes less attention away from the diamond.
2. Solitaire's lower cost means you can buy a better diamond.
Personally, I'm into diamonds not rings.

I like jewelry pics here where the camera's white balance setting was matched to the type of light used.
Yeah, this is not really a jewelry opinion.
You never see ads or professional pics where they didn't bother with white balance.
White balance matters, and is easy to do.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think bigger is always better when it comes to diamonds. I think there is such a thing as a "gaudy" diamond ring, particularly for engagement rings or wedding bands, :oops: though of course I'd never say so with respect to any specific ring.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1417814183|3796005 said:
I don't think bigger is always better when it comes to diamonds. I think there is such a thing as a "gaudy" diamond ring, particularly for engagement rings or wedding bands, :oops: though of course I'd never say so with respect to any specific ring.

+1 ... but I'd use the term not my cup of tea, rather than gaudy.
'My cup of Tea' reinforces that this is all personal opinion and preference than absolute universal descriptions.
I'm certain many people would consider my diamond as gaudy.
No problem; that doesn't mean it IS gaudy.
Nothing IS gaudy, I mean ... universally, since gaudy is in the eye of the beholder.

For what I paid for my 1.51 G VS2 Octavia I could have bought much heavier diamond that would look much more impressive to size queens.
I think the peak of the PS diamond demand bell curve would be the largest, non-branded, well-cut, I/J, eye-clean SI2 found after a long search.

So I guess my color and clarity sweet spot would qualify as an unpopular jewelry opinion.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRYSTAL24K|1417808322|3795899 said:
I love thicker shanks (2.4mm and over).

Me too! The wider the better IMO.

My unpopular opinions: I absolutely lurve Blue Nile and think they are great quality and value. I love J and K colored diamonds, and I prefer to buy Si1 to Si2 clarity to get the most bang for my buck.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I like hearts too, but I feel as a non teenager they may be destined for side stones only...eventually

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1417814011|3796004 said:
Personally, I'm into diamonds not rings.

Which leads me to another possibly "unpopular" opinion - I'm into rings, not diamonds, and will happily spend as much or more on the setting as I will on the stone(s) it houses ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, Yssie. I'd rather have a small diamond in a spectacular ring than a larger diamond in a solitaire.

I thought of some more: I like peg head settings, and I like cluster halos/rings.

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree about size. Although beautiful some are just too big for me and my lifestyle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the things I like are quite popular here, but there are a couple of preferences I have that are not popular here.

1) I prefer VS clarity and higher, but VS1 is my favorite for a ring stone for balancing price and cleanness.

2) Bigger is not better for me, personally. I probably should have stayed with about 1.5 cts and then I could have more diamonds! lol! the facets of the AVR just lured me into a larger stone!

3) I try to always buy the best quality jewelry possible rather than having a huge collection. My intent is to collect heirlooms.

4) I also collect platinum and white gold jewelry from Tiffany and a few other designers (and have a Cartier watch so far from Cartier). Some of my Tiffany things are new and some second hand. I enjoy hunting for them. I love bargains!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
How do I say this in the positive...

I love jewelry. To buy, design, own, etc. But I prefer the feel on my body of being jewelry-free. In other words I don't like the feel of the stuff on my skin!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I prefer function over form, and tend to choose choose sturdy life-proof settings with little to no melee over artistic fragile, melee encrusted designs.

I like smaller stones.

I would sacrifice size for higher clarity and color (VS2 and above please!)

I love buying used pieces both for their uniqueness and the value they offer. This is especially true of signed pieces.

I like all diamond shapes :)

I like irradiated blue diamonds :bigsmile:

I like the clarity and color offered by synthetic gemstones, even if they aren't worth much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results