shape
carat
color
clarity

Understanding MSU''s web scintillation simulator??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Friends,

I was wondering if someone familar with MSU''s free web-based scintillation simulator (located at http://www.cutstudy.com/cut/english/comp/scint1.htm) could explain how to understand the results?

From what Gary has said, the simulator shows how light would be reflected if a single beam of light was shown down on the table from directly above (perpendicular).

A couple of key questions:

1--A diamond with excellent scintillation should show...
a) MORE colorful points on the simulator?
b) LARGER colorful points?
C) BOTH (more points & larger points)?

2--Is there any correlation between this simulator and results on a BrillanceScope or Isee2?? i.e. a diamond fetching VH in scintillation on the B-scope will look like ______________ on the MSU scintillation simulator?

3--What is the purpose of the simulator? To compare two diamonds for superior scintillation in real life? Does anyone use this sim for puchasing decisions? how/why?

4--For an example... can anyone offer commentary on the sim results below?

Thanks! -jesrush
scintillationZ.jpg

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Gary,

I've actually given that a shot.. it's interesting. But how do I compare the results of one stone with another? (more lightpoints? bigger lightpoints?)

-J

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The important concept to catch here is the word "simulator" as in estimated, but not real... The concept is cool, but your decision to purchase one diamond over another should be based upon actual results provided by running this type of scan on an actual stone. That said, the simulations can be used to narrow down the possibilities of interest down to a select few because the concept behind the simulation is valid - we've been using it for years as part of our evaluation process. Essentially the single beam of light entering the diamond through the table facet aimed directly at the culet results in a spattering of tiny beams of light which we call "reflective points" or "hotspots" and a camera and computer counts the number of reflective points. The average results from our years of scanning is that a diamond with AGS-3 Good proportions displays an average of 70 reflective points while the average ideal cut diamond displays around 115 reflective points, but tigher combinations of proportions such as those we deem "super ideal" display significantly higher numbers of reflective points such as 150 - 180 while the average princess cut might only display 40 or so, but those with a steeper crown height can rival a well cut round. One thing that we've noticed is that while it is relatively easy for us to separate diamonds with lower reflective points from those with higher reflective points, such as one displaying like 115 and one displaying like 145 or so, it isn't so easy to make that determination once both diamonds are displaying in excess of 130 so there might be a point where the difference is not so apparent to the human eye. As we indicated, we've been using this process using a real laser, camera and computer for the past few years... We've just added a Gem Ex Brilliance Scope to our arsenal of toys here in the store, so we're going to be running comparisons between the two concepts in the future. However, we won't be posting those results until we have collected enough data for us to be comfortable with publishing those results so don't look for it anytime soon.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Robin & Todd,

I've got a gemprint system that I hardly ever use becuse it's just not that helpful a service for most customers needs. The scanning device does exactly what is being discussed in this thread and it actually does it pretty well. Are you saying that it's useful in cut grading? I would love somre more information about that.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
R & T do you understand the concept that I raised in the other thread? That you can use this approach to establish which diamond proportions will get the highest Brilliancescope scores by calculation (or in your case, by trial and error)?
This way you can preselect diamonds to market with the Brilliancescope and others to market without it
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/2/2004 3:37:54 PM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

R & T do you understand the concept that I raised in the other thread?
1.gif
----------------

Garry,

What other thread? I looked for "scintillation simulator" and found nothing. Can you give me a link please?

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Aha Todd -- so this is the infamous proprietary 'reflective point' system we've heard so much about
1.gif
Good stuff. I believe you said my stone fetched 165 reflective points which sounds like a respectable showing.

So if Gemprint already does this... I wonder if you could pick the better stone by comparing two gemprints? I guess you would need a way to count the reflective points...

Neil, I believe Gary is referring to this thread [page2]

-jesrush

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results