shape
carat
color
clarity

uncertified preset diamond studs - good idea/bad idea?

TrousseauHorse

Rough_Rock
So I got an email from James Allen for 20% off preset diamond stud earrings right about the same time I was offered an awesome new job. Fate, right? I figure it's the work of the same unseen forces that cause your car to break down as soon as you have a little money in the bank =)

I'm looking at 4-prong round studs in platinum (bad, bad metal allergies). They said they can change to a screw post for $50, but I think I might not because I have seen people say they can irritate your ears, and for me, anything that can irritate my skin will.

The studs are H-I color, SI clarity, and not certified. With the discount, it would be $720 for .5 ctw (listed as VS), $1260 for .75 ctw, or $2420 for 1 ctw.
http://www.jamesallen.com/earrings/preset-diamond-studs/platinum-1ctw-ladies-four-prong-round-brilliant-diamond-earrings-item-9658

I was originally looking at the .5, but then I was thinking since they are not eligible for an upgrade maybe I should just get the 1 ctw?

I went through the engagement ring buying process last April and was pretty happy with the results, but not very happy with the endless research and second guessing myself. In the end, I'm glad I was more educated about the process, but I was not thrilled with how much effort I had to put into getting what turned out to be just an ok deal. (I ended up with a 1.21 H VVS2 emerald cut and it's bigger than I thought we could get, but it looks so yellow to me.) I don't really want to go through that stress again for a pair of earrings, especially since I think for the money I can spend I will end up disappointed in the size. Since I won't be staring at the earrings all day, I just need them to appear big and sparkly when I see them in the mirror and when other people look at them.

Could you guys please comment on whether any of these sizes/prices constitute decent value for money for my purposes? And if you don't think so, could you please explain why? The why is the part that helps the most!! =) Thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results