shape
carat
color
clarity

Un-plated 14k white gold?

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Hi, again! I will be getting my 14k white gold diamond wedding bands re-shanked soon to match each other better (1 was a stock setting that was re-sized, the other was custom, so they both look a little different from each other). They both are plated. My engagement ring has engraving and is made of 18k white gold. Even though though the difference is only noticeable when viewing all 3 rings from the bottom, the wedding bands definitely look different compared to the engagement ring. I'm wondering - should I get the wedding bands re-shanked in un-plated 14k white gold verses 14k plated white gold so that all of the metals blend better together? Or am I wrong in my thinking and should just have them plated again?

I've read some threads about this, but I have seen a lot regarding 18k white gold instead of 14k.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide me!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Plated as in rodium plated over gold of 14K gold....plated is not gold dipped in white gold to cover yellow gold. I am sorry I don't really understand. I do know there is a difference in color between 14K white gold and 18K white gold and platinum due to the percentage of gold/vs other metals.

But plated I am not sure

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
heididdl|1378159768|3513686 said:
Plated as in rodium plated over gold of 14K gold....plated is not gold dipped in white gold to cover yellow gold. I am sorry I don't really understand. I do know there is a difference in color between 14K white gold and 18K white gold and platinum due to the percentage of gold/vs other metals.

But plated I am not sure

Sorry, I meant rhodium-plated! Thanks for asking for clarification. :) I'm basically asking if un-plated 14k white gold will look better or not than 14k white gold that is rhodium-plated, when paired with my 18k white gold engraved engagement ring. I hope that makes more sense!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I guess its all how you feel about it. I have stackables that I wear on and off

One is platinum eternity, one RG with diamonds one white gold with diamonds and one platinum diamond cut. I wear them all together sometimes I add yellow gold bands on either side.

My wedding ring is platinum and I sometimes pair it with with RG tiny band.

So I guess you have to see what you like?

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
heididdl said:
I guess its all how you feel about it. I have stackables that I wear on and off

One is platinum eternity, one RG with diamonds one white gold with diamonds and one platinum diamond cut. I wear them all together sometimes I add yellow gold bands on either side.

My wedding ring is platinum and I sometimes pair it with with RG tiny band.

So I guess you have to see what you like?

Thanks for your advice! I do need to see it for myself to be certain.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that I'm tired of the chrome look of the rhodium-plating, which is part of why I'm looking for a change. I also want the metal to blend together better with my e-ring. However, I DON'T want the rings to yellow easier. But that's also part of what I don't know - how does the un-plated gold typically wear over time?

Does anyone have any rings that are made in 14k un-plated white gold that they would kindly post?

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have any other thoughts/opinions/insight into the un-plated 14k white gold and how it will wear?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meganmomma|1378223770|3514021 said:
Anyone have any other thoughts/opinions/insight into the un-plated 14k white gold and how it will wear?

I don't really understand what you're asking here... it will wear just like plated 14k WG of the same method of manufacture (cast vs. die-struck, handforged, etc.) in terms of scratching/denting/chipping/etc... the only difference is that there will be no colour change through the wear since there was no plating to begin with.

The plating is very, very thin (microns) and doesn't affect wear and tear in any way - it doesn't create a harder or more scratch-resistant exterior coating that protects the gold underneath from wear and tear, if that's what you mean.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1378232147|3514078 said:

I don't really understand what you're asking here... it will wear just like plated 14k WG of the same method of manufacture (cast vs. die-struck, handforged, etc.) in terms of scratching/denting/chipping/etc... the only difference is that there will be no colour change through the wear since there was no plating to begin with.

The plating is very, very thin (microns) and doesn't affect wear and tear in any way - it doesn't create a harder or more scratch-resistant exterior coating that protects the gold underneath from wear and tear, if that's what you mean.

Hi, Yssie - thanks for your response! When I say "wear", I mean will it turn yellow easier compared to the rhodium plating? Will the color of the un-plated gold potentially look better against the 18k white gold engraving on my engagement ring? That's more what I mean. When I think of rhodium plating, I think of a chrome-like appearance. I'm hoping for a more creamy, more antique-looking finish to match better with my e-ring. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry for not being clear! :oops:

I would really appreciate your thoughts on those questions.

Thanks again,

Megan

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meganmomma|1378236095|3514109 said:

Hi, Yssie - thanks for your response! When I say "wear", I mean will it turn yellow easier compared to the rhodium plating? Will the color of the un-plated gold potentially look better against the 18k white gold engraving on my engagement ring? That's more what I mean. When I think of rhodium plating, I think of a chrome-like appearance. I'm hoping for a more creamy, more antique-looking finish to match better with my e-ring. Does that make sense?

Thanks again,

Megan

White gold (the alloys that are usually rhodium plated) isn't bright white, it's a more mellow, creamy colour. It doesn't become yellower with wear - it is yellower, and the colour change you see when you've worn a plated piece for a while is the rhodium wearing away to reveal the yellower colour of the gold underneath.

I happen to love the various pale yellow shades of unplated white gold so I don't have any of my white gold plated. "White gold" isn't a one-size-fits-all thing though, different alloys of even the same karat (14k vs. 18k) can be vastly different colours depending on the exact alloy. I just posted this pic in another thread - B-F are all 18k WG of different alloys (all unplated). On the far L is plat, far R. is 14k YG. The point of that pic - we can't say that unplated 14k will be a better match with the colour of your Ering because we don't know what alloys you're talking about, but if a good colour match is very important to you your jeweller should be able to help you choose a metal ::)

metals_yssie_1.png
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-color-and-metal-options.191295/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-color-and-metal-options.191295/[/URL]

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1378244172|3514167 said:
meganmomma|1378236095|3514109 said:

Thanks again,

Megan

White gold (the alloys that are usually rhodium plated) isn't bright white, it's a more mellow, creamy colour. It doesn't become yellower with wear - it is yellower, and the colour change you see when you've worn a plated piece for a while is the rhodium wearing away to reveal the yellower colour of the gold underneath.

I happen to love the various pale yellow shades of unplated white gold so I don't have any of my white gold plated. "White gold" isn't a one-size-fits-all thing though, different alloys of even the same karat (14k vs. 18k) can be vastly different colours depending on the exact alloy. I just posted this pic in another thread - B-F are all 18k WG of different alloys (all unplated). On the far L is plat, far R. is 14k YG. The point of that pic - we can't say that unplated 14k will be a better match with the colour of your Ering because we don't know what alloys you're talking about, but if a good colour match is very important to you your jeweller should be able to help you choose a metal ::)

metals_yssie_1.png
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-color-and-metal-options.191295/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-color-and-metal-options.191295/[/URL]

Thank you so much for this insight!! :appl: I understand so much better now. I will definitely talk with my jeweler to see what alloys are used as well as the typical coloration of the unplated WG.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results