shape
carat
color
clarity

U.S..... the least expensive place on earth to buy diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i mean,if you read post from other countries around the world,the price in the U.S. sounds cheap.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The U.S. is a mega consumer of diamonds, with one of the most efficient, and safest marketplaces in the world.

It's pretty tough to beat the U.S. diamond market, especially in major metropolitan areas and the internet.

justpar

Rough_Rock
I''ve heard that the jewelry market (both diamonds, and precious gemstones) in Thailand are quite huge, and their prices are pretty resonable. Some friends said that due to strong dollar currency, one can get a certified diamond cheaper over there. I am not sure if it''s true. But I know for sure that their labor intensive is pretty cheap. So it''s good for people who like to create custom settings. But for the diamond, I am not sure about the quality they have offered over there.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
economies of scale?

boo

Rough_Rock
The lady at Tiffany''s told me that their prices in the US are almost half of that in London Bond Street. Could be the exchange rate.
26.gif

joycer

Rough_Rock
Prices in Vancouver, Canada are typically at least twice what the pricescope price is for the same diamond. So the US definitely has Canada beat... and we even mine them! An article in the paper even went as far as saying that the EGL opened up labs in Vancouver and Toronto because that''s where most of the finished diamonds in Canada were being sent for export. Don''t believe the hype though, I can get a Canadian diamond cheaper in the US than I can in Canada.

-joycer

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2005 8:33:17 AM
Author: boo
The lady at Tiffany''s told me that their prices in the US are almost half of that in London Bond Street. Could be the exchange rate.
26.gif
tax is a huge part of that there is somewhere around a 25% tax on diamonds if im remembering right.

boo

Rough_Rock
Yup! 17.5% but probably still works out cheaper. However, the diamond wholesalers in Hatton Gardens are supposed to do a pretty good deal too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anybody from Hong Kong? how''s your price compare to the U.S.?

perl8429

Rough_Rock
My friend purchased a 1.75 ct. diamond from Infinity diamonds, and prior to purchasing this, he checked with his family jeweller in Hong Kong. He said that the difference was $100 more in Hong Kong.... so.....it''s about the same as the US.
As for Canada...it has a 35% tax total. there is a regular 15% tax, and then 20% excise tax or something like that! BITES!!!!
29.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That does bite!!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2005 9:58:29 AM
Author:As for Canada...it has a 35% tax total. there is a regular 15% tax, and then 20% excise tax or something like that! BITES!!!!
29.gif
HI:

May I clarify: Excise or Luxury Tax is 10%, GST (Good and Services Tax) is 7% and some Canadian Provinces have additional PST''s (Provincial Sales Taxes up to 3%). So when I cross border shop--in the Province I live there are no additional PST''s--so I pay the standard 17% taxes (10 + 7) on top of the exchange rate. It gets costly, and it certainly BITES, but most often it comes out to a better buy than locally.

cheers--Sharon

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all, well I just got back from Ireland and especially in Dublin, they have a jewelry store every couple of yards it seems. At first glance, the lighted display cases visible from the street look impressive. However I looked closer and noticed that the diamonds are 1. really small for the price they are asking and 2. not very good quality for the prices. I saw several stones that were well under a half carat ( maybe .25 and .30) with poor coloring and light return being asked for about 2000-3000 Euro!!!
6.gif
In terms of US dollars, this converts to about $2500-3700 for the stone. Completely overpriced. It was funny because my stone, a .75 princess got jaw droppings and rave reviews from several women over there. They were grabbing my hand to look at my rings, one said she had never seen anything so sparkly!! I thought "how different!!" because back here in the states, my stone size is average for my area, and I see cut qualities as nice as mine very frequently. But especially in the more rural parts of Ireland, stone size is very small and not the best qualities. I just hate that they seem to be paying too much
39.gif

again, this was just my observations. I did see one huge 3 carat honker on a women working in the airport, it was a round and looked really spectacular! I''m sure it cost a pretty penny
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2005 11:42:26 AM
Author: IrishEyes
( maybe .25 and .30) with poor coloring and light return being asked for about 2000-3000 Euro!!!
6.gif
In terms of US dollars, this converts to about $2500-3700 for the stone. Completely overpriced. It was funny because my stone, a .75 princess got jaw droppings and rave reviews from several women over there. They were grabbing my hand to look at my rings, one said she had never seen anything so sparkly!! I thought ''how different!!'' because back here in the states, my stone size is average for my area, and I see cut qualities as nice as mine very frequently. But especially in the more rural parts of Ireland, stone size is very small and not the best qualities. I just hate that they seem to be paying too much
39.gif

again, this was just my observations. I did see one huge 3 carat honker on a women working in the airport, it was a round and looked really spectacular! I''m sure it cost a pretty penny
9.gif
IE
ouch..... .30ct for $2500-3700?.
23.gif
i''m sure you knock those women out,with your princess.
1.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
hehehe.... yeah, it made me realize what a nice stone I have! I''ve been suffering from diamond shrinkage syndrome lately, and seeing the small diamonds for so much money made me realize how lucky I am with the one I have now!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results