shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to learn-- why is this one "average"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
I came across this cushion which several PS vendors listed:

G VS2
Depth: 57.6%
Table: 58%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: GD
Culet: L
Girdle: STK-VTK
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 8.40x7.29x4.20

here''s the link: http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=4377887&ref=PS622

Dirt Cheap Diamonds classified it as "Average," but they and other PS vendors priced it at $17K, which seems on the high end for 2ct G VS2 cushions.

I know the girdle is too thick, and the culet is not always desirable (and I''ve seen some stones with SL culets that were barely detectable), but to me it seems that the spread is pretty good.

So why do you think it''s "Average"? Because of the girdle and culet? Is it too shallow? To my ignorant eye, it seems better than other cushions grader higher. And also, if it''s "Average" why the high price, especially given the faint fluorescence?

Thanks!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
i''ve been looking at cushions lately, and have no idea why some are "ideal" or "premium" or "average." i would guess that it might be something subjective, from the supplier of the stones? we all know that you really can''t jidge a cushion by its numbers, so i don''t know where those cut grades come from. i''ve noticed some cushions with depths similar to that one are similar in depth. so, basically i''ve been no help. but maybe someone else has more information, as i would appreciate it as well
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I could be totally wrong, but I vaguely remember a post or a conversation with DCD where they said that sort of evaluation is automatically computer generated, and the program uses RB figures to spit out that evaluation. Thus, if I''m remembering correctly, the "average" is a completely useless label unless it''s talking about a RB.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hest88,

You''re close, but not exact.

With all virtual inventory we run depth, table, polish & sym through a filter and spit out a cut grade. The filters are specific to different shapes, so we don''t hold a cushion to the same standards as a round. The system isn''t perfect, but like many other cut grade tools, it''s meant to provide some inital direction for people who haven''t a clue as to what general ranges are most preferred.

What we do actually isn''t that unique. Every major vendor uses similar classification tools. We call the diamonds "average" - others say "good". What''s different is the way we separate the classes into different folder tabs.

I''ll have to go back and check the logic for cushions, but I"m guessing this stone got knocked down because 57.6% is a little on the shallow end. If any interested client contacted us about this diamond, however, we''d gladly bring it into our office for personal inspection.

Hope this helps!

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jim for your response! I wasn''t necessarily interested in this particular stone, as it is out of my budget; I was just suprised by the Average grade and was wondering what the logic was behind it. Thanks for clearing it up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results