shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to learn...whats the difference in these two?

SimplyRed

Rough_Rock
Looking at an on-line diamond site for loose stones. Many are listed, but here is one example that I want to use to learn about this process. I'm very new to diamond buying. However, with 45 years of marriage coming soon, dear hubby wants to be me some a special ring. We've looked at rings at Helzberg and at a small private jeweler. I love the Simon G mosaic at $16,500....but would rather keep our retirement fund intact after this anniversary. So here's my question:

Two loose stones listed as follows:

Both are Princess Cut, 1.2 carat each, Premium Cut, E color, Clarity Vs1 and VVs1, Polish Excellent, Symetry Excellent, Depth 74.8 and 70.0, Table 72. and 70., Flourescent N/A.......Price: one is $5780 (EGL) and the other is $11,120 (GIA)

So what is the big difference? Is the minor difference in Clarity the big factor? Is it the depth and table? Those are really the only differences listed. Everything else is supossedly the same.

Thank for the lesson.
'Red

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Among other big red flags- the EGL stone is guaranteed to be misgraded- and by a huge margin.
The biggest rad flag of all is if the seller is not telling you that EGL reports are widely known to be completely unreliable when it comes to grading

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SimplyRed|1414770124|3775447 said:
Two loose stones listed as follows:

Both are Princess Cut, 1.2 carat each, Premium Cut, E color, Clarity Vs1 and VVs1, Polish Excellent, Symetry Excellent, Depth 74.8 and 70.0, Table 72. and 70., Flourescent N/A.......Price: one is $5780 (EGL) and the other is $11,120 (GIA)

So what is the big difference? Is the minor difference in Clarity the big factor? Is it the depth and table? Those are really the only differences listed. Everything else is supossedly the same.

Thank for the lesson.
'Red
The lab report...EGL vs GIA.. ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL was kicked out of rapnet. Also people are suing over EGL's inaccuracy as fraud.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SimplyRed|1414775226|3775505 said:
So are you saying that one should never buy a stone that is graded by EGL?

No, not if you are a super qualified diamond expert and are able to examine the diamond and find that rare needle in a haystack that is actually graded correctly.

Yes, absolutely yes, if you are not the above and have no way to know or not know if this is the one in a big number diamond that is actually graded correctly and for some odd reason not sent to a quality laboratory for the grade and pedigree that will make it cost thousands of dollars more.

Diamond dealers are rarely that blase with their tight dollars that they would make such an egregious error.

EGL's reputation has just gotten worse and worse over the past few years, especially the EGL laboratories that are located in Europe and Israel. Their grading is so disrespected that the trade only pays about 50% of what they would pay for a GIA report with the same grades.

As Gypsy has stated, EGL reports are no longer allowed on Rap.net. There are many reasons why, but I think the law suits really hit home to many in the trade who realize that they may be next if they continue to trade in and ask the public to rely upon reports that they know to be bogus.

Wink

SimplyRed

Rough_Rock
Wow! I had no idea. So how can a company have an opening page with the following, yet offer the below selection? And by the way....this is from a source I found on PriceScope. :think:

"In selecting only the finest quality GIA and AGS certified diamonds, ______Jewels brings the diamond mystique to you. Shop our diamond inventory by selecting your desired criteria below."

Shape Carat Cut Color Clarity Polish Symmetry Report Depth Table Fluor. Price
Princess 1.20 Premium E VS1 EX EX EGL Intl 74.8% 72.0% None $5,780
Princess 1.23 Premium E VVS1 EX EX GIA 73.5% 70.0% None $11,120

PS: What is rapnet?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SimplyRed|1414783294|3775583 said:
Wow! I had no idea. So how can a company have an opening page with the following, yet offer the below selection? And by the way....this is from a source I found on PriceScope. :think:

"In selecting only the finest quality GIA and AGS certified diamonds, ______Jewels brings the diamond mystique to you. Shop our diamond inventory by selecting your desired criteria below."

Shape Carat Cut Color Clarity Polish Symmetry Report Depth Table Fluor. Price
Princess 1.20 Premium E VS1 EX EX EGL Intl 74.8% 72.0% None $5,780
Princess 1.23 Premium E VVS1 EX EX GIA 73.5% 70.0% None $11,120

PS: What is rapnet?

Hmmm? Maybe this is a case of Actions speaking louder than words?

Rap.net is a major diamond trading network that both offers price lists of what diamonds are selling for (advertised as "High Cash asking prices" which means the price that the uninitiated pay) and has a trading network where diamonds are actually offered for sale by many cutters and wholesalers. It is from the lists of diamonds on Rap.net that many of the virtual diamonds that can be found on hundreds of sites, all competing to be the cheapest on the block, come from.

Wink

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
SimplyRed|1414783294|3775583 said:

Well, I have no horse in this race, so I am going to name the vendor (found by Google): Firenze Jewels

Now, I don't know what you meant by saying you found this vendor on Pricescope. They are not a "PS vendor" in the sense of being a featured/vetted sponsor. They also don't show up in the search tool for local jewelers.

With regards to Firenze Jewels, I know nothing about them. However, poking around the Internet Archive, I found out that until November 2010, their sales blurb read "In selecting only the finest quality GIA and EGL certified diamonds, Firenze Jewels brings the diamond mystique to you." In December 2010, they changed "EGL" to "AGS" in this sentence.

The most charitable interpretation is that they switched their virtual inventory in December 2010 to list only GIA and AGS diamonds, but that they later decided to bring back EGL stones, and forgot to update their website text.

Good luck, and caveat emptor!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi 'Red-
I am a relative newbie when it comes to making loose stone diamond purchases online and after a good bit of reading and help from folks on this board have had a simply wonderful experience.
My suggestion to you is make sure you are buying your stone from a very reputable vendor. You want it to sparkle.

There are company's online that have pictures and computer pictures of the stones and so the decision you make can be a very well informed one.

Happy Hunting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not every vendor is good for everything. Firenze has some great finished pieces. Like earrings and so forth. But I would not use them for loose stones and engagement rings. So yes, some of us will recommend them. But for finished pieces. Not engagement rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results