shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to imitate this setting.

partners

Rough_Rock
I LOVE this setting from "ringabling" and was wondering how I can go about doing it if choose not to go with LM.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-mege-ring-experience.156266/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-mege-ring-experience.156266/[/URL]

I am sure LM will cost an arm and a leg, so I wanted to see what my other options.

Is this similar to the vatche caroline? I want to get a thin band, like 1.8mm - ring will be size 5 btw.

If I was to go to a jeweler, how would I do go about describing it so they have a better idea and can imitate?
How would they know the proportions and such things?

I want to go for 95% Platinum / 5% Ruthenium.

Thanks for the input.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

partners

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1393560209|3624500 said:
Okay so several things.

First, Please read this: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426[/URL]

Second, if you want a ring inspired by LM your best bet is ERD's CAD bench. Alternately you can try David Klass (very affordable), or Mark Broumand.

:wavey:

Thanks Gypsy.

Unfortunately, the two you mentioned are across the country.
I don't know how I feel about having my diamond shipped there, and then back...
Would rather work with someone closer i.e. nyc area.
Anyone besides ERD?
VC is around NYC, but is just as expensive as LM.
What about IDJewelery?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VC is in CA.

Why not ERD?

Also, IDJ has one bench that does lovely custom work. Call and speak to Yekutiel. He might be able to help you.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Steven Kirsch is in NYC, and I believe actually used to work for Mege before he struck out on his own. Price-wise, I believe he's more than ERD, less than Mege or Canera. His stuff tends to get very good reviews out here: check out the recent pieces he's done for PS'r Charmypoo.

partners

Rough_Rock
Ah yes I got VC and Kirsch mixed up as far as location.

Kirsch is about the same as LM in terms of pricepoint.

No qualms with ERD, but would just like other options.

IDJ can handle this kind of project?

How is this ring described?

Thanks again.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't describe it. You send them the pictures.

partners

Rough_Rock
Talked to Idj and he said he can do it.
He said this is just like the vatche Caroline with just some added melee and dbl claws.

Is this similar to the Caroline?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want that kind of work, you'll need to pay for that kind of work. Her ring was custom for her and they paid for that level of work. Yours will be custom for you. This isn't something you can cheap out on if you want that kind of setting. Go to Steven Kirsch if you don't want Leon Mege but want the same or better level of work, or go to ERD for a variation on it that might be less expensive but won't be the same design. While the Vatche is nice, it's not the same thing.

partners

Rough_Rock
ame|1393599035|3624670 said:
If you want that kind of work, you'll need to pay for that kind of work. Her ring was custom for her and they paid for that level of work. Yours will be custom for you. This isn't something you can cheap out on if you want that kind of setting. Go to Steven Kirsch if you don't want Leon Mege but want the same or better level of work, or go to ERD for a variation on it that might be less expensive but won't be the same design. While the Vatche is nice, it's not the same thing.

Can you clarify on what you mean "by that kind of work"?
I don't have a keen eye for such things and would really appreciate some feedback.

BTW, I contacted IDJ and they stated they can get Vatche to do a custom imitation to the above LM.
What do you gals think? Is this a good option?
I am just curious how one can look at a picture and get to know the intimate details to imitate, such as the various angles, diamond seating depth, etc. etc.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a google search for Vatche Caroline.

Or go to dvatche.com and look.

partners

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1393640283|3625048 said:

Ah yes ok. I have seen the pics.

Idj said he can get vatche to custom make it. Thoughts?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
partners|1393641567|3625059 said:
Gypsy|1393640283|3625048 said:

Ah yes ok. I have seen the pics.

Idj said he can get vatche to custom make it. Thoughts?

None really. It will look like the Caroline. The decision is yours. If you like that look, then ok. If you don't and want something closer to the Leon, then not okay. I can't decide for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are claw prongs and details that the Caroline doesn't have.

partners

Rough_Rock
Claw prong = double prong at the stone?

Gypsy, what do you think about the setting in your opinion?
The GF said she liked it, so I am looking into it.
Is there anything else similar that may look better?
Or other similar good ones?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't want to work with a long distance vendor. And you asked for advice for vendors local to NY you can do what you want. I recommended that you in touch with ERD and ask them for a CAD quote for that setting.

That's still my advice if you want the closest setting to the original Leon possible with a CAD bench.

The Vatche Caroline has different lines than the Leon, and the pave is very different as well. But it is one of my favorite Vatche settings. And it has four prongs and a similar basket and has the cathedral shank style.

I don't know your lady. If she was a pricescoper? I would tell you that the two are probably not close enough. Because we are very knowledgeable about jewelry and tend to be a fussy lot.

I don't know what aspects of the Leon your lady liked. I don't know anything about her taste. Or how picky she is about fashion/design.

So I can't help you make this decision.

I can tell you both ERD and Vatche have good reputations for quality and that you will get a nice product either way.

About the prongs. Yes those are double claw prongs on the Leon.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The Vatache Caroline and the Leon ring looks nothing alike at all! However, if you are ok with the Vatache .. it really doesn't matter. You aren't trying to imitate the Leon ring.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
partners|1393636773|3625025 said:
ame|1393599035|3624670 said:

Can you clarify on what you mean "by that kind of work"?
I don't have a keen eye for such things and would really appreciate some feedback.

BTW, I contacted IDJ and they stated they can get Vatche to do a custom imitation to the above LM.
What do you gals think? Is this a good option?
I am just curious how one can look at a picture and get to know the intimate details to imitate, such as the various angles, diamond seating depth, etc. etc.
Vatche work and LM work are not at all on the same field ... no chance.

"That Kind Of Work" means that the Vatche is not 100% hand forged and hand wired and hand set micropave. It's not the same quality of work or same amount of labor investment. Vatche casts parts of their rings, and does wire work for other parts, and then sets the stones. Leon Mege, or Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera would be HAND FORGING these things for you, not casting anything. BIG BIG difference in labor costs and finished product look.

A lot of our ability to identify the differences is simply being detail oriented. The rest is knowing what to look for from experience.

A Vatche Caroline, custom by IDJ or not will NEVER EVER EVER be in the same class or style of work as LM, SK or VC. Just not happening. Not the same. And that's why there's such a massive price difference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ame and Charmy's posts aside. ERD's CAD bench will probably be able to get pretty close.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ERD does amazing work. But I don't think id try to expect them to replicate hand wrought custom work. But if you're trying to avoid the price point assessed with that level of work, they're worth a consideration.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI I had Leon, Steven and Victor all quote my ER reset in December and Leon was the least expensive followed by Victor and then Steven. It all depends on your particular project and if your only concern about going to Leon is perceived price, then you really should have him quote it so you know for sure. Quotes don't cost you anything and you do t have to describe anything. Just show them the pictures.

partners

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the wonderful advice.
GF is not a pricesoper whew ;))

Anyways, it appears my best local choices are ERD, LM and SK.
I will contact all three and compare prices.

What do you guys think of this setting by the way?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it matters what we think of it, if your lady loves it. Her's is the only opinion that matters. :wavey:

partners

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1393729374|3625606 said:
I don't think it matters what we think of it, if your lady loves it. Her's is the only opinion that matters. :wavey:

Awww thanks Gypsy.

Anyways, was slickly chatting with the GF and she also mentioned she liked a more simpler version of the earlier one I had posted. It is another LM piece and can be seen here : https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/view-all/engagement-ring-wedding-band-set-detail
It is the LM r1079.

What do you guys think between the two?
She is not sure about the cathedral thingies on the side of the original piece.
I am also thinking the original looks good because the stone is a honkin 3+ ct and mine is only 2ct.

Suggestions?

partners

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1393812016|3626132 said:
They are all nice .. what about these two? They don't have the cathedral shoulder but it is a bit more special / different than the one you posted above.

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0202.html

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0212.html

Thanks Charmy.

I had shown her the R0202 "Preciosa" ring before and she really like that one as well.

I guess it comes down to the cathedral - she is not sure how it would look on her finger.
We are under the impression that it may only look good with honking big stones, like 3ct+.

Thoughts on the cathedral thingy on the side?
I don't care either way, she is not sure what to think of it...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am not a good person to ask about cathedrals because I like them. My two most expensive rings both have cathedral shanks. I like the swoopiness up to the top of the diamond versus the dangling head look. My diamonds are 1.7 ct and 2.4 ct. With that said, I also really like a solitaire without cathedral as well. It sounds like your gf doesn't like a cathedral setting so why consider it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the SK ring. The last LM you posted has parts that are too thin and there have been structural problems with some his rings because of that. That's a LOT of money to spend to risk future problems, in my opinion.

In reference to the Vatche Caroline, I think IDJ is not talking about that one. They are talking about the solitaire like my daughter has but adding a single row of pave on the shank, I believe.

Exactly what is your budget for the setting, and what is the size of your center stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results