shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to Decide between Pear and Emerald Cut

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Well, I got a quote. $10,000 because of the baguettes having to be hand cut! It sucks because I am DEAD SET on this design. I mean, I don't want anything else! But that is not within my budget. I was thinking it would be $6-7 K. I could have done that. But 10?????? I'm sad. :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose said:
Well, I got a quote. $10,000 because of the baguettes having to be hand cut! It sucks because I am DEAD SET on this design. I mean, I don't want anything else! But that is not within my budget. I was thinking it would be $6-7 K. I could have done that. But 10?????? I'm sad. :(

Which vendor gave you that quote?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1467936199|4052801 said:
avalonrose said:

Which vendor gave you that quote?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'd like to know too! That's an insane price.

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
The one whose website I posted with the pic. Then I took it to a local jeweler (very accomplished, talented) to design it very similarly and he said $9,000. He said it was because all the baguettes have to be cut by hand....none are straight rectangle shapes. If anyone has any other suggestions on someone who could design this ring more reasonably I would be open to it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose said:
The one whose website I posted with the pic. Then I took it to a local jeweler (very accomplished, talented) to design it very similarly and he said $9,000. He said it was because all the baguettes have to be cut by hand....none are straight rectangle shapes. If anyone has any other suggestions on someone who could design this ring more reasonably I would be open to it.

I strongly recommend you contact David Klass. I figured it would be pricier, but $10K just sounds insane to me. [emoji15]

Note: I believe DK is on vacation right now, but should be back soon?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I had a ring made with custom cut baguettes three years ago, for much less then your quote-I would definitely contact David Klass or Love Affair Diamonds/CVB Caysie Van Bebber.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose|1467937397|4052809 said:

If you are dead set on that setting, I would get a quote from Love Affair Diamonds/CVB. I don't see it being $9,000 or $10,000 but I could be wrong.....

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I will check out the leads you gave me. Much, much appreciated. I'll let you know what they say.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To throw another option in, do you like something along the lines of this picture? It's not as classic as the ring you originally posted and looks more modern. But it gives the baguette halo look while taking out all the baguette-to-baguette joins and means that none of the baguettes need to be tapered/angled on the ends, so could be a cheaper option if it's the baguette cutting that your jeweller has said is the expensive part? If you're getting quotes from Caysie and David Klass and like the style, maybe they could give you an idea of cost for a full baguette halo and also something with rounds in so you can see the price difference? It is a lot more modern than the classic style you posted but I'm sure Caysie could add a bucket-load of her vintage flair to something along these lines!

baguettes_and_rounds_ring.png

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say - the picture is obviously an asscher not an emerald cut but I assume something similar could be workable with an emerald?!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echoing lissyflo's suggestion, here are several more baguette halo styles. I know they are not what you have your heart set on, but as the other poster stated, Caysie would be able to help you achieve a very cool look bc she is a complete artist with a great eye for the overall aesthetic you desire, as well as what will and/or what won't work.
448a342e3c955e8bc6f2adecb8cbe5fa.jpg

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Artdecolover....who custom designed your ring? And if I might ask, do you remember how much you paid, and/or could you tell me what you think is a reasonable price to pay for what I want? I've never had anything custom made before so I have no idea!

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
lissyflo and msop, I do like those examples....but my heart is kind of set on the original! I can't get it out of my head!

Has anyone ever had a mental issue with sending your diamond off to another town to an unknown (to you) jeweler for work? My husband is all freaked out thinking the worst about the whole scenario.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
10k is about right. That's a lot of custom cut baguettes. And baguettes are expensive to start with.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
10k is about right. That's a lot of custom cut baguettes. And baguettes are expensive to start with.

Still wouldn't hurt to get quotes from DK and CVB. [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose said:
Artdecolover....who custom designed your ring? And if I might ask, do you remember how much you paid, and/or could you tell me what you think is a reasonable price to pay for what I want? I've never had anything custom made before so I have no idea!

Artdeco's ring was made by Caysie Van Bebber (CVB). [emoji7]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose said:
lissyflo and msop, I do like those examples....but my heart is kind of set on the original! I can't get it out of my head!

Has anyone ever had a mental issue with sending your diamond off to another town to an unknown (to you) jeweler for work? My husband is all freaked out thinking the worst about the whole scenario.

I think it's normal to be a little nervous about shipping your diamond, but it's really not that big a deal. People do it all the time.

Most vendors will send you VERY specific instructions, and they typically use overnight shipping... so you don't have to sweat if for very long. [emoji400][emoji183][emoji28][emoji1360]

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that info. Also, how much skill would be involved in this design? Do you think David Klass or CVB could adequately handle such a design? I have never heard of either of them (which means nothing, because I don't know about ANY designers). But the person that I have talked to locally used to work at Zoltan David and also was a jeweler at Tiffany. I want this to be in pretty expert hands.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avalonrose said:
Thank you for that info. Also, how much skill would be involved in this design? Do you think David Klass or CVB could adequately handle such a design? I have never heard of either of them (which means nothing, because I don't know about ANY designers). But the person that I have talked to locally used to work at Zoltan David and also was a jeweler at Tiffany. I want this to be in pretty expert hands.

I would imagine you'd need a very competent bench... and I would say that DK and CVB are VERY competent. They are EXPERTS and have done MANY PS rings.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This setting from Daniel K has been a favorite of mine for years. I love the baguette halo with a step cut center. I hope you can get it made at a reasonable price. I'd love to see the end results!

daniel_k_baguette_halo.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a similar look with actual emerald cuts.

antique_step_cut_earrings.jpg

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Nice pics! I do love them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, that was a super-informative thread you posted. Thank you very much! :)

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Well, here's an update. I have decided to go with David Klass. His work is excellent based on photos I have found of his work and his prices are very reasonable. It feels very comfortable working with him and Amy.
I have decided to do a single shank/band. Currently we are planning on a baguetted halo all the way around. I know I will save money if I put rounds in each of the four corners, but how much do you think it will change the look I want to achieve with the style I had originally posted?
My main goals with this ring is to have it offer more finger coverage and be elegant...which my old setting did not offer me.
I am thinking about having just a plain platinum shank instead of the baguetted shank in order to save money....I might upgrade the stone in future (you never know!) and want to save money any way I can. BUT I know a plain shank especially platinum can dull very quickly.
WWYD? Specifically about the four rounds in the corners and about the shank? Please be honest! I hate making decisions.
Thanks so much in advance! :)

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the quote from DK for a full baguette halo is in budget then I'd vote for that option! You've leaned towards that from the first picture you've posted and, from what you've said, it seems like you'd view rounds in the corners as a compromise. You're going to look at your finger for a lot of years (even if a future upgrade may be on the cards) and seeing your dream ring there is going to make you happy every time (assuming it's in budget!). And, as you say you're aiming for elegant, then a full baguette halo is really classic elegance, to my eye anyway!

If you do upgrade in the future, you could always put a coloured stone into the setting instead as a RHR - aquamarines in particular look stunning in that kind of deco-inspired setting.

I'm not sure what I think about plain or baguetted shank. You could have plain and add a band,that way you get to tone down or ramp up the bling?!

avalonrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lissy flo, for the comments.
I definitely want to add a wedding band in the future, probably a baguette eternity ring. It's a long story but due to a horrible reset a few years ago, I had the head of my engagement placed on the shank of my wedding band. So I no longer have a wedding band. Big mess. Anyway, as much as I like elegant, I am also a somewhat casual person so I am leaning toward the plain band to save money as well as to make my ring not too blingy and heavy looking, as I will be buying another band in the future. Just worried the plain band might look too flat and dull compared to the halo? I've seen examples here and elsewhere with the plain band and halo and it looks good, but it's always brand spanking new when photographed and therefore the metal is still shiny and new looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results