shape
carat
color
clarity

Trillion Ring off of Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lled22

Rough_Rock
Hi

I''ve been shopping for a Trillion Diamond (about 2ct) / engagement ring. I''ve really been doing the best research I can
read.gif
as I know few people use a trillion for a center stone....but that''s what she wants, so that''s what she gets.

As there are very few of these stones to see (after a two months I''ve only seen one in a jewlery store - and it was horrible and very, very expensive), I''ve been looking quite a bit on the internet.

I''ve found a bunch of loose stones on the various sites, but I''ve also found two rings on Ebay that seem to be much less expensive than the comparable stones on the usual internet sites. The rings are exactly what she wants. Both come with guarantees to return them...but I''ve been unable to actually pull the trigger and buy one of the two.

Is anyone willing to check them out and share their opinion?
wavey.gif
I would very much appreciate some different points of view.
appl.gif
Thanks in advance and here are the links to the two rings....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67726&item=4928958603&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67726&item=4928985030&rd=1

twirl.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, just something to keep in mind. I'm doubtful that the picture you see in the MDC store is of the actual diamond, be sure and ask about that. From what I remember about them you are looking at a "representation" of the actual ring. I don't know what a good depth is for a trillion but 42% seems pretty shallow. I almost bought a diamond from MDC and when I finally did some homework and shopped around here on PS, I found that I could do almost as well in price and get a GIA certified stone that was of much better quality.

The second ring from DiamondDudes raises a red flag in two areas. They say in their ad that the diamond is G-H yet the IGI certificate says H-I, also they say SI1-2 clarity and the certificate says VS. I don't know if I'm seeing reflections in the picture on the certificate, but they look like black carbon spots to me. Also that ring measures 10 x 10.5 and is only .08 bigger than the MDC diamond that measures 9.3 x 9 at a depth of 42% It sounds like that diamond may be even more shallow than 42%. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me on trillions can tell you what ideal proportions for a trillion are.

In my dealings with Ebay, I've found that if the bargain looks to good to resist then there's probably a catch. You really get what you pay for most of the time. Who knows though, maybe there's a bargain to be had.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At less than 50% depth (btw. this is typical for trillions although you may find the odd large piece with more depth to it) and cut with very large tables by default, these stones are notorious for showing whatever inclusions available off the bat. The 2.08 piece seems to show obvious black cristal inclusions in the picture - something you may want to reconsider. It is nearly impossible to tell what makes the other stone an SI2 - one could only wish for better pictures and an inclusions plot.

On the other hand, the price of the 2.5 is almost too good to be true. The other seems appropriate for a stone certified in mounting.

Large trillions like these are not common - as you say - but not impossible to find either. Actually, Here's one. And I bet there are better deals to be hed if you want to look further.

You may want to look down This link as well.
read.gif

It is a gamble to call a large SI2 piece with vitually no accunt of what the inclusions look like - but you can definitely do that as long as there is some return policy.

Trillions are not exactly famous for being very brilliant (comparable to marquizes and pears, as long as depth does not get very low indeed - say, below 40%), but larger ones show fire quite well and make impressive, unusual rings. Definitely a great choice.

Just my 0.2, of course.

reena

Ideal_Rock
have you considered checking with one of the pricescope vendors to see if they can get some larger trillion stones in for you? it's possible that they may have access to more such stones than your local B&M. and that way you don't necessarily have to go the ebay route.
1.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding the first, I absolutely would not buy an SI2 from an Ebay vendor, especially one that only has a 10-day satisfaction guarantee window.

Regarding the second, I don't like how they can't decide what the stone *is*. Is it a G, or an H? Is it an SI1, or an SI2? There is a difference, and the cert should state it--but the IGI cert they've got scanned in can't decide, either. And ignore the replacement value--it's inflated. They usually are. And while they do have a purchase-on-approval type plan, they don't tell you what the fine print is, and they don't make ANY mention of any satisfaction-guaranteed return policy.

Plus, that second stone seems overpriced at minimum $9800... I found a 2.01 H SI1 through pricescope for $9017, or how about this 1.84 G SI1 for $8,022? Or this 2.30 F SI1 PREMIUM cut trill for $14,785?
love.gif

I think you can do better than ebay with just a little digging. Why don't you contact one of the ps vendors, let them know what you're looking for and your budget, and see if they can't get a stone in for you?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Valeria, that step cut diamond on the Stuller site is facinating, I've never seen anything like it before. It does look like depths in the 40's aren't too unusual for trillions.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/28/2004 9:07:01 PM pearcrazy wrote:

They say in their ad that the diamond is G-H yet the IGI certificate says H-I, also they say SI1-2 clarity and the certificate says VS. ----------------

pearcrazy--that boggled me, too, but then I realized the cert was describing the baguettes as the H-I VS1; the center stone specs are at the top of the card, on the right.
wacko.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I can only give you anectotal feedback but I have heard not great things about MDC on eBay--and their pictures are stock--never of what you are really getting. I'd avoid it.
1.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for pointing that out goldengirl, I went back and looked and probably noticed it about the same time as you did. Interesting that they make a point of saying that the black spots on the IGI photo are not carbon spots. Hmmmmm...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/28/2004 9:21:15 PM pearcrazy wrote:

Wow, Valeria, that step cut diamond on the Stuller site is facinating, I've never seen anything like it before. It does look like depths in the 40's aren't too unusual for trillions.----------------

Yeah, I definitely know that one... up close and personal. No idea who cuts those, but the shape is usually sold as side stones - just like the unusual trillions.

About depth. Well, it is very unusual to find larger trillions above 50% depth, but I would think twice before considering one below 40% - that is quite shallow. Small ones do not really look greta this shallow, but 2 cts is hardly 'small'. I do not know of any formal standard for this cut.

There is a brand though called "Trielle" (Link) but... still no public standards and probably some premium. Their catalog is definitely worth a look for unusual triangular rings and some crazy eternity bands
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/28/2004 9:32:28 PM pearcrazy wrote:

Interesting that they make a point of saying that the black spots on the IGI photo are not carbon spots. Hmmmmm...----------------

Sorry, haven't see that one. They can be right, of course. Actually, the same line is repeated with many of their listings - just to make sure
rolleyes.gif

And there is a pretty obvious note saying that a potential buyer can have the ring "shipped on approval" to have a look before the transaction become sfinal. I hope this means they would ship to an appraiser of the buyer's choice, not an intermediary of their choice.

It is rather hard to photograph diamonds well, I know that, but many other items have better pictures. So, I need more convincing that this particular one looks as good as it "sounds" from picture and listing.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, ana, I think I'd really love a trillion channel-set eternity band as an alternate to princess or rounds--by alternating point-up with point-down and setting them flush, you'd get that seamless look that makes the princess eternity so lovely, but have a little different "feel" to it.
1.gif

How cool.
1.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Trillions are harder to find because the type of rough that is used to cut them is challenged before cutting. There are many more variations of 1ct trillions in size, shape and overall look than any other shape. Most are just dead looking because they are cut for max diameter. There are a few really good trillion cutters out there, but they mostly shoot for matched pairs for side stones and earrings. I wear a trillion, as does my wife, my brother, his wife, my mother, and hundreds of our customers. They look really bad as a sol, or just plopped on a wide band, but with a creative jeweler, they look fantastic. Keep looking, you can do much bettter than Ebay at thousands of locally owned stores and also internet, but you must see trillions before buying. Also helps to put just a tiny dab of hand lotion on the bottom of the stone before buying to see how it looks when dirty. Some trillions look so much worse than dirty princess or round stones. If is still looks good when dirty, and the price is right, buy it.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Agree that the trillion on the Stuller site is magnificent... never seen a stone cut like that. Intriguing, I keep going back to look at it.

lled22

Rough_Rock
Wow.

Thanks everyone for you opionions. I can't believe all the feedback in less than one day.

This search has been a real learning experience for me. Didn't know much about diamonds before, now I do!

I'll go and reply to each.....THANKS AGAIN!!!

lled22

Rough_Rock
I'm sure you are right about the MDC ring (that it isn't a picture of the real ring). I believe he has the ring made once ordered. I also would have to pay another $630 to upgrade to a platinum setting. What is weird with that one also is that CT weight has changed as he has relisted the ring from 2 CT to 1.98 CT and then back to 2 CT.

When I compare the diamonds measurements with other diamonds (including the DiamondDudes one), I have my doubts that it is 2 CTs or even 1.8 CTs. Still, this ring seems to be thousands $$$ less than other similar diamonds...let alone the additional cost of the setting and side diamonds.

So much less, that I'm still leaning towards the purchase so I can view the ring/diamond in person (and/or with an appraiser). If it turns out to be much smaller or have visible inclusions, I'll return it and be out shipping cost. That risk seems worth it. Also, the feedback he has supports that this shouldn't be a problem to do.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not guess that an unusual stone like that would stand out. Here are some more
2.gif

The links where these come from are: Diamondrough, and Jewelryexpert and one more. There are lots of unusual cuts like these - beautiful, but never put through marketing paces.

Btw, Kenneth Glasser lists a handful of trillions on one page (LINK). never mind the particular colors - these are supposed to be a sample of cuts and there is just abou everything on his catalog.

ThreeCorners.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/29/2004 3:53:47 PM lled22 wrote:

... I'm still leaning towards the purchase so I can view the ring/diamond in person (and/or with an appraiser). If it turns out to be much smaller or have visible inclusions, I'll return it and be out shipping cost. That risk seems worth it. Also, the feedback he has supports that this shouldn't be a problem to do.----------------

Sounds good to me. Keep us posted!

lled22

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/28/2004 9:12:35 PM valeria101 wrote:

At less than 50% depth (btw. this is typical for trillions although you may find the odd large piece with more depth to it) and cut with very large tables by default, these stones are notorious for showing whatever inclusions available off the bat. The 2.08 piece seems to show obvious black cristal inclusions in the picture - something you may want to reconsider. It is nearly impossible to tell what makes the other stone an SI2 - one could only wish for better pictures and an inclusions plot.

On the other hand, the price of the 2.5 is almost too good to be true. The other seems appropriate for a stone certified in mounting.

Large trillions like these are not common - as you say - but not impossible to find either. Actually, Here's one. And I bet there are better deals to be hed if you want to look further.

You may want to look down This link as well.
read.gif

It is a gamble to call a large SI2 piece with vitually no accunt of what the inclusions look like - but you can definitely do that as long as there is some return policy.

Trillions are not exactly famous for being very brilliant (comparable to marquizes and pears, as long as depth does not get very low indeed - say, below 40%), but larger ones show fire quite well and make impressive, unusual rings. Definitely a great choice.

Just my 0.2, of course.

----------------

Thanks for your opinion too. I'm still learning how to post on this site. My last post was in response to pear crazy. I've edited the quote above a bit too.

The first link is to a stone (reference to as Triliant cut) that has cost of nearly $4,000 more (not including setting or side stones). Of course the size is bigger and the color is supposed to be better & comes with an EGL cert. That is quite a bit more and I'd still have to hassle with getting the stone in the right setting and that additional time (time=money) and cost. That is typical of what I've found when searching for loose stones.

The second link; both stones are actually triangle cuts which have the straight sides vs. rounded sides that come on a trillion cut. I definately am looking for trillion. I'm not sure if the Trilliant Cut on the first is triangle or trillion or something different. The second stone on the second link was very strange with the straight corners - I hadn't seen one like that yet.

After doing all this shopping, I think she mada a good choice (actually not a choice but told me that is the type of stone she likes) on they type of cut for her ring. They do seem to look good in a sol setting.

Thank you again!

lled22

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/28/2004 9:16:12 PM reena wrote:

have you considered checking with one of the pricescope vendors to see if they can get some larger trillion stones in for you? it's possible that they may have access to more such stones than your local B&M. and that way you don't necessarily have to go the ebay route.
1.gif
----------------

Thanks. Yes, I've found quite a few stones off of pricescope and others (dirtcheapdiamonds, etc.). Yet, I still see the pricing being significantly higher. I think that is what has kept me from the purchasing off of ebay....there is such a big difference that I do get the feel that it may be too good to be true....then again....

lled22

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/28/2004 9:20:31 PM goldengirl wrote:

Regarding the first, I absolutely would not buy an SI2 from an Ebay vendor, especially one that only has a 10-day satisfaction guarantee window.

Regarding the second, I don't like how they can't decide what the stone *is*. Is it a G, or an H? Is it an SI1, or an SI2? There is a difference, and the cert should state it--but the IGI cert they've got scanned in can't decide, either. And ignore the replacement value--it's inflated. They usually are. And while they do have a purchase-on-approval type plan, they don't tell you what the fine print is, and they don't make ANY mention of any satisfaction-guaranteed return policy.

Plus, that second stone seems overpriced at minimum $9800... I found a 2.01 H SI1 through pricescope for $9017, or how about this 1.84 G SI1 for $8,022? Or this 2.30 F SI1 PREMIUM cut trill for $14,785?
love.gif

I think you can do better than ebay with just a little digging. Why don't you contact one of the ps vendors, let them know what you're looking for and your budget, and see if they can't get a stone in for you?----------------

Why the issue with the 10-day guarantee? From all the feedback it seems that a quite a few returned their ring purchases without any problems.

In regards to the second ring, I the H-I and S-1/S-2 is supposed to be because it is an average of different opinions. I like that it comes with the cert vs. the first ring. I wonder if the info on the first ring can be correct (see previous posts), yet with the second I get the feel that it is no worse than S-2, I have my doubts about the first ring. With the second ring, the stone is bigger and likely better and the seller will upgrade to Platinum for free....yet there is still a $2,300 difference in price.

In regards to your last question; part of it is just being lazy...lol...I'd rather get the ring vs. buying the stone and buying the setting for the stone. I guess I should spend time seeing what the time and cost and hassle of getting the right setting is after buying a loose diamond. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/29/2004 4:13:07 PM lled22 wrote:

Yes, I've found quite a few stones off of pricescope and others (dirtcheapdiamonds, etc.). Yet, I still see the pricing being significantly higher. I think that is what has kept me from the purchasing off of ebay....there is such a big difference that I do get the feel that it may be too good to be true....
----------------

i think you're probably right. my impression is that with diamonds, you generally do get what you pay for.

----------------

In regards to your last question; part of it is just being lazy...lol...I'd rather get the ring vs. buying the stone and buying the setting for the stone. I guess I should spend time seeing what the time and cost and hassle of getting the right setting is after buying a loose diamond. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

----------------

my thought is that this is not the time to be lazy! /idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif seriously, you're talking about a ring that (1) you're about to spend a ton of your hard-earned money on, and (2) is going to grace your fiancee's hand for quite some time. you owe it to yourself to shop around and get the best quality stone you can at a good price. also, most PS vendors--GOG, whiteflash, engagementringsdirect, etc.--can easily do the setting for you as well. that might be an especially good option for you, since you seem to be looking for a fairly straightfoward setting: platinum or WG with side baguettes.

lled22

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/29/2004 5:56:49 PM reena wrote:

----------------
On 9/29/2004 4:13:07 PM lled22 wrote:

----------------

my thought is that this is not the time to be lazy! /idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif seriously, you're talking about a ring that (1) you're about to spend a ton of your hard-earned money on, and (2) is going to grace your fiancee's hand for quite some time. you owe it to yourself to shop around and get the best quality stone you can at a good price. also, most PS vendors--GOG, whiteflash, engagementringsdirect, etc.--can easily do the setting for you as well. that might be an especially good option for you, since you seem to be looking for a fairly straightfoward setting: platinum or WG with side baguettes.

----------------

I'm sure you are right. Not the time to be lazy and it probably wouldn't be that hard to get the setting done. It is just that from what I've researched it is difficult to get the right setting for a Trillion because it needs the V prongs on the corners rather than a "normal" setting for a round or other cut.
I guess I'm still thinking that the first ebay stone is a great, great bargin if it is what it is represented to be. If it isn't I can return it and it will have only cost me the shipping and appraiser fees. Is it worth it for me to risk this cost to save thousands, even if there is a 50/50 chance that it wont be the size or quality represented?
confused.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
i seriously doubt that any internet vendor would have the slightest problem making you a V prong setting for your trillion. they're not that uncommon; I'm sure they do those all the time for princess and pear and marquise stones.

as far as what you should do--that's really your choice. some experienced people here (like ana for example) have told you that the stone is probably to shallow, that it's risky to buy an SI2 without knowing whether it is eyeclean, that the vendor may not be trustworthy and that the price seems to good to be true (in which case, i am willing to bet that it IS too good to be true). if i were you, i would skip it. but if you do decide to go ahead with it, be sure to have it appraised and definitely make sure that the 10 day return window does not include shipping time, or else you may run into a problem.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Only you can decide that one. I would definately pay by credit card in case you end up having a dispute with the vendor and have your appraisal appointment set up for the day after the ring arrives to take full advantage of your 10 day return period if you need it. Good luck, if you decide to go the Ebay route. Please post a picture of the ring when you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results