shape
carat
color
clarity

Traditional Solitaire vs. 5 Stone Ring for Engagement

lktx

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are discussing engagement ring options, and I would love to hear your opinions. I am trying to decide if I want a classic solitaire ring, or if I want to go with a 5 stone.

If we were to get a solitaire, it would be 1 carat to 1.2 carats, and either a BGD round (probably a Blue), or a GOG AVC. If we were to get a 5 stone, it would be with 40 pointers. My ring size is 5.25.

I tried on a 5 stone at Tiffany's and loved the bling and finger coverage. It seems like a cost effective way to maximize the blingy look. :twirl: In addition, if we were to ever upgrade in the future, I could wear the 5 stone on my right hand and always have the ring that we started out with. On the other hand, I worry I might miss having a classic, traditional solitaire. There's something so wonderful about them! :love:

I know a lot of Pricescopers have had both 5 stones and solitaires, and I'm very interested in hearing your reactions to both. Both are quite lovely, so I'm not sure I could go wrong as between the two. But knowing what you know now, if you were selecting an engagement ring, which would you choose?

Thanks!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Tough choice, I have a solitaire with an eternity band. I like a big chunky 5 stone though. Plus, you could use the band as your wedding ring. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with the blingy 5 stone.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
This isn't as large as you want but look at how gorgeous it is!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230805589539?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think what appeals to me about it, is that I've never seen anyone wear anything OTHER than a solitaire in the area that I live in. Heck, even an eternity band is rare. Most people have those matched small diamond chip sets, which are sweet as can be. It's not a stone that make a marriage. I do think the 5 stone just has such presence.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your input, makemepretty!

Edit: replied before I saw the link you posted. Wow, 5 stones are so lovely, aren't they? And I agree that it's a unique look--I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone with one in real life. That appeals to me.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.25ct solitaire, and just got a blingy 5 stone to alternate (smaller than what you would be getting at 1.5cttw). I like that the 5 stone can be dressy or casual, covers the whole finger, and gives a big impression. You'll have to decide what fits you best. You can get a solitaire now and do the 5 stone for an anniversary also.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I really love both solitaires and 5-stones, and I am hoping for a 5-year anniversary present next year and have vacillated between getting a big solitaire or a 5-stone because of the nice symbolism, so I have thought about this same question a lot. My thoughts:

1) Diamond prices are high and only seem to be climbing. Buying a 1-1.2 carat right now, if in budget, is likely going to be cheaper now than in 5 years, whereas buying 5 .40 stones might be more expensive in the future, smaller carat weights don't command as high of prices so could potentially still be affordable in a generous tcw. If you get a 5-stone now and change your mind and later want a solitaire, is it likely to be possible?

2) I have a friend who got a blingy 1 ctw band as an engagement ring, and it was exactly what she wanted, but her family and friends kind of looked at her sideways when she announced her engagement and showed them the ring. She had to explain over and over that it was exactly what she wanted, low-profile and sleek, but instead of people oogling the ring and congratulating her, it was kind of awkward. Are you more traditional or okay with being a bit different and possibly feeling you have to explain yourself/your fiance's choice of ring?

3) You can likely get a smaller tcw 5-stone as a wedding ring to wear with a solitaire, like .75 tcw, and have the best of both worlds until you can get a bigger 5-stone for a RHR: http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/five-stone-shared-prong-diamond-wedding-band-813.htm (one of the photos has a .25, .5, .75, 1 and 1.25 compared next to each other)

4) A 5-stone ring as a 5-year anniversary present is really beautiful symbolism, and then you'd never have to re-size (assuming your left and right ring fingers are different sizes).

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I have both styles. I wore a 1ct solitaire for several years and while I love it, I needed a change. So, I got a 5 stone band from Whiteflash with .33 stones. It is so blingy and I love it! I wear it in place of my solitaire, which I haven't worn since I got my 5 stone ring (4 years ago). Each style is completely different, so it all depends on what you are going for. If you want all-out bling, go with the 5 stone. If you prefer classic, get the solitaire.

It's hard for me to decide that if I were looking for an e-ring now, which style I'd choose. I almost think that I would go for a solitaire if the diamond would be 1ct or above, and if not, I'd probably go with the 5 stone. In my area, the solitaire is very common and I have seen VERY few 5 stone bands, and the ones I have seen are no where as blingy as mine. I get many compliments on it and I think part of it is that's not something seen everyday.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always give this advice, but I think it's really helpful:
Can you buy two cheapie rings at a local department store and wear each of them around the house? A cheapie solitaire and a cheapie five stone? If I were facing your dilemma, that's what I'd do. I kind of feel like rings are a bit like wedding dresses, sometimes we see one in a picture and fall in love, but when we actually try it on it's a completely different story.

As for me, personally, I'm a solitaire gal. I don't love five stone rings on my hand, I much prefer eternity bands on me. So, I did choose, and I would choose a solitaire if I had to do it all over again. But that doesn't matter! Which look do you love on your hand?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 40pointers stretching across your finger will have wayyyy more blingpact than a solitaire of that size. I think both are very classic looks, but I do think if most women had to choose one or the other it'd be a pretty easy choice - I think IRL we all kinda lean pretty firmly one way or the other!

I definitely agree w/ Haven that it'd be best to A) try on some well-made specimens of both styles, and B) try to find some cheapies to take home and play with. Solitaires are IMO more forgiving - it's perfectly fine to make it all about the stone, so a beautiful stone in the cheapest setting you can find will still be a very pretty and presentable ring. With fivestones the emphasis is naturally less on the stones and more on the ring as a whole, so you do have to be a bit more nitpicky about the setting - which of course can add significantly to the cost, depending on just how nicpicky you want to get...

Me, personally, I'm not much of a solitaire gal - I need 'em sidestones! :rodent:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Another thought: like with Yssie's ring, if you got a solitaire, it could become part of a graduated 5-stone ring later. :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1340648229|3223340 said:
Another thought: like with Yssie's ring, if you got a solitaire, it could become part of a graduated 5-stone ring later. :bigsmile:

Much as I love my ring I think w/ the steep graduation I rather missed the boat on "mature" and "classic", if those are lktx's priorities :halo: It's definitely blingy though!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1340648516|3223343 said:
rubybeth|1340648229|3223340 said:

Much as I love my ring I think w/ the steep graduation I rather missed the boat on "mature" and "classic", if those are lktx's priorities :halo: It's definitely blingy though!!

Haha, true, you have a pretty steep graduation with your large center stone. With a 1-1.25 carat, though, I think .5 and .3 sides (or something that looks good proportionally, you are better with that than I am Yssie) could look classic AND blingy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1340649408|3223354 said:
With a 1-1.25 carat, though, I think .5 and .3 sides

Oh I like this a lot Ruby!
4.2--5--6.8mm (~0.3 & 0.5 sides)

3.png

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it's a graduated five-stone ring, that completely changes my opinion. I LOVE graduated five-stones!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1340650200|3223369 said:
rubybeth|1340649408|3223354 said:
With a 1-1.25 carat, though, I think .5 and .3 sides

Oh I like this a lot Ruby!
4.2--5--6.8mm (~0.3 & 0.5 sides)

3.png

ohhh...that does look good!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.08 pear and a .82 5 stone I wear as a wedding band. I'm another that if I had to do it over again I would
probably skipped the solitare and just gone for a blinger 5 stone. Its what I wear most of the time anyway (usually
only wear my ering with it if we are going out to dinner or somewhere nice).

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1340651461|3223383 said:
I have a 1.08 pear and a .82 5 stone I wear as a wedding band. I'm another that if I had to do it over again I would
probably skipped the solitare and just gone for a blinger 5 stone. Its what I wear most of the time anyway (usually
only where my ering with it if we are going out to dinner or somewhere nice).

This is a good point. What type of job do you have? Do you do a lot of housework, gardening, activities with your hands? A 5-stone might be 'lower profile' than a solitaire.

And, Yssie, wow! Those proportions actually look really good. :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late to edit - found it!

HOT's fabulous reset. The setting is a very distinctive style that may or may not be what OP is looking for but the CAD shows the proportions well :sun:
6.5--4.8--4.3

file.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do the solitaire and do a five stone later..

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think that the five stone option that Yssie posted would be the best of both worlds for you. I love it! :love:

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1340656059|3223440 said:
I think that the five stone option that Yssie posted would be the best of both worlds for you. I love it! :love:

Ditto!! Perfect choice.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have both and I will admit if I had it to do over, I would only do the 5 stone, I love mine!!!!!!!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask how likely it is in the future for you or your guy to get you a solitaire or five-stone ring. For me, it is not at all likely that my fiancé would buy me a diamond solitaire for at least another decade. It is far more likely that he would get me a five-stone (he likes the u-prong settings because they a modern and sleek - he told me this the other day while I was looking at some Victorian five-stones). So if I wanted both, I would go with the solitaire now knowing that there was more of a chance of getting a five-stone later, like for a wedding band.

I agree with rubybeth that you also should not do that five-stone if you are going to be worried about what people say. Five-stones worn alone or stacked are something I see mainly on women who've been married a long time, not newly-engaged people, and nothing brings out the traditionalism in people like an engagement.

I love, love, love five-stone rings and my fiancé is on notice that he will be getting one for some anniversary for me. But I personally would not have wanted one for my e-ring, unless it was one like Yssie's or HOT's. Even though I am not the most traditional person, I still wanted my ring to be obviously an e-ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had both. I wouldn't give up my solitaire. I fully admit the 5 stone would be blingier. But I wouldn't give up my solitaire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will just say that I love 5 stone rings, but I wouldn't want .40's in a 5 stone band and I wear a size 5.5. There was someone here who sold one with stones that size and the person who bought it ended up selling and mentioned it was a little much for a 5 stone ring. I'd really recommend considering .30-.33. I bought a vintage 5 stone band that is .20-.25 each, and I promise, it is actually blingy enough for me. If I had a new one made, though, I'd go with .30's.

I have a solitaire and wouldn't give it up, but I love having a 5 stone band to wear as an alternate to my wedding set. I think it all depends on budget. If my budget was $5000, I'd be getting a 5 stone. If the budget was $10,000+, I'd probably get the solitaire.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
Rubybeth, thank you for your thoughtful post! I've tried to reply within the quote--hopefully it works.

rubybeth|1340643124|3223288 said:
1) Diamond prices are high and only seem to be climbing. Buying a 1-1.2 carat right now, if in budget, is likely going to be cheaper now than in 5 years, whereas buying 5 .40 stones might be more expensive in the future, smaller carat weights don't command as high of prices so could potentially still be affordable in a generous tcw. If you get a 5-stone now and change your mind and later want a solitaire, is it likely to be possible?

If I go with a 5 stone now but change my mind later, I will (knock on wood) be able to get a solitaire. Boyfriend and I just graduated from grad school, and we are both fortunate enough to have good jobs lined up. Right now, cash is tighter, but in maybe 4 or 5 years, we would be in a position to purchase a solitaire.

2) I have a friend who got a blingy 1 ctw band as an engagement ring, and it was exactly what she wanted, but her family and friends kind of looked at her sideways when she announced her engagement and showed them the ring. She had to explain over and over that it was exactly what she wanted, low-profile and sleek, but instead of people oogling the ring and congratulating her, it was kind of awkward. Are you more traditional or okay with being a bit different and possibly feeling you have to explain yourself/your fiance's choice of ring?

This is a great point. I am not particularly traditional, but my boyfriend is very, very traditional! I was actually really surprised that he seemed interested by the idea of a 5 stone. I have been blessed with non-judgmental, "we like whatever makes you happy" family and future-in-laws, so I doubt we'd encounter much resistance on that front. My mom was with me when I tried on the 5 stone at Tiffany's, and she liked it so much that she's actually lobbying for it. :lol: I am a bit worried that my boyfriend would see it on my hand and realize that he prefers a classic solitaire. I'll have to double check with him, because I would hate if he felt that way.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
rubybeth|1340652317|3223393 said:
tyty333|1340651461|3223383 said:
only where my ering with it if we are going out to dinner or somewhere nice).

This is a good point. What type of job do you have? Do you do a lot of housework, gardening, activities with your hands? A 5-stone might be 'lower profile' than a solitaire.

And, Yssie, wow! Those proportions actually look really good. :love:

I'll be in an office environment and likely won't be doing much with my hands.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340665578|3223524 said:
I will just say that I love 5 stone rings, but I wouldn't want .40's in a 5 stone band and I wear a size 5.5. There was someone here who sold one with stones that size and the person who bought it ended up selling and mentioned it was a little much for a 5 stone ring. I'd really recommend considering .30-.33. I bought a vintage 5 stone band that is .20-.25 each, and I promise, it is actually blingy enough for me. If I had a new one made, though, I'd go with .30's.

I have a solitaire and wouldn't give it up, but I love having a 5 stone band to wear as an alternate to my wedding set. I think it all depends on budget. If my budget was $5000, I'd be getting a 5 stone. If the budget was $10,000+, I'd probably get the solitaire.

I agree on the size of diamonds in a 5 stone ring. I wear a size 5, and as I mentioned earlier each stone in my ring is .33ct. It is a perfect size for me...it covers my finger completely so you can't see any metal from the band, yet it is still comfortable and super blingy. There are several threads on PS with pictures of our 5 stone rings, and most include the size of the stones and fingers.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
To everyone who suggested a graduated five stone, that sure is an interesting idea :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results