shape
carat
color
clarity

Trade Ins

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewerlylover

Rough_Rock
Does Whiteflash or any other pricescope vendors let you trade in diamonds you didn''t purchase from them to go towards a purchase?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not Whiteflash. You can ask some vendors such as Bill at Pearlmans, James Allen, if they could take your diamond on consignment. It usually needs a GIA or AGS cert though. If a sale results they will take a comission, but there are no guarantees. Have a look on the vendors page at the various sites and their policies, this might be helpful.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I talked to Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, and Wink Jones. Unfortunately they don't take stones in trade that they didn't sell. I also talked to James Allen but they don't carry any lower than H VS2 and mine is an I SI1 so not sure if they do or not beause I was outside of their parameters anyway.

Bill Pearlman is working with me though to find a new stone, so definitely try him.

ETA: Must have been typing at the same time as Lorelei!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee - Hiya Dee!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Several of the vendors will take the diamond in on cosignment and try and sell it for you if you have the paperwork to prove its yours.
3 that I know will do so are:

www.winkjones.com
www.goodoldgold.com
www.pearlmansjewelers.com

As far as I know wf does not offer this service but if they do im sure one of their fans will be along to yell at me about it.

jewerlylover

Rough_Rock
Dee Jay, I wasn''t sure I understood you correctly. Is Bill Pearlman taking your old diamond to go towards your new one?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rules are made by people.
People can bend them when they want to.

I don''t know for sure but I''d suspect if the diamond is good enough, if it has an AGS or GIA report, and if you have clean proof of ownership anyone would take it - On one condition . . .

The right price.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The right diamond at the right price is easy to trade in. It''s all about the details of the deal. Most dealers will be happy consider the merits of a an offer and whether it has a place in their program but the classic ''trade in'' policy relates only to stones that they sell.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was able to trade my platinum and diamond (non-graded stones) bands towards my custom platinum and GIA graded diamond ring, with a local independent high quality jeweler. If you live in a city with a city magazine, you might do what I did. I called some of the jewelers who regulary advertised custom higher end jewelry to see if any would consider taking my rings in trade toward what I wanted. I found a jeweler who was interested and after seeing my trades, gladly took them against what I wanted.

For me, it worked out well. I hope your project works out for you.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 10:37:30 AM
Author: jewelrylover
Dee Jay, I wasn't sure I understood you correctly. Is Bill Pearlman taking your old diamond to go towards your new one?

If I understand correctly what Bill is staying he will find me another diamond and then the supplier that he gets the stone from will buy mine. So, Bill is the middle man in this transaction and my new stone comes from and the old stone goes to the same person. Hope that makes sense.

And also, along the lines of what Rod said, there are also several people in my own physical market that will do the same thing; find me a new stone and take my old one in trade which gives me some amount of credit toward the new diamond. I don't know what area you are in but if you're in a metropolitan market that has a centralized diamond district (e.g., NY, Chicago) you can take your stone and certificate in hand and go from place to place.

To the point that Kenny made, rules are indeed made to be broken. I found that showing up in person gives you more results that just calling on the phone and asking if they'll take a trade. Some places told me "no" over the phone but when I showed up in their store they were willing to work with me. Just one little nugget of windom that I've gained in this proces...

And Neil is right, at the "right price" someone will work with you on a trade. That is one other thing that you need to know about this process: You will not get the best deal in town by trading in this way. I anticipate that I'm going to end up spending probably 20-30% MORE to get the ultimate stone that I want rather than having gone with a vendor that would allow me to trade up in the first place. (Long story... will not bore you with the details... )

I obviously have no idea what you're working with here on the trade, but if it's not necessary to trade it in maybe you could keep the original stone and just get a whole new one? In that case, definitely consider the PS vendors that are discussed on these forums.

Hope some of this is useful to you!

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I''d try the vendor who sold you the rock, they may want your business again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results