shape
carat
color
clarity

Tough Decision - VS1 vs VS2 - Please help!

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I have been doing a lot of research on here over the past couple of months. So first and foremost - I would like to thank everyone for their wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it.

I am about to pull the trigger on an Engagement Ring for my girlfriend. I have the setting picked out, and have narrowed my diamond choices down to two. One is VS1, the other VS2. All other GIA spec's are pretty much the same. What I am concerned in, is being 'eye clean'. From what I understand, being VS1 or VS2 does not necessarily mean eye clean.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here are smarter than me, I would appreciate it if you could review the two GIA reports and let me know your thoughts (GIA link is right under the diamond)

Thank you!!
Dave

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-11-Carat-G-color-GIA-certified/D-3H92P9

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-11-Carat-G-color-GIA-certified/D-3P0SW1

Setting
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-r...edral-engagement-ring-in-18kt-white-gold/6286

dneal12

Rough_Rock
VS1 and VS2 will always be eye clean. It is SI1 and SI2 that may or may not be eye clean but some inclusions will be visible at 10x.

That being said, I vote neither of these diamonds, I think you can do better with cut.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
dneal12|1422594285|3824259 said:
VS1 and VS2 will always be eye clean. It is SI1 and SI2 that may or may not be eye clean but some inclusions will be visible at 10x.

That being said, I vote neither of these diamonds, I think you can do better with cut.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Can you elaborate what you think is lacking with the cut?

dneal12

Rough_Rock
On the first diamond, the crown angle is a bit too steep and you are able to see it since the arrows are white.

With the second diamond, both the crown and pavilion could both stand to be smaller and you can see the arrows are a bit distorted as a result.

For that budget, you can get a better cut. Even if you find a diamond on a different site, RItini would be able to source and you could buy through them.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
dneal12|1422595844|3824272 said:
On the first diamond, the crown angle is a bit too steep and you are able to see it since the arrows are white.

With the second diamond, both the crown and pavilion could both stand to be smaller and you can see the arrows are a bit distorted as a result.

For that budget, you can get a better cut. Even if you find a diamond on a different site, RItini would be able to source and you could buy through them.

Appreciate the clarification.I tried using the HCA tool here as a guide. It said the first one was 2.0 with all Very Good and the second was 2.3 (also very good), with a recommendation to buy at the right price on both. Is there another tool or frame of reference that you can recommend I use?

Thanks

dneal12

Rough_Rock
HCA is a good guideline. But I would eliminate most if not all over 2.0. Go for Excellent meaning HCA<2.0 and then look at those on a case by case basis. After you find some of those, ask the vendor if the diamond is eyeclean, tint, or any other notes they may have that is not on the GIA cert. And if the vendor's notes are good, see if they have images (actual diamond, Idealscope, ASET) then ask PS for their opinion .

dneal12

Rough_Rock
I suspect that the ASET won't be the best on that JA diamond since you can see one of the arrows is missing on the actual image. But the HCA does show that it could have potential.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
As long as the diamond doesn't have a brown tint (the vendor will be able to tell you that, Joshua at Enchanted Diamonds is really helpful and responsive in the chat window), I don't think you should be concerned, then again I don't mind a little warmth. To me cut and clarity is more important to me than color. Cut is king, and this one has a really great cut.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
The number one thing my girlfriend (ahem...hopefully future fiancee :) ) wants is the ring to 'sparkle' and 'have fire'

dneal12

Rough_Rock
That one will have plenty of sparkle. The color won't effect the sparkle or fire. That is what cut is all about. You can ask the vendor what he thinks about the fire of this diamond. But the sparkle will be spot on.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Even if you find a diamond on a different site, RItini would be able to source and you could buy through them.

How do they do that? I do like the functionality Ritani adds with free in store checks, cleanings, etc.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Most places offer store checks a free cleaning. I know enchanted will. I'm getting mine from Eternity by Yoni, and Yoni has been excellent so far (can't speak to the ring since I haven't seen it, but he has been super helpful). And most places will be able to source the diamond as they share most of the same suppliers. Just let Ritini know the GIA cert number and they will let you know if they can find it. Idk if Ritini price matches but I know EBY and ED both will.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
dneal12|1422604480|3824324 said:
Most places offer store checks a free cleaning. I know enchanted will. I'm getting mine from Eternity by Yoni, and Yoni has been excellent so far (can't speak to the ring since I haven't seen it, but he has been super helpful). And most places will be able to source the diamond as they share most of the same suppliers. Just let Ritini know the GIA cert number and they will let you know if they can find it. Idk if Ritini price matches but I know EBY and ED both will.

Thank you. Would you mind giving feedback on the diamond I am looking at below? I really do appreciate your help, if it wasn't for you I would have purchased an inferior diamond at an inflated price.

It is GIA certified
1.09ct
G
VS2 (3 twinning wisps)
Cut - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
60.2% depth
58% table
34 degree crown
40.6 degree pavilion

From what I gather the VS2 with 3 twinning wisps should not affect the performance of the diamond or it being 'eye-clean'. HCA came out at 0.7 with excellent light return, fire scintillation, and spread.

Should I be concerned with the HCA score lower than one? With some research on PS I did see some call-outs on that.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That last diamond looks great from the information there. Can you get an idealscope image.

I would never pay for VS1 in a round brilliant. You can get SUPER DUPER clean VS2's in rounds and there is no reason to spend more for VS1 with a round brilliant.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1422860338|3825841 said:
That last diamond looks great from the information there. Can you get an idealscope image.

I would never pay for VS1 in a round brilliant. You can get SUPER DUPER clean VS2's in rounds and there is no reason to spend more for VS1 with a round brilliant.

Thanks! I have requested an idealscope image (requested about 2 hours ago), but have yet to receive it...

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Yep, the info looks like it has potential. I don't think you should be worried about the HCA being less than 1. HCA is a good guide, but once you get under 2, it is personal preference and at that point you need images to see whether it is a keeper or should be eliminated. At this point, just sit tight and wait for the IS to come back.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dveeg|1422601054|3824320 said:
Even if you find a diamond on a different site, RItini would be able to source and you could buy through them.

How do they do that? I do like the functionality Ritani adds with free in store checks, cleanings, etc.

FYI, some random thoughts.
I recently purchased a Ritani setting through my local jeweler for a super-ideal I bought online and had previously set. The local dealer was happy to offer a discount for the setting, almost $400 off internet price - where I had gotten the best price they could offer. It was sent to Ritani to be set. Ritani mangled the prongs on the old setting [which shocked me because when I had a diamond reset at JA the old setting came back looking new] .

In the new Ritani setting the arrows were slightly off, with one under a prong, and the stone was slightly off center.
I am not putting down Ritani, I love my setting ...just saying I expected perfection from them.
As far as checking prongs and cleaning, my local jeweler asks if he can do that for me every time I go into his store to browse.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an additional comment about Ritani. The rhodium plating over the gold is so thin that it wore off most of the ring already so the metal looks grey - and I only wear the ring occasionally [and it is less than a year old]. I know I can take it to be re-plated, but it should have been done better in the first place.
I think these are things to think about when considering Ritani.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I am now between two diamonds, I am waiting for the idealscope report on each. I'm curious to others thoughts based on below:

Diamond 1
1.09ct
G
VS2
ex, ex, ex
0.7 HCA score (picture attached)
GIA Report https://p0.a-ritani.com/uploads/diamonds/certificate/pdf/2676981/D-922FNN.pdf
GIA report shows several twinning wisps

Diamond 2
1.10ct
G
VS1
ex, ex, ex
1.1 HCA score (picture attached)
GIA Report: https://p0.a-ritani.com/uploads/diamonds/certificate/pdf/2124701/D-3Q9FJ8.pdf
GIA report looks very clean

d2_0.png
d1_0.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results