shape
carat
color
clarity

Total Depth < 60%

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

00dmn

Rough_Rock
I have a question regarding total depth. Multiple people have told me that having a total depth under 60% will not yield as high performing a diamond. However, when you put the numbers into the HCA, you can still get 4 Excellents and a total score <1 going all the way down to 58%. So my question is, what is the real effect of having a shallower diamond and will all diamonds in the 58-59% range be poor performers?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Total depth is the sum of the crown, girdle and pavilion measurements. It’s useful for identifying the individual stone but it doesn’t tell you much about the optics. Within a particular depth there can be both excellent and dreadful stones.

The 60% number is provided as a thumbnail guide because it appears on most grading reports where the crown and pavilion measurements usually don’t.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you getting the numbers to put in?

The hca will accept some impractical combos and give them good scores.
Its not a research and develpment tool it doesnt check enough stuff it is a fast diamond rejection tool that tells you if the crown and pavilion angles work together.

00dmn

Rough_Rock
The numbers were not from a real stone. I was just playing around with lots of different combinations. That could be the problem. So are there any possible proportion combinations for a stone with a 58-59% total depth to be a very good performing stone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2005 9:52:13 AM
Author: 00dmn

So are there any possible proportion combinations for a stone with a 58-59% total depth to be a very good performing stone?
Yes, you just found them ;-)

If you asked about 55% depth I''d start wondering, not those.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results