shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn between 2 designs. BGD or MM. Insights and advice pls

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I have asked a few questions here now and have done further research following as a response to the help that I have gotten. Thanks !

Preamble: Buyer from Aus (so will be making purchase based on pics). Looking for e-ring for me SO.
Finger size 4. Looking for round stone around 1.4 - 1.6.

My focus now is to decide on the e-ring design first then look for the stone.
The 2 that I really like is the BGD Tiffany tapered half round and Mark Morrell's petite sunburst.

Any advice or insight that could help me pick between the 2?
I like half rounds and the taper towards the diamond.
I like something simple and dainty

Also, the claws for Mark Morrell's setting looks like it could be chunkier than BGD's from picture comparisons. Is that correct?

Any help is much appreciated!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Torn between 2 designs. BGD or MM. Insights and advice p

I think MWM's prongs will be chunkier. I like them both.

What does you lady want? What has she said she wants?

fixbones

Rough_Rock

Gypsy: Did not ask her directly or showed it to her but from conversations. She likes it simple. Hinted that she would not like Tiffany's shank as they are a tad chunky. The knife edge... I personally dislike it and I am sure she would agree.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Petite Sunburst:

petite_sunburst_collage.jpg

BGD Tiffany-style half round:

5478w18-17.jpg

The two are very similar! I think the MM is going to be a bit more fluid overall than the BGD. But... the BGD will have more delicate prongs, and it will likely cost less than the MM. If the money is no object, I think I'd go for the handcrafted MM ring (I think you'll have to allow extra time to have it made, unless GOG happens to have one in stock in a size that will work for you). Otherwise, go for the BGD and don't give it a second thought!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd go for the BGD. The MWM's are usually more robust. 8)

fixbones

Rough_Rock

I agree that the MM ring is more fluid and a little easier on the eye. We are splitting hair here obviously as both are fine looking pieces!

Would the size of the prong affect the amount of light entering the Diamond and therefore the brilliance of the Diamond?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

fixbones|1408334213|3734558 said:
I agree that the MM ring is more fluid and a little easier on the eye. We are splitting hair here obviously as both are fine looking pieces!

Would the size of the prong affect the amount of light entering the Diamond and therefore the brilliance of the Diamond?

No. The prongs will not affect the performance of the stone in an ideal round.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I vote for the MM =)

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

I love both settings so I wouldn't seek to pursuade you either way. The prongs on the MM are daintier in real life than they appear in pictures. They do create a certain shape around the diamond which is personal taste and one that I love.

The band on the BGD ring has been described as very thin. I think it is better to see the setting on a hand to judge whether it is to your taste or not:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-sparkler.158232/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-sparkler.158232/[/URL]

The curve on the tapered MM is nothing short of sensuous. The gradual rounding of the band towards the diamond is so seemless - it reminds me of an Escher painting! The smooth round of this ring also makes it very comfortable to put on and take off.

fixbones

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the link.
I agree the BGD ring has a fairly delicate shank. I am looking for a stone around 1.5 carat which might seem disproportionately large compared to the shank... any opinions?

Anybody could direct me to pictures of MM's petite sunburst on a finger..... can't seem to find any.

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock

fixbones|1408415544|3735220 said:
Thanks for the link.
I agree the BGD ring has a fairly delicate shank. I am looking for a stone around 1.5 carat which might seem disproportionately large compared to the shank... any opinions?

Anybody could direct me to pictures of MM's petite sunburst on a finger..... can't seem to find any.

As an owner of a solitaire six prong myself, I prefer the MM . Its prongs create a rounded shape and makes the diamond look larger (disclaimer I have only seen photos of it, never in real life). OP, go to the search box on top right hand side of this page and type in Mark Morrel, you'll find lots of photos.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fixbones|1408415544|3735220 said:
Thanks for the link.

No, the shank can be under 2mm with a 5 carat diamond in a solitaire setting. So neither ring would be too thin for a 1.5 ct stone.

We have seen far more petite torchieres here than the sunburst. I would really recommend the petite torchiere if you are considering MM because it is a more unique setting and very beautiful while still being a simple solitaire. I would hands down choose the PT over the sunburst. I think MM's workmanship is going to be superior to the BG ring, but still the style of the sunburst is just not unique enough for me to want to pursue it.

There are two petite torchiere videos on Good Old Gold's site. The one with the .6 stone has the little diamonds in the normal place. I do not like where they moved the diamonds on the 2 ct ring, but they did make nice delicate prong tips. As you can see, these are gorgeous rings! If you work with GOG for your diamond, they can take care of sending the stone to MM and getting it back to send to you. They are authorized vendors for MM.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/Settingvideos/Tacori_Settings/Mark_Morrell/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you want a Blue stone, you can work with BGD. I've seen quite a few rings from BGD that have MWM settings. They have a good working relationship with BGD, and that way you get the stone you want and the setting you want.

I TOTALLY agree with DS that I don't think the Sunburst is unique enough to warrant the MWM upcharge. I would absolutely get the Petite Torchiere. It's a much lovelier and more unique setting. And get the version with the little diamonds in the head. When you wear a ring you see it in profile most of the time, so stones in the head are a lovely touch for the wearer's enjoyment.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have a different piece of insight. If you want the stone set higher go with BGD. I found that MM was not as amenable to those types of changes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh yes, you can buy the diamond anywhere if you go with Mark Morrell as long as the vendor will send the diamond to him. I don't believe he allows the stones sent by the customer (not to mention they insure it for you during shipping).

Please go with the Petite Torchiere. It is such a gorgeous setting! Just request that the prong tips be as delicate as possible. And I will just add that I think Mark Morrell sets diamonds the right height. You don't want a stone set too high because it will be more likely to get whacked and possibly chipped or loosened from the setting. I would also have him make the wedding band once you are ready for that. He makes a lovely diamond band that will be as fluid and lovely as the e-ring!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the BGD - I know a lot of people seem to love the MM, and it's a pretty setting, but I'm just not crazy about the prongs, too bulky. I guess you can ask for them to be thinned out as much as possible - but it seems like the somewhat distinctive prongs are a part of the overall design of the ring and meant to be a bit prominent. JMO, I'm not as knowledgable as others here or have as much experience with settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results