shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn and Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BluePea

Rough_Rock
What should I do? I have been so torn for the past two days because we got a diamond that came with a GIA report, and then after getting it appraised and learning about its crown and pavilion angles it doesn''t look that great anymore, but still I would feel bad about sending it back. Anyway, it''s not too late, because we don''t have a setting yet.

Here are two alternatives:

1.10 G VS1
Depth % 60.2
Table% 55
Crown angle 33.9
Pavilion angle 40.5
Girdle Th-M
Dimensions: 6.74 - 6.71

1.30 I VVS2
Depth% 60.4
Table% 56
Crown angle 34.5
Pavilion angle 40.6
Girdle Th-M
Dimensions 7.12 - 7.07

or keep the one that we have now:

.94 G IF
Depth% 60.2
Table% 57
Crown angle 34.1
Pavilion angle 41.2
Girdle Th-Slightly Thk
Dimensions 6.37 - 6.41

What do you think? I don''t know if I should care about size - would I be able to see the difference?
And does anybody have a VS1 with visible inclusions?
Would I be able to see the difference between the I and the G? I can''t see any yellow in the G that I have now, just maybe it gets a little grayish in certain light conditions, but then I am not sure whether it''s because the color or because of its cut.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
A G will look a little whiter than an I . I wouldn''t care at all about crown angles if I loved how the diamond looks. I think people put too much stock in all these specs and performance tests. They are helpful but If I really love a diamond, I will only worry about the color, clarity and carat weight, the end. If the measurements bother you that much, you should return the diamond without feeling guilty about it.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi BluePea,

I ran all three stones throught the HCA.

the 1.10 G VS1 scored Ex, Ex, Ex, Ex, and a 0.3!
26.gif

the 1.20 I VVS2 scored Ex, Ex, Ex, VG for spread, and a 0.6
36.gif

your current stone, the .94 G IF scored VG, VG, VG, Ex for spread, and a 2.9
7.gif

I would definitely do a trade-in. Both of the stones you''re considering seem to be much better performers than your current one.

Nobody can tell you if you should care about size. Only you can decide that. Yes, you should be able to tell the difference with either stone. Take a look at the last postings on Show Me the Ring, p.34. Mara''s upgrade got her another 0.50mm in diameter and the increase in size is noticeable. Your increase would be either .33mm or .70mm.

Whether it''s a VVS or a VS, if it''s a GIA or AGS graded stone, none of the inclusions should be visible to the naked eye.

If it''s a really well cut stone, the color shouldn''t be too evident in around a 1ct size, face up, in a setting. You should look at them both and decide for yourself about the color. Some people are more color sensitive than others.

On paper you would do well to own either of the two replacements you have decribed. Is there any way you can look at all three stones together, side by side? In all different light environments? If you can, then you should trust your eyes.

It sounds as though your doubts about your stone are pretty serious. My experience with doubts about a stone has been that they don''t go away, they just grow with time. You don''t want to spend the next several years looking at every other diamond you come across and wondering if it''s a better stone than yours.

IMHO I would go for the trade-in. Don''t feel bad. This should be a really happy time in your life. With the right stone it can be. With the wrong stone it might not be.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Cheers,
LizzyD

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 10
6.gif
2:37 PM
Author: Sunni79
A G will look a little whiter than an I . I wouldn''t care at all about crown angles if I loved how the diamond looks. I think people put too much stock in all these specs and performance tests. They are helpful but If I really love a diamond, I will only worry about the color, clarity and carat weight, the end. If the measurements bother you that much, you should return the diamond without feeling guilty about it.

Sunni....

THANK YOU so much for posting this!!! I looked and saw LOTS of beautiful stones that fell exactly in the color, clarity and carat weight I wanted yesterday when I was in the LAJD. After reading all the reviews and and seeing what I "should" know about my diamond, I was wondering how I''d ever figure this all out. While I believe all the information on this board is insightful and useful, I kinda felt inundated...thanks for putting some kind of normalcy to it all!
36.gif

BluePea

Rough_Rock
Thank you, LizzyD! Now I feel better about returning the stone, even though I love the symbolism of an IF diamond. Thinking about it, with a budget of $8,000, or maybe any budget after all, I can''t find a "perfect" diamond. The only perfect thing is our love
30.gif
, and I am so excited to get engaged soon!

I also felt bad about wanting to return the diamond because we had it for two weeks before I voiced any concern to my bf. When I first saw it, I was so happy, and I just chose to ignore the fact that the table looks a little dark when I tilt it. I wanted to believe that I had the best diamond in the world, and it took me a while to accept that it may not be.

Also thinking about my replacement some more, I realized that I don''t want an I stone, even though it would buy me a larger size. 1.3 ct is not that huge to make it worth sacrificing two color grades. I am looking at more Gs and possibly Fs.

A question for the experts: when I look at grade reports for VS1/VS2 diamonds online, some don''t seem to show any inclusions - I am sure this is because of the poor scanning job, but does that mean that they have fewer inclusions? Does the number of inclusions translate into the clarity grade, or is the grade based only on the magnification at which the inclusions become visible? Also, are certain inclusions worse than others?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 12:33:46 AM
Author: BluePea
A question for the experts: when I look at grade reports for VS1/VS2 diamonds online, some don''t seem to show any inclusions - I am sure this is because of the poor scanning job, but does that mean that they have fewer inclusions? Does the number of inclusions translate into the clarity grade, or is the grade based only on the magnification at which the inclusions become visible? Also, are certain inclusions worse than others?

I''m not an expert by any means, but I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the reports online. Then I remembered that when I saw the actual reports at the Jewelry District yesterday, all the inclusions were in light red ink...the one color which doesn''t scan/copy well...I''m guessing this is why we''re not seeing the inclusions on the online report copies....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2005 12:33:46 AM
Author: BluePea

A question for the experts: when I look at grade reports for VS1/VS2 diamonds online, some don't seem to show any inclusions - I am sure this is because of the poor scanning job, but does that mean that they have fewer inclusions?
VS1 probably has a speck somewhere on the cert that just didn't get scanned in. It may be possible that the grades were assigned based on inclusions that are not shown on the plot, but if this is the case there would be some comment on the cert.

For example, if the only inclusion is a faint cloud that would not be plotted but rather indicated by a comment. This would not be the only case.

Extrenal characteristics (green on the plot) esape the scan pretty often.

Anyway, VS1 and VS2 are darn safe. I would definitely look among SI1-s for the "ideal" 1.3 carat G color H&A "bargain". There the look of the plot would count. Among VS - not quite.

Just my 0.2, of course
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results