shape
carat
color
clarity

TOO MUCH? Diamond studs for 1yr anni. w/ girlfriend

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
Spending about 1200 on diamond studs 1k for diamonds, 150 for settings from Ritani....60tcw round

Do you guys think I'm spending too much for a 1 year anniversary w/ my girlfriend?

My friends call me crazy and that its only 1 year...and I should be spending half that price...?

I know its alot of money, and of course I can get the same size diamond studs for half that price...but I feel like if I'm going to buy something I buy it as if I'm going to wear it myself...like why would I go half ass? I guess I'm having a fighting battle within my head...and this gift is also for beginning of December, and Christmas is at the end of the month lol, so thats why...

I need some advice/reassurance...what do you guys think?

-Panda

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
I would not buy diamonds unless you intend to propose to her in the next two years. You're setting yourself up for those types of expectations.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent that amount on my then-GF's first birthday when we were together... And ahem, that was like 8 weeks after we met.

I don't think that's unreasonable for a full year!

Hell, I will be MARRIED before we are even together a year. And I gave her an e-ring at like 4 months (a $16K gift)...

SO, yeah, perhaps I shouldn't advise people, LOL!

:lol: :lol:

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
starrylight|1412722363|3763920 said:
I would not buy diamonds unless you intend to propose to her in the next two years. You're setting yourself up for those types of expectations.

Damn, really? I mean I ain't going to buy cubic zirconium LOL...so you're saying skip the jewlery?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not really something we can comment on.

My husband proposed two months after we started dating. For us... it wouldn't have been odd because we had been living together for 6 months by the time our year anniversary rolled around.

But I've known several couples where yes, it would have been too much.

So it really depends on your relationship.

Can you tell us about your relationship? Have you guys discussed marriage, future, etc. At all?

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
HappyNewLife|1412722453|3763922 said:
I spent that amount on my then-GF's first birthday when we were together... And ahem, that was like 8 weeks after we met.

I don't think that's unreasonable for a full year!

Hell, I will be MARRIED before we are even together a year. And I gave her an e-ring at like 4 months (a $16K gift)...

SO, yeah, perhaps I shouldn't advise people, LOL!

:lol: :lol:

Well you're comment makes my 1200 feel a whole lot better lol...so you think thats not too much? I mean I feel like if I cheap out then I rather not get her diamond earrings then...cause any lower in quality I feel like I'll be wasting my money....

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1412722600|3763926 said:
It's not really something we can comment on.

My husband proposed two months after we started dating. For us... it wouldn't have been odd because we had been living together for 6 months by the time our year anniversary rolled around.

But I've known several couples where yes, it would have been too much.

So it really depends on your relationship.

Can you tell us about your relationship? Have you guys discussed marriage, future, etc. At all?

Our relationship, we both know we're the one for each other and that's it. Marriage not at the time, I'm still finishing up school and getting career in order, to get the bank roll flowing ;-)...

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you can afford it, go for it. I mean, you know your relationship best. To me, a year is a long time :)

Clearly, LOL

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you haven't already been talking marriage and engagement, then... no. I wouldn't buy diamonds. Here are some alternatives.

Does she like rose gold??

Any of these would be a nice choice: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/italian-rose-gold-jewelry-collection?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=Rose+Gold+Collection&utm_campaign=Italian+Rose+Gold+Collection

Alternately, how about a nice handbag?
Something like these might be a good choice:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tory-burch-lysa-hobo/3768155?origin=category
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tory-burch-reva-clutch/3705672?origin=category
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tory-burch-thea-leather-hobo/3764483?origin=category

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
I would suggest jewelry, but not diamonds. Partially because of the amount (she might feel awkward about not getting you a large enough gift) and partially because of the timeline and implication of diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandabear90|1412722769|3763930 said:
jeez, you all getting married the next day? LOL

We got married 9 years later. I was still in school when we met and got engaged. But we moved in after 6 months and were very serious from the get go.

Each relationship is different. What's right for you, is right for you. Doesn't matter what your friends say. They aren't in your relationship.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That said. If you are in school. I think 1000 is too much for ANY present. And is probably not a responsible use of money. Especially if you have any student loans. If you have any student loans at all... then I think even 500 is too much. You can get her a nice present for 300 or less.

We're in our late 30's and at my last birthday I limited my present to $300. And we have two jobs and no kids. And for our anniversary (6 year wedding anniversary) we just went to a show and dinner.... no presents.

And I can guarantee you that I would have had a cow if my husband had spent 1000 on a dating anniversary present while he was in school.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would've been uneasy accepting that expensive of a gift for 1 yr anniversary. Honestly, I don't even remember if we even exchanged gifts. But your relationship might be different. I'd say that if your friends and family are advising you against such an expensive gift, you should seriously consider it.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
starrylight|1412722363|3763920 said:

if it makes you happy ....it will certainly make her happy. Do it. .

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1412723359|3763936 said:

I so disagree. $1,000 is not a lot of money when your working... Once your married $1000 is a lot of money .Dating a year is a big thing. I got my tory burch for my 50th birthday from my friends and t e rose gold earrings are gorgous but for a 40 year old. Just my humble opinion.

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock

Don't you think a handbag is a weird gift for 1 year anni? lol

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
starrylight|1412723412|3763937 said:
I would suggest jewelry, but not diamonds. Partially because of the amount (she might feel awkward about not getting you a large enough gift) and partially because of the timeline and implication of diamonds.

She is the most down to earth, not materialistic person ever...so I know she would never have an atittude of "wanting more" or "expecting more"

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Pandabear90|1412724733|3763951 said:

She is the most down to earth, not materialistic person ever...so I know she would never have an atittude of "wanting more" or "expecting more"

.60 Total carat weight diamond studs are the perfect one year anniversary gift.....Oy vey Ladies......

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
okay guys lets try this, everyone sway to one opinion...LOL..this is so difficult -____-

I mean I want to get her this because I think its nice and well i like nice shit...LOL and since I don't have pierced ears...at least my gf can wear them LOL

But more importantly, she the one I want to be with so this isn't a gift to someone that I'm in question whether we will be together in the long run or not...otherwise I wouldn't of even made this post haha...

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1412724872|3763953 said:
Pandabear90|1412724733|3763951 said:

.60 Total carat weight diamond studs are the perfect one year anniversary gift.....Oy vey Ladies......

I feel as if anything besides jewlery for anniversary is a bit odd? If it helps I got her a tiffany's necklace which was like 250 for valentines day and at that point we only been dating for 3 months...

I guess I'm just more so generous...unless .50tcw is acceptable but dont you guys think that is too small?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandabear90|1412724658|3763950 said:

Don't you think a handbag is a weird gift for 1 year anni? lol

No. I don't. I think it's perfectly lovely. It's an accessory. So are earrings.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
heididdl|1412724630|3763949 said:
I so disagree. $1,000 is not a lot of money when your working... Once your married $1000 is a lot of money .Dating a year is a big thing. I got my tory burch for my 50th birthday from my friends and t e rose gold earrings are gorgous but for a 40 year old. Just my humble opinion.

He's not working. He's in school. 1000 is WAY too much.

There are other options more suited to her age-- I'm sure our younger members would be happy to comment. Maybe a Coach bag instead.

But for a man in school? 1000 is WAY too much money.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you plan on spending your future with this young lady, and you've already bought her Tiffany silver, maybe a basic Tiffany charm bracelet with the idea that you will add more as your relationship continues? I wouldn't jump to diamonds until you're engaged or close to it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandabear90|1412722074|3763916 said:
Spending about 1200 on diamond studs 1k for diamonds, 150 for settings from Ritani....60tcw round

Do you guys think I'm spending too much for a 1 year anniversary w/ my girlfriend?

what do you guys think?

-Panda
Spending $1200 is fine, but if you two ever break up then be sure to ask her to return the earrings.. :bigsmile:

Funny but true ... a friend of mine gifted his gf a pair of earrings then when they broke up he asked her to return the earrings, but she only returned one of the earring, told him she lost the other one... :lol:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband got me diamond earrings in similar size after a year of dating - we started dating in December and it was the following Xmas. I can say that we'd definitely not talked about marriage, but we were very happy & in love and he chose to go big. Granted we DID end up married!

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1412726148|3763966 said:

There are other options more suited to her age-- I'm sure our younger members would be happy to comment. Maybe a Coach bag instead.

I'm a personal banker at a bank as well as a student.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
only you know your budget . . . you stated you are in school. If you are paying for the e-rings w/ loan money they will cost you a lot more than the 1,200 in the long run.

I am too think save the diamonds for engagement. There will be -plenty- of time to get her the diamond studs as your relationship continues.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Pandabear90|1412729436|3763991 said:
Gypsy|1412726148|3763966 said:

I'm a personal banker at a bank as well as a student.

nananannananann see he has the funds DO IT......Give a birkin bag after the birth of your child . .60 diamond studs for one year dating anniversary to someone you care about is perfect Its personal, sexy and not pandora.. i want to select me own pocketbook and certainly not coach. no offense...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results