shape
carat
color
clarity

Time of year for best diamond inventory?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phishnurse

Rough_Rock
I just wondered what anyone thought about time of year in relation to "online" suppliers inventory. I''m trying to rationalize assuming the following: most rounds in the .8 to .9 carat are sold for engagement, most weddings seem to be summer, most engagement periods seem to be near 1 year which would put high demand on spring, summer inventories. This is my "arm chair" theory I just made up. Does anybody in the know have any input. Whould I have more selection in the fall or winter?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
From what I understand, the busiest time of year for jeweler is Thanksgiving through Valentine's Day. It would make sense that they stock up their inventory for this time, so I'd guess the best selection would be during the beginning month or two of that period.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Vendors do "stock up" in the Fall in anticipation of the Holiday buying season. Also, the cutting houses go thru a "shut down" during part of December and January.

Robin and Todd at Nice Ice explained the Winter Holiday:

"As far as availibility goes, most of the major diamond cutting houses were closed for Winter Holiday from December 15th through January 15th and thus there weren't any diamonds entering the market during this time so there is a bit of a shortage, but that situation is being resolved now as it is every year now that the diamond cutters are back to work... We were offered several very nice parcels of diamonds this week and have begun to replenish our inventory."

Here's a link to that thread to give you a timeframe reference:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rands-analysis-on%E2%80%93-diamond-pricing-its-effects-on-the-consumer.12313/

1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Phew! At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in terms of what is coming out of the pipelines... The DTC and other distribution channels have been systematically reducing the amount of rough being released and raising the price of rough at the same time... Many cutters are focusing on getting the highest yield out of the rough as opposed to cutting for beauty which makes it even more of a challenge to find really nice stones for our inventory. 0.80 - 0.99 is always a tough weight range to find diamonds in and it is only getting tougher. When is the best time to buy a diamond? When you find one that meets your parameters... Diamond prices are only going to go UP UP UP in the near future!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results