shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany style six prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JasonK

Rough_Rock
I''ve been shopping for engagement rings for my girlfriend. I know that I want to get a platinum solitaire setting. I''ve noticed there are many Tiffany style settings. They generally seem to be higher than the true Tiffany setting. I know that the prongs tend to be thicker and jut out more and a lot of people find that to be unaesthetically pleasing. But to go with a better replica (i.e., Superbcert, Niceice, Lazare Kaplan) I will have to pay about 3 times the price of a generic Tiffany. Is there enough of a difference to justify paying the higher price? Is there anyone out there happy with the generic Tiffany style?

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
Your post was about to drop off the page so I am bumping it with my 2 cents worth.

A large percentage of rings in most Jewelers are platinum Tiffany style so there must be huge numbers of girls wearing them already.

Why do some cost more? This is from SuperbCert's site:
"This magnificent setting is our own exclusive manufacture, and is completely hand made. The setting is currently available only in heavyweight 950 platinum. Additionally, these pure platinum settings are guaranteed to be free of any porosity (usually associated with the cheaper "platinum" settings.)"

How much worse quality are the cheaper one? No idea, try calling a vendor and asking. Please post what they say - I am interested now.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
The Superbcert one is just so beautiful and so close to the look of the original Tiffany setting, that I would ante up the extra cash if that is the style I liked. And that's saying a lot coming from me, since I am notoriously cheap and look for the best possible bargain. Which explains why I will in total now be spending 6K for the setting(s) (yet again) of my dreams, LOL. Hopefully, I can stop after this. Surely, the less expensive tiffany copies will be functional, but this one just has that special look.
10.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I checked around various websites. White Flash, SuperbCert, others all seem to be asking $400 for a platinum "Tiff" style set. Maybe the price difference between these sets and the 3X less generics is in the quality?? Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Check out this PS thread. This is a generic set purchase horror story.
2.gif

lenore80

Rough_Rock
I think the main problem with the tiffany generic settings is they sit high up, and snag on clothing. Personally, I find if the ring has a knife-edge it is very uncomfortable to wear.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a generic Tiffany-style 6 prong ring, and I have to say, I really like it. My mom has the true Tiffany, and I much prefer mine over hers. I think hers looks too bulbous or fat; I feel like mine is sleeker or something. But the real style is beautiful too, just not my stule.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
We gave serious consideration to an online knock-off when shopping for my engagement ring, and ended up with a generic. The true Tiffany setting looks kind of squat to me - it's set too low. Mine is set rather high, and the only thing it gets caught on is my hair, when I run my hand through it. And I'm left-handed, so I would assume the potential for snags would be fairly great. I do randomly bang it on stuff almost daily, but that's irrelevant to your query.
1.gif

Bottom line - the true Tiffany setting (or the "true" replicas) are nice, if you like a very low setting. The generics (we purchased ours from DCD) tend to be set a little higher. You can also specify to your jeweler/setter how high you want the diamond set - low, medium, or high. In our case, prior to having the diamond set, I asked my appraiser which look he preferred and he said high - he confirmed what I was already thinking.
1.gif
There are differences in the appearance between the "true" knock-offs and the generics, and there may very well be differences in the workmanship - whether that's noticeable or not or worth the extra $$ is up to you.
1.gif
Ours is also 900 PLAT, which I prefer to 950 PLAT.
1.gif

dryice

Rough_Rock
hi canadiangrrl, I have a couple of questions for you.

1) Could you please educate me on what the difference is between a "true Tiffany replica" and a "generic Tiffany"? I'm a bit confused. What would you call the one by Superbcert?

2) why do you prefer the 900 platinum over the 950?

3) why do you prefer your stone set high in the setting? I'm not very informed in this department and would like to learn more. Does setting high make the diamond look bigger, brighter, etc?

Thank you for your time!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
1) From the pictures I've seen, I would qualify both of the Tiffany settings offered by Superbcert and NiceIce as true replicas. They appear to be set low and the prongs appear to be more rounded, like the true Tiffany setting. The generics have less rounded prongs and a higher set, to my eyes. These are the visual differences as I see them. Oh, and my generic has a softer knife-edge than the true Tiffany setting I've seen in person at Tiffany - not quite as sharp-looking, and I liked that.
1.gif

2) Do an archive search on this topic. Do a google search. Generally speaking, 900 PLAT appears to retain its lustre longer than 950 PLAT. This can and will be debated for all eternity, however.
1.gif

3) To answer your question directly - to my eyes, yes.
1.gif
A high setting shows off the diamond a little more, in my estimation. It lifts it up and puts it out there. A lower setting has the diamond sitting more flush with the band. That's why I prefer a high setting to a low setting - I wanted the diamond to be lifted up showcased in all its beauty.
1.gif
Setting preferences are just that, however - preferences.
1.gif
You may find you prefer a lower setting - many do, for reasons having to with aesthetics and functionality. Many fear getting the setting caught repeatedly on clothing. As I mentioned previously, this has yet to happen to me even once, and I'm a lefty who's been wearing her ring daily since October 31st.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

p5r799

Rough_Rock
I think Tiffany settings are old fashioned and unpractical for an active women. There are new settings that are similar to a Tiffany setting but set lower and very pleasing to the eyes from all sides. The thinkness of the band can be easily thinned out by the vendor when you have it set.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The Tiffany setting is indeed old-fashioned - that's part of the allure.
1.gif
Gotta disagree with the "active woman" statement - I played tennis last night while wearing my e-ring and forgot that I even had it on.
1.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I prefer to think of it as "classic."
2.gif

I also do a lot with my ring on- tae bo/kick boxing, running, playing tennis, elliptical, and weight training, and have never found the setting to be a problem.

p5r799

Rough_Rock
I guess I'm the clumsy one.
tongue.gif

And for the allure, I would rather go for Renaissance setting.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
pq, are you saying that the platinum Superbcert Tiffany style ring is $400? Because I see that it's $900.

dryice

Rough_Rock
yes, the Superbcert ring is $900 (actually it starts at 900 and goes up with the stone size).

On another thread, someone mentioned that the Lazare setting is also a very close replica (ranks right up there with the Superbcert ring) of the original Tiffany 6-prong setting. It costs $738. But Lazare will not sell its setting alone. But there was a Derek from LA a few months back who said that he was able to find a local B&M jewelry store to convince Lazare to sell him one w/o the Lazare logo.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results