shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CushionMan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses to my previous post.

She hasn''t told me directly, but I can tell that the Tiffany Novo is my girlfriends favorite. Given that Tiffany''s charges 3x regular prices, I was hoping i might be able to find a similar ring somewhere else. Does anyone have any advice on this? Can jewelers make close copies of this? Can I buy just the ring (not the stone) from tiffany''s and get the stone somewhere else? How much does a setting like this cost?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are correct that you can get virtually the same ring made for at least 1/3 less. You can get equivalent quality, but you will not have the Tiffany name. You need to be sure whether she''s rather have a smaller Tiffany Novo, or the same look with a larger, but equal quality stone. You cannot buy a tiffany setting and set your own stone, so you have to copy the whole look.

Good Old Gold carries the square hearts and arrows stone which is the closest copy of the Novo. You can call and ask them if you don''t see the exact stones you want. There are several choices of similar settings. If you decide to go that route, we can help you find some.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with diamondseeker. Goodoldgold carries the square H&A which is closest to the novo. put it in a Ritani endless love setting and you got a ring that almost looks exact. One gal here even had a Tiffany sales rep. mistake her ritani for the novo.

teetee

Shiny_Rock
I am in the process of creating the Novo look with a sq. H&A cushion and Ritani setting. The stone should be here today and we will probably go order the setting tomorrow. I think we will be saving around $5K compared to a Tiffany ring that is similiar to the one we got. So I will let you know next month how it turns out. I can't wait to get the stone...just waiting for BF to get off work!

Are you planning to get your GF's input on the ring? Does she like the style of the Novo or does she like the Tiffany name? Some girls would rather have the brand name even if the diamond is smaller. I would advise that you find out what she prefers before buying anything. I have to admit that it is hard to not get carried away with wanting a "Tiffany" ring.

Edit - I checked my notes and the Tiffany ring that we had quoted was the same color but slightly larger size (.07ct) and slightly lower clarity.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If she really wants Tiffany then you might need to do that.
And a second hand ring might get you off to a bad staart.

Take an ASET scope with you.
There was an example of someone recently buying a round from Tiffany and the quality is variable.

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
I posted this in another forum but I thought I might bring it up here...

People on here often talk about replicating the Novo with a Square H&A and the Ritani endless love setting. I think this setting is beautiful but it really doesnt have the same exact look as the Novo. It depends on what your girlfriend wants. If it is close enough for her, then I think it is a perfect option. For me personally, I really liked the Novo setting and wasn''t as into the ritani but that is personal preference. It had nothing to do with being Tiffany or not - I just preferred the setting.

Also, as a branded stone, square h&As aren''t THAT inexpensive. And they face up smaller than the Novo but you could obviously get a bigger stone. And the ritani setting is pricey as well. I think for my fiance, if he was spending that much money anyway, he wanted to it be the original.
As for going the total custom route, anytime you are trying to copy something specific you have in mind, you run the risk of being frustated if it isnt the exact look you wanted.

Hope this helps!

gontama

Shiny_Rock
If Tiffany Novo is the one you want, I agree with Garry. Bring IS or ASET. Tiffany does have h&a and non-h&a diamonds, though they do not advertise h&a. It probably depends on the source of the diamonds and also when the diamonds were cut. I do not think they have difference prices for two diamonds with the same cut style, color, and clarity. You can use IS/ASET/H&A viewer to pick up the one with the best cut. Being a faily new cut style, Novo may not have a problem such as leakage or ditorted h&a pattern. I would still recommend to use these tools.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/6/2007 11:16:40 PM
Author: gontama
If Tiffany Novo is the one you want, I agree with Garry. Bring IS or ASET. Tiffany does have h&a and non-h&a diamonds, though they do not advertise h&a. It probably depends on the source of the diamonds and also when the diamonds were cut. I do not think they have difference prices for two diamonds with the same cut style, color, and clarity. You can use IS/ASET/H&A viewer to pick up the one with the best cut. Being a faily new cut style, Novo may not have a problem such as leakage or ditorted h&a pattern. I would still recommend to use these tools.
thx Gontama

I am not aware that T Novo shows H&A''s - does it? It shows some sort of 8 star pattern - so I guess it is possible, but I am skeptical.

Re Ideal-scope or ASET - for any non round stone i strongly recomend the ASET scope - the ideal-scope is good for screening and easier to interpret, but if you study this page http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp you will get the idea. For example the Ideal-scope of the "good" stone would probably look better than that of the "very good" stone.

teetee

Shiny_Rock
Sunnygirl is right, the sq. H&A faces up smaller than the Novo. If your GF has her heart set on the Novo, you should get her that. The Ritani setting has a totally different basket/head. And it is not going to look the same. Another difference is that the pave stones only go half way on the Tiffany ring and it goes almost all the way around on the Ritani.

For me personally, I had made up mind that I wanted to get the Ritani with a RB last year but then I happened to go into Tiffany and saw the Novo. It was the cushion cut that intrigued me. I like the basket on the Ritani better than the Novo so for me, a sq. H&A is able to create the look I wanted...a unique shaped center diamond that sparkled like a round in a delicate pave setting.

I still think you should ask her what she would prefer but if you want to keep it a surprise and you can afford it, get the Tiffany.

teetee

Shiny_Rock
Here are some photos for you to see the difference in settings. The top is the Tiffany Novo. The bottom is Ritani.

novo-vs-ritani-heads.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen them side by side in the store...with Neatfreaks ritani/ cushion combo at the last GTG and much prefer the Ritani setting. But I agree (ouch cat is kneading and drawing blood) that you need to find out if she wants an original or a lovely ring that is similar.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just have to say, I adore both of those!!! But if I went with the Ritani, I would ask that the band be 2mm. I felt that it looked too skimpy on me at a width of less than 2mm. I believe Butterfly had her e-ring setting made the same width as the matching wedding band, which I think is around 2mm.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results