shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Legacy or "Legacy Inspired"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OLV

Rough_Rock
I know there have been a lot of threads about purchasing from Tiffany. And I know there have been a lot of threads about the Tiffany legacy ring, and those rings of similar style. With that said, I recently learned that my gf likes the Tiffany legacy ring. I don''t know if that means she loves that particular ring or just the overall style of the ring. Either way, I''m having difficulty deciding upon purchasing the Tiffany ring or having it recreated from a local jeweler, and would very much appreciate other thoughts.

First off, I don''t care about the "Tiffany experience" or the brand recognition or any of that. In fact, I would say right now that if I did wind up going with the Tiffany ring, I wouldn''t want to tell anybody, and I would encourage my gf to keep it on the down low. I simply think the Tiffany Legacy ring is beautiful and elegant - whether the diamond is an E or an H - and this coming from a guy who prefers a simple, classic solitaire to anything else.

From shopping around, I can get a 1.21 ct Tiffany legacy, H color, VS1 for just under $17K, which is just a little bit above my budget. Alternatively, I can get a similar style replica with E color, slightly larger (even though I think the 1.21 ct Tiffany looks just about "right"), for probably around $12K ($3K to build the ring) if I go through a local custom build jeweler who uses the lost wax technique. Obviously saving $4-5K would be nice, but it wouldn''t bother me too much if I didn''t. The reason I am debating whether to go with the more expensive Tiffany ring is twofold: 1) even though I''m sure the custom builder would produce a quality product, just not sure if everything will flow as well as the Tiffany ring, and 2) I don''t necessarily want to create what will be perceived as a "Tiffany replica ring" (and I''m certainly not a designer or someone who wants to get involved in trying to design something better or of equal aesthetic quality as the Legacy ring).

Do my concerns have merit? If this guy says he can build it just as well as the Tiffany, should I believe him? (this guy did come highyly recommended from a trusted coworker). And is there anything wrong with trying to replicate the ring in the first place or should I be thinking about this as either go with the Tiffany or go with something of the same style that isn''t trying to be the Tiffany Legacy ring?

Again, any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Well, the first thing I would do would be to ask her best friend (if you can trust her to keep shhhhh!). Just say ''Look, I can afford a bigger stone if I get a custom made ring that has all the beautiful design elements of the Tiffany one that GF likes. Do you think she would prefer the smaller stone with the blue box?''

Trust me, she is talking to her best friends about this! They will know.
2.gif

Beyond that, it''s a matter of personal preference. If you look around this forum (do a search on the SMTR thread), you''ll see lots of EXCELLENT Legacy replicas. You can find one that''s particularly gorgeous and then use the same jeweler, who will no doubt still have the wax, etc.

There''s nothing inherently wrong with a replica of something which is, anyway, a replica of something to begin with!

Another option is to check on Signed Pieces.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Legacy is my all time favorite Tiffany setting. I have yet to see a replica that really captures the same feel of it or the intricate detail of the setting. most of the time it''s the underwire bars that get messed up. personally, I''d pay the premium for the real deal on that particular setting although it''s hard b/c you know you can get a bigger stone/better deal elsewhere, it still won''t be the legacy. So, i vote to buy the legacy and enjoy the experience even though you aren''t looking for it. I truly believe the tiffany legacy is a ring that is an heirloom in the making and will be treasured for years and years to come.

bettymac

Shiny_Rock
If the 1.21 Tiffany looks just about right as far as the size, I might opt to go for it. I''m sure many would have a different opinion, but I''ve found that having a replica made doesn''t always turn out exactly as you want. Maybe I just haven''t found the right jewler yet.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2007 2:45:54 PM
Author:OLV
I know there have been a lot of threads about purchasing from Tiffany. And I know there have been a lot of threads about the Tiffany legacy ring, and those rings of similar style. With that said, I recently learned that my gf likes the Tiffany legacy ring. I don''t know if that means she loves that particular ring or just the overall style of the ring. Either way, I''m having difficulty deciding upon purchasing the Tiffany ring or having it recreated from a local jeweler, and would very much appreciate other thoughts.

First..., find out if she likes the Legacy or just the look..., there are plenty of so-called "Legacy" replicates or copies.

First off, I don''t care about the ''Tiffany experience'' or the brand recognition or any of that. In fact, I would say right now that if I did wind up going with the Tiffany ring, I wouldn''t want to tell anybody, and I would encourage my gf to keep it on the down low. I simply think the Tiffany Legacy ring is beautiful and elegant - whether the diamond is an E or an H - and this coming from a guy who prefers a simple, classic solitaire to anything else.

From shopping around, I can get a 1.21 ct Tiffany legacy, H color, VS1 for just under $17K, which is just a little bit above my budget. Alternatively, I can get a similar style replica with E color, slightly larger (even though I think the 1.21 ct Tiffany looks just about ''right''), for probably around $12K ($3K to build the ring) if I go through a local custom build jeweler who uses the lost wax technique. Obviously saving $4-5K would be nice, but it wouldn''t bother me too much if I didn''t. The reason I am debating whether to go with the more expensive Tiffany ring is twofold: 1) even though I''m sure the custom builder would produce a quality product, just not sure if everything will flow as well as the Tiffany ring, and 2) I don''t necessarily want to create what will be perceived as a ''Tiffany replica ring'' (and I''m certainly not a designer or someone who wants to get involved in trying to design something better or of equal aesthetic quality as the Legacy ring).

You cant replicate the Legacy ring..., its patented cushion center Diamond has a look that distinguish itself from the rest (cushions)

Do my concerns have merit? If this guy says he can build it just as well as the Tiffany, should I believe him? (this guy did come highyly recommended from a trusted coworker). And is there anything wrong with trying to replicate the ring in the first place or should I be thinking about this as either go with the Tiffany or go with something of the same style that isn''t trying to be the Tiffany Legacy ring?

Again, any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.
You can''t replicate the Legacy if you dont have the Diamond.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 3:06:32 PM
Author: bettymac
If the 1.21 Tiffany looks just about right as far as the size, I might opt to go for it.
I absolutely agree with this. If you can afford the original Tiff with the size diamond you want, then I''d go for it.

I know you protested to the contrary (a lot of us do
5.gif
), but I really do think there is something special...magic...about having an original signed piece. A knock-off isn''t quite the same, regardless of it''s quality.

Speaking of which, I''d sure be careful about giving this job to a local jeweler, if you decide to go custom. I''d want to see his work...and be really impressed....first!!!!

JMO
widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote here for buying the Tiffany. And ditto everything MrsS said.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the Tiffany original. It''s not just the SETTING that''s unique ... it''s the actual CENTERSTONE. It''s a patented cut that is very special & recognizable as "the real thing" as opposed to *similar* asscher or cushion or square modified brilliant centerstones.

There''s also a one-time trade up policy ... so if your & her tastes ever change or you''re craving something bigger at 10 yrs, 20 yrs etc: you have an option. Chances are she''ll love this one so much it will be a family heirloom forever!
2.gif

OLV

Rough_Rock

Many thanks for the replies thus far. I don''t know if you could tell from my original post, but I am certainly leaning towards the Tiffany ring. If I could easily find out whether she would rather have a larger diamond in a "Legacy-inspired" setting or the original Tiffany ring, it wouldn''t be much of a dilema. The friend I spoke to who let me know about her appreciation for the Legacy style said that she didn''t think she would expect me to get her the actual Tiffany ring. But again, that doesn''t mean she really doesn''t want the Tiffany ring, either. My gf knows me well enough to suspect that armed with the little information I have, I would probably go and do something "stupid" like buying the ring from Tiffany, so I can''t discount that either.

And widget, certainly didn''t mean to imply that I don''t value having an "original". Quite the contrary. I just couldn''t care less about the Tiffany brand per se. And I guess I''m just not into the jewelery scene enough to know whether this ring design is considered an original Tiffany design or a more common design that Tiffany just so happens to have a pretty good interpretation of. In that vain, I guess I do care about perception form the standpoint of having an original or a perceived knock off, whether that perception is fair or not.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
If I was your soon-to-be FI, I''d rather a larger diamond than the Tiffany name. That coming from the proud owner of a Tiffany knife edge knock off from WF that is AMAZING.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not just the SETTING peeps ... it''s the STONE. You can''t get the Legacy cut centerstone anywhere else!

Comparisons to a round stone in a Tiffany inspired solitare setting are just not applicable in this case.

If it''s just a "halo" setting that she likes ... that''s one thing. If it''s the Legacy combo of setting and stone (Asscher Cushion combo -- only avail at Tiffany''s) then you should get the real thing absolutely.

The difference between a 1.2 ct Tiffany stone and say a 1.5 ct generic non Legacy cushion or asscher or whatever is gonna be NEGLIGABLE once it''s in the halo setting. The Halo has so much plumping power ...

In this PARTICULAR case the answer is screamingly clear to me ... but that''s jmho.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with deco. if you were asking Tiffany solitaire setting vs. larger Tiffany knock off solitare setting, I''d say go for the larger stone. I love the Tiffany solitaire and it is special in it''s own right, but not unique enough for me to pay the premium. The legacy on the other hand is special b/c of the cut of the stone as well as the diestruck/handmade setting that surrounds it. A 1.2 legacy and 1.5 generic won''t look that different in terms of the actually size/spread. If however, the halo thing is the only things she cares about, then you could definietly look at some other similar options, but they won''t be exactly the same...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with Deco and Mrs.S. The Legacy is NOT a replicate-able ring because the center stone is a TIFFANY proprietary cut. Yes you can recreate the setting, but you'll never get a center stone with the same look.

So if she loves the Legacy and you can afford it, GET IT!

This is a very different discussion than the usual "should I get my SOLITAIRE at Tiffany's or somewhere else?". Very different.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that the Legacy is impossible to duplicate because of the cut. However, there are plenty of GORGEOUS halo rings out there. If you can do a little more detective work, you might be able to find out if it''s just the setting style she likes or the whole shebang. If it''s just the setting she likes, I''d be tempted to say go for a larger regular cushion cut diamond. But if she likes the diamond itself, I''d say go for the Tiffany Legacy.

I''ve seen the Tiffany Legacy in person and tried it on and I don''t know how I feel about the cut of the center diamond. It''s interesting...but I don''t know if I would want it for my center stone. I think I''d rather get a regular cushion cut or a regular asscher cut in my ring. But that''s just me...so if you don''t mind letting her know about the ring, you could always just ask her which she prefers. If you do want to keep it a surprise, you could try to get her best friend to get it out of her sneakily.

But really, you probably can''t go wrong with a 1.2 ct Tiffany Legacy. In fact, there was a guy on here recently who had just bought a 1.2 ct Legacy and posted pics. Do a search and you can probably find the thread.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wholeheartedly agree with the majority of posts made here already. i am not one to care too much about brand names - i am concerned with value. if that translates to a brand name, great, if it means going another route, super. if you were talking about a solitaire tiffany vs. a non-tiff solitaire, i would probably say go with the non-tiff and get more for your money, or at least get comparable and save some of your money. but you are talking about the LEGACY! someone just posted that ring on SMTR and it is flawless. gorgeous. amazing. hands down, get the real deal. it''s the better value, in this case. even to a non-brandname-loyalist, a knockoff of the legacy will always just be a knockoff, no matter how well done it is.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the Tiff, and I think the size stone you want with it is absolutely PERfect. I''d love to see her eyes when she sees that baby inside that box...
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree..the Legacy is unique and I would not try to replicate it. My choice would be between the Legacy or a larger solitaire from another source. For $17,000, you can probably get something like a 1.7 ct. G VS2 round.

OLV

Rough_Rock
Update - decided to go with the Legacy - just picked it up from the store. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the damn thing!

Thanks for all the replies - certainly helped me in my decision.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well congratulations....please come back with pictures once you *get rid of it*
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 12:54:36 PM
Author: OLV
Update - decided to go with the Legacy - just picked it up from the store. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the damn thing!

Good choice! And congrats on the upcoming celebrations.
2.gif

clanalois

Rough_Rock
WOW, Congratulations!!!! You made a great decision, she's going to absolutely love her ring and all the perks that come along with it. I must say, however, the price tag is not too bad. :)

The Legacy is one of my favorite settings of all time, and it is one Tiffany cut and setting that is impossible and/or illegal to replicate (unlike their 6-prong classic, unfortunately). This exclusivity is very special; I know you don't really care much for the Tiffany name, but feel good that you cannot find this ring anywhere else but Tiffany.

My pics of my 1.77ct aquamarine Legacy:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-co-engagement-ring-celebration-band-legacy.68844/

Again, CONGRATULATIONS! I can't wait to see pics!

otherwiseengaged

Rough_Rock
I am in very much the same boat -- I recently bought a Legacy 1.22 ct, G, for my proposal which is going to take place next week (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-legacy-ring.68112/).

I was torn about whether to go Tiffany or not, but I have had the ring to look at for three weeks and every day I''m more sure I made the right choice.

Congratulations.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany inspired!! Save the dough.

By the stone you want and have the setting made. Several vendors on here have replicated it and I am sure it is way cheaper.

Use the cash for the wedding, or the honeymoon, or some diamond earrings!!
31.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 12:54:36 PM
Author: OLV

you could give it to me
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If that size is good, I too think you should not chase your tail. Just go in and get her what she wants. Simple and done. Otherwise, if it is not right, will the money saved be worth it? If you are not happy it is a hassle. I am NOT saying it is not better to have it in your pocket or to get a larger stone, but if you like that size, you know she loves the setting, and you CAN afford it, it seems like a slam dunk to me.

acegirlbda

Rough_Rock
I say go with Leon Mege to recreate it. I fell in love with the legacy as well (round version) and was extremely picky about who I picked to create the setting. I finally chose Leon and he did a way better job than tiffanys. We had bought the stone separately (1.85ct round vs2 G color) and in the end we paid exactly half of what we would have spent at tiffanys and got a better quality stone and better craftsmanship. Take a look at some of the diamond reports from the tiffany stones and you will see they are WAY overpriced for what you get. Take a look at Leon''s website www.artofplatinum.com My ring is pictured under "show me the ring" and the topic is "worth the wait, my new leon mege"...there is a picture of my leon mege ring next tot he tiffany ring on the 2nd page. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results