shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Legacy... Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Legal Eagle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I plan to propose to my girlfriend in the next few weeks. We''ve been together seven years and, thinking it''s maybe hard to find romance after all that time, I want to buy her the ring of her dreams. I know that she loves the Tiffany Legacy and I would like to try and get her one of these.

I''ve been looking on the Tiffany website and, out of all their styles, the Legacy is coming out as my favourite too. The only problem is that I have a lot of student debts and I''m not sure how much my money will be able to buy. My budget is roughly around $4,000-$6,000 at a very big stretch. Does anyone know what that might be able to afford? I''m thinking that because the centre stone is surrounded by smaller ones, I might be able to buy a smaller size and have it still look considerable?

Also, does anyone know how the Tiffany sales experience is? Do they offer any perks or advantages over other stores? I know about their lifetime guarantee, but is there anything else to justify their pricing?

ANY help is so welcome because this is quite daunting!!

gemnewbie

Rough_Rock
Hi Legal Eagle. That''s a great post for you to read. Let me also add my two cents, as I recently went through the same process :)

Forget Tiffany''s unless your SO would be more interested in having something with the Tiffany brand, as opposed to the quality and weight of the stone. For the same money, you will be able to buy a heavier, better quality stone and equally good Legacy replica setting.

In addition, to Excel, you should consider Good Old Gold. They have some excellent videos (including their new Consumer''s Guide to Cushion Diamonds) and some of the best policies around (including 30 day return, lifetime upgrade to any higher priced stone and lifetime buyback at a specified percentage of purchase price).

Also, when it comes to cushions, Engagement Rings Direct is my favorite. The owner, Mark, knows cushions extremely well and can create a great replica of the Tiffany Legacy setting. In addition, he is very patient and easy to deal with, has highly competitive pricing and will go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied.

Good luck with your search! My personal advice: First select the type of cushion you want (the GOG video is great for learning about this), then decide on your color tolenance (there are lots of threads on here about that subject) and then ask your vendor to find you the best eyeclean SI1 stone in your choice of cushion variety and color that your budget will permit.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I would often suggest looking into a cushion plus a Legacy replica because you can potentially get much more bang for the buck, I think it's important to note that the Legacy cut is proprietary, and is a really more of a mixed step cut cushion crossing the chasm between an asscher and a cushion. The look can't be exactly replicated, but can be attempted with a cushion or an Asscher.

So, if your GF LOVES the Legacy, do you know if it's the unique cut of the Legacy diamond, the setting, or the combination of the two that she swoons over?

If it's the diamond cut, well, I'm afraid you're on the hook for the real deal.

But, if it's just the setting, there are plenty of lovely "inspired" settings out there that might work, like the ERD and the Whiteflash Isabella.

gemnewbie

Rough_Rock
I''m interested in some feedback to Lauren''s response. Correct me if I''m wrong, but can''t any cut of a diamond be duplicated? Or is it true that no one else is permitted to cut a diamond to the measurements and angles of a Tiffany Legacy?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 3:17:44 PM
Author: gemnewbie
I''m interested in some feedback to Lauren''s response. Correct me if I''m wrong, but can''t any cut of a diamond be duplicated? Or is it true that no one else is permitted to cut a diamond to the measurements and angles of a Tiffany Legacy?
Gemnewbie, the Legacy is a proprietary cut, and while there may be plenty of styles of cushion out there, the step cut pav. with brilliant crown cut has been patented, and AFAIK, can not be replicated. Yet.

Here''s a thread from 2007 on the same discussion.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-legacy-or-legacy-inspired.68434/

In July of 2008, a .30 ct. Legacy was $5,150, with D VVS2 being $850 more.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/potential-cushion-cut-ring.89209/

This is said .30 ct. Legacy.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-tiffany-legacy-ring.95789/

legacy21.jpg

stitch

Shiny_Rock
If it is a trademark and pattened cut, then I don''t think other cutters are allowed to duplicate. It is that they cannot do it. It is the law that prevent them from doing so.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Legal, of course I wouldn''t suggest you go further into debt for this. However, it is probably every important to figure out if she loves the Tiffany name or not. If she''s just enamored with that sort of style and probably can''t really tell the difference between the Legacy stone shape and other similar shapes, then you can certainly save quite a bit of money by going elsewhere per some of the other replies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results