shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tbone343

Rough_Rock
I am hoping to start saving my money for a Tiffany ring:

1 ct diamond
platinum ring
princess cut
tiffany setting

I heard that all of Tiffany''s diamonds are of a high quality, so I imagine that any of them will do. Can anyone tell me how much I need to start saving for? This is phase one for me. Once I have enough, I will buy it and propose. hee hee.

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock
You might want to read this first - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-ring.5200/... or just do a search on "Tiffany". There's a lot of amusing threads on this subject. (Sorry, I haven't quite mastered links yet.)

My BF jokes with me about how he'll get his hands on the little blue box at Tiffany's and put a different ring it it. I said that's perfectly fine with me, I'm not going to be wearing the box.

If he starts saving now we might be up to 1.5 carats when you're up to the 1.
tongue.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think in the past there have been some rough estimates...but I think a good rule of thumb for a Tiffany 1c Lucida stone would be around $10k-14k depending on what sort of color/clarity you want. Tiffany does not go under an 'I' in color I believe..and VS2 in clarity. So obviously if you get something like a D VVS1 you will spend more than an I VS2 and similar.

There are other stones that rival the Lucida for beauty if not outshine it due to having better light return--though it is hard to gauge with fancy cut stones. I would start doing research while you are saving up...in the end you may realize that for almost 1/2 of what you'd spend at Tiffany you can get something comparable in quality online/offline and get a similar Lucida setting (e.g. Vatche).

Best of luck!

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
STOOOOOOOOP!

Put everything down....just put the wallet down!
Now that I have your attention
wavey.gif
I can get to the most important thing that everyone on this board will tell you. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Mara is right. Take a few weeks to check out posts, enter in searches, visit other websites that people direct you to, and allow yourself to fall in love with diamonds.

I too dragged my boyfriend into Tiffanys for a "quick" looksee, and we were there for 2 hours. Our saleslady showed us $12-14K diamonds under the scopes. $12-14K dollars! In a million years we could never afford those. But we were allured with the belief that they were perfect. She set my love for the hunt on fire, but it wasn't until I visited this site that my questions were answered, and I realized that this was like buying a car. I wanted to get the best stone for his money, and I would have fun test driving in the meantime.
twirl.gif
Take the stones out for a testdrive!

It seems everyday my favorite stone changes. I never thought I would be able to narrow it down. But now I have found myself hovering in the fancy cuts like Flanders/Spring/Asscher/ and the upcoming isee2 (Jonathan, you know I can't wait to see that). Look at all of those and educate yourself. I promise, if you include her, you will both have so much fun looking, and perhaps she will find something different, but similar to the princess.

I too started out as a princess lover. The saleslady said it was because "you want to be a princess." I wanted to vomit over the counter after that. I was kind of insulted. I think she realized that we were not exactly set on the stone, and we quickly fell in love with about every different combination they had. If you have a girl that knows what she wants, then you are blessed. But if you show her a few options, and she starts to get this glassy look in her eyes, then she caught it. The diamond bug. You'll be in for a bumpy (but fun) ride!

Hope this helps.

tbone343

Rough_Rock
All of you have been really helpful. I would love to take her out with me to look at rings, but that will somewhat spoil the surprise proposal I had in mine. But, I guess I may want to do some thinking about this. Thank you very much. You have some really good points and nice thoughts. Maybe I should propose to her with my checkbook, and tell her I will buy her whatever she wants... hahahaha
rolleyes.gif

msmanolo

Rough_Rock
If your gf likes princess cuts maybe you should look at an Elara diamond, they are similar to Tiffany's Lucida, have tons of sparkle and cost much less than Tiffany.

stewie

Rough_Rock
It's hilarious how everyone here always tries to talk other people out of buying Tiffany.

The fact is, like it or not, having "Tiffany & Co" stamped on your ring has value. It should be pretty apparent, given all of the posts here asking about it. Clearly, the brand is worth searching for, and is at the forefront of the industry.

I say save up for the Tiffany ring, and knock your girl's socks off. I did, and I can tell you that I am not regretting it. Sure, I paid a few thou more than I would have had I bought a rock with the same specs somewhere else, but it was worth it. You have to make that judgment call for yourself. There are lots of dealers on this board, so beware. You may not be getting unbiased advice when you are steered towards an online vendor.

IMO, there is a certain priceless satisfaction in reading these boards and seeing everyone asking about what the best Tiffany lookalike is, when I know that my girl is wearing the real thing. For something that she will be wearing for the rest of her life, I decided to splurge. I'm not saying you should overextend yourself to do it, but if you can afford it... go for it!

(btw, sounds to me like the ring you're thinking of would cost around $10K... as always, you can save a lot by buying just under 1 ct. and choosing the lowest color and clarity grades at Tiff's, which are still pretty damn fine.) You could save a lot by buying online, but in my experience, Tiffany isn't all that much more expensive than your average mall jeweller.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Stewie, I think most folks here would tell you the same thing I will: we don't care what someone buys.....we just want them to buy informed so they too have no regrets about their purchases. Many people come here after the fact---after a purchase---somewhere else (not necessarily Tiff's) and then lament that they wished they'd known about other options up front.

When I chime in on a Tiffany's topic, I NEVER try to dissuade anyone from buying at Tiff's...not up to me to determine what's important to them and what's "worth" paying for in their eyes. I DO try to make sure they know what they're paying for....the name.

If John Does feels that the Tiffany name, prestige, exclusivity, etc is worth paying the markup and that's what he wants, I think everyone here would offer heartfelt congratulations.

The only time I get concerned is when someone mistakenly thinks that the mark-up means the stone is of superior quality and they don't KNOW that they can get the same quality diamond elsewhere. I'm all about education, and I'd hate to see anyone blowing an extra $2-6K ONLY because they think they'll get a level of quality unobtainable anywhere else....which is simply untrue.

I'm sure this will surprise you, but not everyone is impressed with the Tiffany's name. To me, it's a just a name, like Smith or Jones or Brown. I wouldn't want to pay more for it. You feel differently, and you did pay for it, and I'm delighted for you. You were aware of all your options up front; you knew the name was highly important to you and you didn't settle for something less....and you have no regrets. To me, that's a successful purchase.

T-Bone: Read the above, and if you still want a Tiffany, then by all means, GO FOR IT! The goal of shopping is NO REGRETS!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2003 2:28:38 PM stewie wrote:

Clearly, the brand is worth searching for, and is at the forefront of the industry.

----------------

Could you explain exactly *how* Tiffany &Co. is at the forefront of the industry? Are they now cutting their own stones? Are they doing extensive research on diamonds & performance? Are they now designing & crafting their rings?

Tiffany & Co. is a retailer. Period.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
What Aljdewey said, and what Fire&Ice said. I have no problems with people buying Tiffany because they love the Tiffany name; I have sentimental attachments to certain brand names, too. My problem is when people think Tiffany is the "forefront of the industry" or carries a superior e-ring than anyone else. *That* is patently untrue. Tiffany may be the most *well-known* high-end jeweler, but their diamonds are not something incredibly special even if their history is.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
*zzzzzzzzzzz*

'advanced search'

'tiffany'

9.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
tbone, my first recommendation is to go read the diamond information section at http://www.goodoldgold.com.
read.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2003 5:23:32 PM Mara wrote:

*zzzzzzzzzzz*
----------------

What Mara, last week made you tired of rehashing controversial topics?
naughty.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2003 6
6.gif
1:28 PM Hest88 wrote:

----------------

[FONT="Comic]*zzzzzzzzzzz*[/FONT]
----------------

naughty.gif

----------------

Ha! I almost didn't respond to this thread. Sadly, the newly/soonly men will disappear (hopefully not - you guys mike,smag, & soonly- newly stick around!) & we will have a whole new batch to get them *their* best price/best provenance (if it is to be) diamond!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/18/2003 6
6.gif
1:28 PM Hest88 wrote:

----------------

*zzzzzzzzzzz*
----------------

naughty.gif

----------------
What made you think that?!
2.gif
We should have templates for these kinds of threads. ? Hee Hee.

monkey

Rough_Rock
hi, i would like to add my 2 cents to tbone343.
i have nothing bad to say about tiffany's. in fact i have many robbin blue boxes and many beautiful items in my jewelry box from tiffanys. i also looked at the stones at tiffany's and they are REALLY overpriced. I have no problem spending $$$ on something different and unique that you can only get there. in fact i have a beautiful platinum daisy necklace by paloma picasso with a 5 point diamond that cost $~1000, as well as a few elsa perretti pieces. Point being is, it is a piece of art and only available there. diamonds can be purchased elsewhere and set elswhere, and often are much more beautiful. while i was there i watched a couple buy a 0.4 carat diamond ring for ~$7000. . i felt so bad for them. . it was such a waste. I think, if you have all the $$$ in the world and don't want any hassle go to tiffany's most likely you will get an incredible ring. otherwise its worth the extra work to get the most for your hard earned money.
hope this helps.

monkey

Rough_Rock
hi, i would like to add my 2 cents to tbone343.
i have nothing bad to say about tiffany's. in fact i have many robbin blue boxes and many beautiful items in my jewelry box from tiffanys. i also looked at the stones at tiffany's and they are REALLY overpriced. I have no problem spending $$$ on something different and unique that you can only get there. in fact i have a beautiful platinum daisy necklace by paloma picasso with a 5 point diamond that cost $~1000, as well as a few elsa perretti pieces. Point being is, it is a piece of art and only available there. diamonds can be purchased elsewhere and set elswhere, and often are much more beautiful. while i was there i watched a couple buy a 0.4 carat diamond ring for ~$7000. . i felt so bad for them. . it was such a waste. I think, if you have all the $$$ in the world and don't want any hassle go to tiffany's most likely you will get an incredible ring. otherwise its worth the extra work to get the most for your hard earned money.
hope this helps.

stewie

Rough_Rock
How are they at the forefront? Well, it all has to do with design. Their designs are copied by everyone (in many cases poorly, I might add). The Lucida setting is a perfect example of that. I tried, but could not find a reasonable substitute for it.

Do you overpay for their "diamonds"? Yes, you do, based on current market values. But the market value of diamonds is all artificial anyway. It's controlled, it doesn't mean anything. Paying a bit extra for the design is worth it, IMO. Because at the end of the day, a diamond isn't really "worth" anything anyway. Unlike gold bullion, silver, or platinum, the diamond market does not operate freely. What you have to get around your head is that the extra that you pay is for the design, not for the rock.

I just let the dude know that, depending on what he wants and what his gf wants, buying from a certain store is not the sin that everyone here makes it out to be. It doesn't make him irresponsible or stupid.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/19/2003 9:24:16 AM stewie wrote:
It's hilarious how everyone here always tries to talk other people out of buying Tiffany. ........

I just let the dude know that, depending on what he wants and what his gf wants, buying from a certain store is not the sin that everyone here makes it out to be. It doesn't make him irresponsible or stupid.
----------------
I find it hilarious how people who purchase at Tiffany's try to suggest that people who offer other information are "anti-Tiffany". It's like the emperor's new clothes.....it's BAD to acknowledge or suggest that there is ANY other way than the ONE right way....the Tiffany's way. Give me a break.

One more time for the reading-challenged: No one said purchasing at Tiffany's is a sin. No one said it's irresponsible OR stupid. We just said "know what you're getting for what you're paying, and know what your options are."

But hey......if painting everyone here with the "anti-Tiffany bad guys" brush makes you feel better about your Tiffany's purchase, then don't let a little thing like being rational stand in the way.

smaggard

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2003 6:53:18 PM fire&ice wrote:

Ha! I almost didn't respond to this thread. Sadly, the newly/soonly men will disappear (hopefully not - you guys mike,smag, & soonly- newly stick around!) & we will have a whole new batch to get them *their* best price/best provenance (if it is to be) diamond!
----------------
[/quote]

Thanks Fire&Ice! I'm not going anywhere though
9.gif

I've been here for almost 2 years, you just didn't know it....I used to be a stalker but came out of the bushes hehehhe
10.gif

Actually I waited to start posting until I knew something, and I never asked many questions long ago because the search option works wonders! LOL

As for Tiffany's, if that's what you want go for it. As for nothing comparing, come on, Vatche's X-Prong looks just like Tiffany's to me (slight differences), but who knows. Rumors have even had Vatche designing it for Tiffany's if I recall correctly, but that was never confirmed I guess. But it makes you wonder if he didn't, wouldn't big Blue Box have their legal team all over that?

Last time we went to Tiffany's, we waited almost 30 minutes and couldn't get helped to see any rings, so much for getting the service you pay for I guess. But maybe they just had an off day, or everyone called in sick. For the engagement ring section in Tiffany's in NY City to have ONE SALESPERSON was just ridiculous...but oh well. One thing I can say is they invest much money in the white and colored lighting in the ceiling! My now fiancee was amazed when I pointed out their little lighting game hehehe
9.gif

stewie

Rough_Rock
whatever... I don't work for the company and I really couldn't care less if anyone buys anything from there or not. Just presenting another opinion... whenever anyone mentions anything about that store, people start responding with "educate yourself" and the same stuff about buying a diamond twice the size online... yadda yadda yadda. You would think that everyone here works for an online vendor.

No, the x-prong is simply not as nice (but that's a matter of taste, I suppose). And quite frankly I doubt that Vatche would let Tiffany steal their thunder if they did in fact design the setting. And somehow I doubt that Tiffany's legal team spends much time patrolling message boards.

T-bone should just make up his own mind, I don't know why anyone here would care what he does. So I'll just shut up.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Stewie, I couldnt agree with you more. I also purchased a Tiffany e-ring and did some research on this board. For me, the Tiffany 6 prong ring as a complete package looked 10X better than the so called "tiffany like" settings that I saw at other jewelers. I got exceptional service at the Tiffany store and was not pushed at all by the salesperson. He also spent a total of 3 weeks eductaing me about my other options during my 6 visits to the store. I had a short timeline to find an e-ring and could not be happier with my purchase. The PEACE OF MIND alone of walking out with a tiffany ring, to me is worth the markup. Any other store I would have questioned the honesty and quality of the stone I purchased, just because I didnt have the time to shop around to the extent I wanted to.
There is a reason why there are so many Tiffany copies out there. Its because the Tiffany e-ring is the style that alot of people are looking for. So why wouldnt you purchase the real deal instead of a copy if you are able to do so. This ring is something she will have for the rest of her life and for me, it was not worth compromising for a better priced COPY.

monkey

Rough_Rock
FYI many different designers design rings for tiffany's. in fact I looked at stones at a wholesaler whose team does the lucida setting for tiffany. also, my friends sister also was a setting designer for tiffany, but recently quit (too bad i could have had a wholesale setting)to work for her brother.
anyway, there isn't anything intrinsically special about their ring designs. but if you like one, and can't find something you like as much, or really want a ring from tiffany for the sake of tiffany, than go for it, there is nothing wrong with that.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/19/2003 9:57:58 AM stewie wrote:
whenever anyone mentions anything about that store, people start responding with "educate yourself" and the same stuff about buying a diamond twice the size online... yadda yadda yadda. You would think that everyone here works for an online vendor.

----------------
That's because most of the people who frequent PS are diamond geeks, not setting geeks. I don't think people are disagreeing with you as much as you may think. If what you want is a real Tiffany setting, you can only get it at Tiffany's and there's no reason to feel bad about going there. But this crowd is more into diamond quality, and there is nothing special about Tiffany diamonds--they buy from the same wholesalers everyone else does, and they are no pickier than other high-end vendors, online and off, who specialize in cut quality.

If you want Tiffany designs, go to Tiffany's. If you want well-cut diamonds, there are plenty of places to go. That's really all that's being said here.

Bill D.

Rough_Rock
I had been quoted at Tiffany a Lucida 0.86/F/VVS1 for a little less than 12k. Its spread is definitely smaller than a comparable carat princess. I decided to get something else.

As Lawgem said, it is all about choices. In this case, what value does one put on the original Tiffany setting. There are fancies that are better than the Lucida out there. There are also brand names that are more exclusive and expensive than Tiffany. You can also go for a custom setting which is more personal, more exclusive and in most cases better made.

Good luck ...

tbone343

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for so much feedback. I see that I also started a mini-debate which is always good. My feeling is that I wanted to get Tiffany because it is what she wanted. I'm sure that Tiffany has good quality although probably quite bad in terms quality per dollar. The twist is that in order for me to take her and go on an adventure diamond hunting, I would spoil the whole surprise element of proposing to her with a ring that I picked out. This is the biggest reason I would like to just get her something I know that she wants. Even if it costs me more. I bet there are lots of other dealers out there who could do so much better, but I don't think I will ever regret spending this money. Hopefully, I will make a lot of money in the future... LOL. Probably not, but anyway. Can someone please expound on what exactly a Tiffany e-ring is? It sounds almost as if you can buy Tiffany online at a discount which I was not aware of. Also, just to make sure I understood everyone, if I go with:

1 ct diamond
platinum ring
princess cut
tiffany setting

I will be looking at approximately $10,000 correct?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on what color and clarity you are looking for. As I noted, Tiffany does not go below an I in color and VS in clarity.

If you get a 1c princess cut (actually Tiff refers to it as 'Lucida'...more of a rounded square...not exactly a true princess cut...so be sure that your girl likes the Lucida with rounded edges and not a hard edged princess or else you are ruined before you begin!):

in an I VS combo...yes maybe around $10k

in a D VVS combo...more around $16-20k...

somewhere in between? Maybe a G VS....maybe $12k?

Really not many of us have a serious clue what the ranges *may* be. From numbers I have seen thrown around, the markup for Tiff can be anywhere from 40%-70% over something comparable that you'd build yourself online. I don't know what the die hard numbers are...so your best bet would be to shimmy on down to a local Tiff store and ask some questions of educatd Tiffany staff.

Just don't fall for the whole 'flawless like your girl' bull-ony...a nice G or H VS would be verrrrry preetty....and you'd only have sacrifice your firstborn for the ring...as opposed to your entire potential brood.

Best of luck
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/20/2003 8:50
6.gif
1 PM tbone343 wrote:

My feeling is that I wanted to get Tiffany because it is what she wanted.
----------------

Are you sure? The reason I ask is many gals state that but in reality would prefer a larger non-tif stone. The difference is not a couple of points. We are talking at least 1/2 carats more.

.75 vs 1.25c (Tiff vs. non Tiff). Similar color, clarity & cut.

If she understands this reality, then go for it. Many gal don't understand the premium attached to a little blue box. I blame "Sweet Home Alabama" for this romantic notion that Tiffany is the end all of be all.

I know I am beating a dead horse; but, one time I said something was cool to hubby. Next thing I know I own it for a present. It was cool. Not something I wanted though.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
a-HA.......YOU got the salad shooter too, didn't you!
2.gif
11.gif
9.gif

That's happened to me sooooo many times too......I remark "Wow, what a great idea"......and next thing you know, I own a Flowbee or some other stupid thing.

I have learned, though.......now the comment goes more like "What a great idea....even though I wouldn't have a use for it." LOLOLLLLLL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results