shape
carat
color
clarity

Three-stone to solitaire?

Should I re-set from 3-stone to solitaire?

• Yes, re-set

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No, keep as is

Votes: 21 95.5%

• Total voters

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Hello wise PS-ers,

A couple years ago I reset my 1.26ct solitaire with pave band in to a 3-stone (photo attached). Lately, I've been craving the look of a solitaire again, and I love both the vatche u113 & BGD tiffany-inspired settings. I'm going back and forth in my head and would love to get some opinions.

Will i (or would you be) be disappointed in the finger coverage once I go back to a solitaire? I can't really upgrade my center stone for sentimental reasons. If I had a larger stone, re-setting would be a no brainer for me because I love the look of the u113.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

_38034.jpg

_38035.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, but I think you would be disappointed in the finger coverage. If I were you I'd keep your three stone ring and save up for a new upgradeable solitaire. That way you could "upgrade" without losing the original stone for sentimental reasons... and also get a lot of bling. :cheeky: That three stone would work really well as a rhr too!

(If this is not a viable option - have you considered halo?)

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous btw!! :love: :love:

Edited to add: oh, I love your whole set! It looks beautifully balanced. :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted to keep as is - in a previous thread you had concerns that this ring wouldn't offer enough finger coverage, so I'm thinking you would miss the hand presence of the 3 stone. I would, but ultimately it's what you think that matters! Good luck with your decision, there are so many different options for settings that it's hard sometimes to figure out what we truly want. Your ring is gorgeous and looks really beautiful on your hand.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also voted to keep it as is! I looked back on one of your old threads when you were deciding on resetting to this 3 stone and have some pictures posted of your old solitaire setting (may be helpful to post here as a comparison). I feel your current setting actually makes your center looks larger and gives you maximum finger coverage on your tiny finger! While this is my opinion, what you like best is what matters most! Both are gorgeous :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep three stone. Will majorly miss finger coverage. Or keep original stone and stick it into a stud. Buy a new center. :naughty:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you reset your center into a solitaire style for days you want simplicity, and replace the center of the three stone with a CS for days you want more finger coverage?

partysocks

Rough_Rock

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
partysocks|1471271391|4066233 said:
As an alternative - you could do something similar to what Bliss did (hope she doesn't mind me re-posting her photos) and have the two sidestones made into an enhancer ring that could 'transform' a solitaire into a three-stone.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-73-soltaire-or-three-stone-get-both-thanks-idj.169812/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-73-soltaire-or-three-stone-get-both-thanks-idj.169812/[/URL]

untitleda.jpg
untitledb.jpg
untitledc_2.jpg

While I like Bliss' ring with its removable enhancer, her center stone is about 4ct and her fingers are tiny. So it would be a completely different look.

I suggest keeping it as it - I think it's a lovely ring. But if I wanted to switch it up, I'd go with larger sides. My favorite proportion for 3 stone rings is 45-55% / 100% / 45-55%. So basically your 1/2/1 combo, with some room for variation. I remember you considered doing that earlier this year because you wanted more oomph; I think removing the sides altogether would reduce 16mm of bling to 7mm of bling, and give you a veeery different amount of diamond on your finger! On the other hand, I think diamonds of that size are the PERFECT size for a halo, so if you wanted a solitaire but more bling, I would consider a Victor Canera Emilya re-set.

Good luck!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd save for an upgrade instead of resetting. Who did you get the center stone from? What is the upgrade policy of that vendor?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I personally would keep the 3-stone look. You can wear it on either hand, and it offers lots of finger coverage.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is really beautiful and looks very substantial on your pretty hand. I think after the look you have now a solitaire would leave you with DSS. However, mrs_blop's suggestion of a VC Emilya would be gorgeous too. (You know we're all a bunch of enablers around here) :lol:

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
So true. I had gotten a quote from VC a while ago for the emilya--such a gorgeous setting, but Im worried I might tire of the halo!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to a jewelry store and try on a 1.25 solitaire ring - even the bad mall stores should have something in that size. Pair it with your band just for size comparison only. I think that will answer your question.

I have had a three stone ring for years - two of them in fact - the second one had larger side stones than the first. I often think of going back to a solitaire but I know deep down I would miss the bling! The reason I went with a three stone was that I was not always loving the solitaire look on me and the three stone seemed to look so much better on my hand. I guess to go to a solitaire I would need a larger center stone to give a larger look but I really don't want a larger stone. Doesn't sound like you want to upgrade your center stone either.

Put the ring away for a couple of days - pull it back out and put it on and see if you don't love it again!

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
I actually did exactly that today ;-) Everyone on this thread was right. The 1.2 ct solitaire was underwhelming, so much so that i initially didn't believe it was the same size as my center stone until i compared them side by side. The woman at Tiffany was great and had me try on all different sizes.

I decided to just buy another ring. Haven't paid yet, but am going for a 1.8ct ACA, which im very excited about. And their upgrade policy sounds great too, so.... :) stay tuned!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new ring! What color/clarity did you choose?

Sounds wonderful - we'll be waiting for pictures!!

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1471311024|4066453 said:
Congrats on your new ring! What color/clarity did you choose?

Sounds wonderful - we'll be waiting for pictures!!

Thanks! H SI1 (eye clean).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results