shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone settings: center stone need to match color/clarity w/ sides?

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
So wondering for those that did 3 stone settings, did you try to match to the color/clarity of the center with your sides?

I''ve read that you want to stay within one grade for color and keep the same clarity as possible - what do most people do?

Most of the settings I''m looking at has H and VS2 which includes 2 side stones and channel set stones.

Thanks!

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

So wouldn''t go above a G with a side stones that are H? The setting exposes the sides of the center diamond which is why I wanted to get closer the colorless range.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Penguin- I have some questions:
1) what is the shape of the center, and what shaped sides
2) what is the grading on the center- is it GIA, and is there fluorescence?

I will also add that color grading on side stones is done in house, in almost all cases- therefore what you are told is an H may not necessarily match a GIA graded H.

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
The stones are round and I''m currently shopping for the center thus why I''m looking at what criteria I should set.

I was thinking of going into the colorless range with a F since the sides of the stone will be visible, just concern since the rest of the settings has side stones and channel sets that are H and VS2 that it might not match or maybe make the center look really good but then make the setting look bad.

Might be all crazy talk, but first time buyer so trying to put my mind at ease :)....

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
IMO the color doesn''t have to be an exact match, depends on how picky you are. Anything F-I should be fine, just depends on your taste and budget.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally like to keep within one color grade. But I am very color sensitive. I would stick to G to play it safe...

But RDs questions are good -- what size are the side stones and where did the grading come from?

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Looking at two settings one from Verragio and another one from Tacori, so not sure how they are graded but since they are fairly high-end designer (at least their prices are :) )... would imagine that their grading / quality is consistent.

I''m now looking at maybe going with a modified round like Eighternity or Solasfera.

Alternatively, since both those settings are fairly vintage might try for an old vintage cut something like the August Vintage Round from GoG.

Thoughts? Or will it be strange not to match the round side stones?

Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results