shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this antique yellow diamond ring?

allysssa

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at purchasing an antique ring for a while now and am interested in the ring below. It is currently listed as having a feather that breaks the table surface, and I've seen it in person - the feather or inclusion is brown and spotted and does break the surface of the stone. There's also a small chip on the girdle. A jeweler said that it's unlikely to be a stability risk since it's been around for so long, being an antique.

The ring is at a local auction and I got a quote for sizing up two sizes (laser) and redoing all the prongs for about 800.

What do you all think about the stability of the stone and whether that's too much of a project to take on? The color of the diamond is impressive in person and it's very pretty, but the inclusions are substantial. However, I couldn't afford such a ring without the inclusions.
I'm not interested in contemporary jewelry or newly cut antique stones, just interested in complete old pieces.

_15981.jpg

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
you should look at diamonds by lauren for a price comparison and better cut antique stones, I don't know why you would want badly cut stones.

allysssa

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply and help. I've looked at DBL but am I correct that they only sell newly cut antique style stones?

I'm interested in an an antique, not repro ring in this style. I like the color of the stone but don't specifically want yellow - any warm color would work for me. But I did like the color in person.

Do you mean that the stone itself is badly cut or the inclusion makes it a bad cut? It looked very pretty in person but I'm new to this. The price isn't that high (well, it's at auction and the estimate isn't that high so who knows). Everything at DBL is higher than the auction estimate.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
What's your budget? I think the yellow diamond has a nice pattern, small table, high crown... but the inclusions make it a no for me.

allysssa

Rough_Rock
Thanks ForteKitty. I know I'm new but I have been reading your posts for a while.

The inclusion is what is stopping me here too. The auction estimate is 1800 - 2200. Regarding my budget, honestly, 3k is about the limit so that's part of my interest in this piece - the diamond is sizable and I know I couldn't have perfection for that price. However, I also don't want something that's going to break.

The quality and cut of the diamonds in the halo actually bothered me more than the inclusion but the inclusion is significant. However, the color is really stunning.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I can't really help re the inclusions but I wanted to say that I think it is a gorgeous ring. I love it. Is it very old? (I'm not trying to scoop it out from under you, I just think it's lovely!)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind the chip on the girdle but a surface reaching feather would worry and bother me a lot. I would pass which is a shame because it is a lovely ring.

allysssa

Rough_Rock
Angeline, I think it's at least 100 years old but my bet would be late Victorian. I'm no expert though.

Catmom, sadly, that's the decision that I have to come to. I did read extensively about feathers on here and many in the article said that if they lasted this long, through setting, wear, etc (and we can tell there is wear because of the prongs and even a bang perhaps because of the way one prong is slid to the side) they aren't such a risk. But I don't know enough to judge.

I"m also not specifically in the market to buy right now, but am looking for something this style specifically -and with the diamond measuring to be likely above 1ct it seemed cheap, except of course for the feather.

If anyone does want to "scoop it up" it's at auction right now, along with a range of Picasso pieces that are commanding high prices and some other really amazing gems I tried on:

http://skinnerlive.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/live-sale/id/72

allysssa

Rough_Rock
The ring just sold for 3500 (plus auction premium and taxes), needs repronging. Estimate was 18 - 2200.

What do you all think of that price?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results