shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

biz_gravy

Rough_Rock
hey, what do you think about this diamond? any comments would be appreciated.

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2433132

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
To get an accurate idea of how well this diamond will perform, you need to ask DCD to run the stone through a sarin machine to get both the crown and pavilion angles. This diamond is in the "ideal cut" category but still regardless, you want the BEST of the ideals and having those two numbers will aid you when determining this using the "cut advisor," which is among the menu options here at the top of the Pricescope page.

Also, with this stone, you're paying a premium for the higher clarity which won't improve the beauty of the stone. You can easily move down to VS2 or SI1 and save some money. Something to think about IF this one doesn't look too great after getting the angle numbers.

Michelle

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Michelle makes some good points. I personally would go down to at least a VS2, and probably even an SI1. As far as color, I think G is a very good choice, but would probably feel comfortable going down to an H in an ideal cut stone. if the G VVS2 combo is your personal preferenc, there's definitely nothing wrong with that, I would just make sure you find out more about the cut quality. Here's a stone from dirtcheapdiamond's own signature series collection that's the same color, clarity, almost the same carat, and almost the same price, but does have more cut information listed on it:

dirtcheapdiamonds 0.73 G VVS2 $3,253

Best of luck in your search
1.gif

biz_gravy

Rough_Rock
yeah, i here what you're saying on the SI1-G-ish range to cut down on price.......i guess i'm just idealizing what i'd want to get right now. I have seen diamonds at 10x magnification in a few jewelery shops and SI1, even SI2 doesn't seem to have the biggest difference/affect.....especially to the naked eye. Would it be safe to say that going lower to S12 or 1 would be the first move before color? Also, if i have a very good+ cut diamond it would be easier to let small intrusions slip by before other things, no? I want to get my future wife (cross your fingers) the best quality engagement ring that will be beautiful but affordable, good quality, etc. Don't want to skimp by any means. But advise is always welcome.

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you're wanting a larger stone for the money. I'd move up in color, too -- I can't tell the difference between G and I in an ideal cut stone. I'd go with I color, eye-clean SI1-2, H&A.
Go look at some very well cut G,H,I, and J color stones. You may have to seek out a jeweler that sells "Hearts on Fire" stones (a branded H&A cut) to find stones with cut quality similar to what you are looking at on line. Then, you can figure out what your color tolerance is. Rember, though, even if the seller puts a D next to an I, and you can see the difference in color, this isn't how you're going to be looking at the diamond in the end. It's always good to know what your diamond looks like apart from all other stones, since that's how it will be worn!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
Would it be safe to say that going lower to S12 or 1 would be the first move before color? Also, if i have a very good+ cut diamond it would be easier to let small intrusions slip by before other things, no? I want to get my future wife (cross your fingers) the best quality engagement ring that will be beautiful but affordable, good quality, etc. Don't want to skimp by any means. But advise is always welcome.----------------

I wouldn't go as low as an SI2, but this is just me. I think the best balance is a G/H/possibly I color, SI1, H&A diamond.

Michelle

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the Si1 and Si2...I have seen Si2s that look better than si1s.....I personally, just bought (about an hour ago!!!! hehehehehehe) an Si1....you can see the teensy inclusions through the pavillion...but certainly not from the top. And I've seen an Si2 where the prong would have covered the inclusion...But to me, more bang for the buck says I"d start with a ideal cut G...or H of you can't see tint.. Si1!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results