shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts/Ideas on Antique Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

filligreegirl

Rough_Rock
Hello All-

New to this forum, but am recently engaged and looking for some answers? Not sure if anyone will be able to help seeing that I don't have any pictures.

I have just become the lucky owner, through a wonderful engagement, of a platinum filligree three stone ring. This ring was my fiancee's great grandmothers and has been passed down.

The setting looks like crowns around the diamonds, with a lot of intricate, details work. The ring is circa 1880s, and has between 2.5 and 3.0 total carat weight. The diamonds are an extremely old mine cut, and one does have a small flaw. We have not had it appraised yet, b/c of the holiday rush and plan on doing a rough appraisal and clean up of the delicate setting after Christmas.

Does anyone have any thoughts/insights about a ring this old and with this unusual setting? It looks like a lot of diamond to me, but I am newbie at all of this...so maybe an estimate? or just an idea if this type of ring is somewhat valuable? It is very valuable to me, but I have no idea what I am walking around with on my hand....

Thanks!

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Congratulations on your engagement and wearing a piece of family history. From what you describe, the ring sounds lovely. One thing I can suggest (because I am no expert) is to look at the stuff on nelsonrarities.com

Call and ask for a catalogue to be sent to you and look at the catalogues online that they have. I have inquired about different pieces on their website and spoken with Malcolm. He is very knowledgeable about the older pieces and probably would be able to give you a historical perspective on your ring. For instance, back in the spring, I bought a small OEC from him (them) that was an original Tiffany piece (with their very first crown setting). It was a learning experience for me to see how the Tiffany classic has evolved. He also told me that they used a higher content of gold back then and even though the shank tests as 18k, it looks like it has a higher gold content - it is very yellow. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you about them because looking at their site and the write-ups on the various pieces might give you some insight into your own piece (as well as talking to him about your piece).

Let''s see, who else. Check out antiqueengagementrings.com
Lot''s of people like Fay Cullen too. When I look at her site, I tend to look at the estate pieces. Some of the reproductions just (and please, this is just my opinion) don''t have quite the workmanship quality of the originals. But, I do like to see and browse the antique estate stuff. Anyway, that''s just my 2cents! Congratulations again!
Luv
1.gif

filligreegirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just quickly (very quickly!) checked out Nelsonrarities.com and was happy to find them located in Portland, ME...maybe an hour from my location in Boston! What luck! I am going to do a little more research about them and give them a call...maybe they could take a look even!

Alas, no pictures right now. But I will try to post some...the craftsmanship and detailing is amazing!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
can''t wait to see!!!!
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That sounds very beautiful! Add me to the list of people who can''t wait to see a picture.

You should have it appraised and insured before you let anybody work on it, just in case something goes wrong, which it probably won''t if you find a good jeweler--but still, better safe than sorry.

I would ask Dave Atlas, who posts on this board, to recommend an appraiser near you who''s knowledgeable about old stones and jewelry. Dave himself is an expert in this area. If you can''t find someone nearby, it might be worthwhile to send the ring to Dave for appraisal. He''s in Philadelphia.

If it turns out the ring needs work, make sure you get a jeweler who knows what they''re doing. The suggestion of talking to Nelson Rarities for advice is a good one.

By the way, platinum filigree sounds more like the 1900s-1920s than the 1880s to me. It''s very typical of the 1910s-20s. Could your ring be a little newer than you think? Could the stones be older than the setting?

In any case, may you wear your ring over a long, healthy lifetime and through a long, joyous marriage!

reena

Ideal_Rock
add me to that list too! it sounds beautiful . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results