shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought this might be fun...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I''m struggling with this entire setting thing... Tension mount is out...

1. It needs to be contemporary / modern in design...
2. She has long slim fingers: She said she normally wears a size 6, but on Sunday at brunch she tried on a girl friend''s size 7 and it fit perfecto (need sizing advice here)...
3. I''m thinking platinum, can''t decide between matt or polished (how does polished plat hold up?)...
4. Right now the diamond is a hair over 7mm and 1.27CT... other details in another post...
5. Can''t find anything I like looking at thumbnails and its driving me crazy...
6. Not sure I want the hassel of buying a setting sight un seen until the stone is set
7. Thinking custom setting?
8. Can''t decide on solitaire of side stones...

So here we are, me and several diamond and jewelry nuts online and I''m thinking y''all are very very helpful. Perhaps y''all could help design the setting? Maybe that would be a nice change of pace from angles, pavillions, culets, crowns, and tables? Not that this could ever get boring, but maybe this might prove to be a nice diversion for a day or so while I wait for my appraisal...

Here are my initial rough sketches... Just post away your thoughts, concerns, advice, counter drawings, etc. and perhaps together we can come up with something awesome!

Thanks...

Michael

10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Dancing...

Sorry... I'm starving and took a break to order a calzone! LOL...

Michael

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michael..maybe you should give Mark Morrell a call..his work is amazing and I am sure you two could dream something up that would work with the stone and your tastes.

Also check out www.tradeshop.com as they do custom work also and post their work into the gallery of work in progress online so you can see other people's rings as they are worked on. It's very cool and may inspire you or give you some ideas of your own. The only gallery is pretty extensive.

Any way to replicate a tension look but with prongs and/or a similar setting? What about a half bezel or similar? Did you check out Cowboy Stu's ring in the 'Show me the Ring' forum? His was very modern with a half-bezel.

My initial thoughts...
2.gif

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Michael,

When you've eaten, I'd love to see a side view!

Are you an artist? You sketch much better than I do.

-Melissa

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Also you need to consider if the e-ring design will allow a wedding ring to sit flush against it--unless that's not an issue at all.

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Artist?.... Hmmm... Some say so, I guess I never thought of myself as such... I do hand painted silks and shirts, some block printing... Sarongs and I even did my g/f a set of sheets she loves... Its more of a hobby than anything else. I'd love to get it off the ground and onto the web... All of my stuff is hand dyed and hand painted, mostly I work with club shirts... Hawian type... I don't have a side view handy... I'll work on one tonight and scan load it up tomorrow...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
When I see your pics, knowing that the stone is 7mm, I find this kind of ring a little too big for your lady.
I find this kind of ring cute, but 4 a little diamond.
Only my 2 €cents...

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Stephen...

Good point, of course the sketches are not to scale and the width of the band etc. would have to be adjusted for the stone size... Personally, both Rose and I don't care for really thin bands and prongs...

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Michael,

Yeah, sounds like you're an artist to me! I must agree with Stephan that if your scale of stone to ring was accurate, that would be a seriously humungo ring.

I really like the last pic of the band, with the crossing and the rolling under.... I'm concerned about the wearability of the star-shaped setting.... The points could really catch on things.

Has your girlfriend tried on or worn similarly scaled rings, with 7-8mm bands? I personally often like the look of wider bands until I try them on, and on my long slim fingers they just don't look right.
sad.gif

-Melissa

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Try www.exaurum.com

Stuff you wont find anywhere else.

I'm not related to them.

Trichrome.

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Dancing...

Yes she has... I bought her this monster 10mm band that is two toned white and yellow gold, she loves it and wears it every day... on her left hand... middle finger... close but not quite home yet! LOL... We looked at these gigantic platinum bands 12mm wide+ in California a couple of years back she thought they were wonderful (way outside of my budget, priced at $38,000 with their stone and that's the only way they sold them).

I thought about the points as well, and that is a definate concern, with her wardrobe i would hate to have the ring at fault for a pull... Also platinum is heavy so the width can be a weight issue... I want a nice ring, not an weapon... I'll work on another sketch tonight, sliming and scalling and giving a side view...

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results