shape
carat
color
clarity

This price hike is really making me angry!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
29.gif
Grrrr.... this price hike on diamonds is really starting to tick me off! I have been researching for an upgrade for awhile now, though my "upgrade" isn''t going to be many grades higher if this continues. I originally started looking at Whiteflash at princess cuts in the range of 1.35-1.45ct. for between $7000-8000. That is my budget. Well, fast forward a few months and now that same budget is getting me from 1.30 - 1.35. All the 1.44''s and 1.45''s I was looking at have gone to well over 8 grand, many almost 9 grand. HELP! I''M LOSING CARATAGE!!!

Felt good to get that off my chest. I will stop complaining now, I do actually have far greater problems to concentrate on!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
People have been alluding to a price hike, but don''t know if it''s now or by the fall??? Anyone have an idea of when the ax is going to fall????
6.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don''t mean to be the bringer of bad tidings but if you are looking to get an AGS "0" ideal princess they may be even more. Cutters I''ve been speaking to about them are saying that they''ll be in a position to cut their ideal princess cuts but will have to do so following the same methodology for cutting ideal rounds. Ie. more waste from the rough. Best time to buy is NOW if you can find a cherry.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t afford an AGS 0. I''m not really shooting for that, I don''t need perfection. I''m just looking for a nice princess, somewhere in the range of 1.35-1.45 ish, between a G-H ( color is important to me), and anywhere from a VS2 - SI1, with a nice cut and angles. Something that is pleasing to my eye, even though it may not be the perfect numbers. Oh yeah, under 10 grand would be nice!! I can''t buy now, DH and I just got back from vacation, he''d kill me if I bought now
9.gif

Guess I''m going to have to be patient and accept less caratage
15.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2005 8:51:57 PM
Author:IrishEyes
29.gif
Grrrr.... this price hike on diamonds is really starting to tick me off! I have been researching for an upgrade for awhile now, though my ''upgrade'' isn''t going to be many grades higher if this continues. I originally started looking at Whiteflash at princess cuts in the range of 1.35-1.45ct. for between $7000-8000. That is my budget. Well, fast forward a few months and now that same budget is getting me from 1.30 - 1.35. All the 1.44''s and 1.45''s I was looking at have gone to well over 8 grand, many almost 9 grand. HELP! I''M LOSING CARATAGE!!!

Felt good to get that off my chest. I will stop complaining now, I do actually have far greater problems to concentrate on!
9.gif
IE

it''s call diamond shrinkage without owning the diamond.
38.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-diamond-shrinked-12-15-in-size-even-before-the-purchase.23825/=

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE; Price Increases.

Two things are happening now, but it''s all based on De Beer''s price increase.

One - For stones that were purchased before the increase, those that have them in stock are going to raise the prices so that this inventory can be replaced. Doesn''t make much good business sense to sell a stone for $ 8000.00 that costs the same or more to replace, Does it?

Two - Prices on stones that really haven''t been raised, are going to be close to impossible to negotiate the prices, for the same reason as above.

But for princesses, there MAY potentially be a little "sluff period". This is sort of dependent on how many consumers really accept the new AGS 0 cutting and prices.

If the consumer "world" learns quickly abou the AGS 0 cut grade and it becomes desireable at the prices ( close to the price of a comparable round stone) then many dealers will be "rolling the dice" by submitted a previously graded stone ( most likely GIA reported diamonds) to see if the would get a 0 or 1 grade. For that, stones that wouldn''t get the AGS may be offered for quick sale to replace the inventory with the newer graded ones. If this happens, maybe the prices will be a little more negotiable until that inventory is depleted.

If the prices of the new ones, surpass customer interest and demand to sell such goods, then who knows what the affect will be.

The market will seek its own level.

Rockdoc

Rockdoc

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
IrishEyes, I''m with you on this one and couldn''t agree more. Over the past few months I''ve been checking out prices for an Ideal cut RB diamond circa 1.75cts. I guess I started early so that my better half and I could come to terms with the high prices of such stones and get over the shock before we arrived in the States to buy at the end of June. We were shocked but got over it and got used to the price we''d have to pay. Now that we''re 2 weeks away from being in the States and able to actually purchase one, I''ve noticed the prices have gone higher, even though my spec has come down to include SI1. I''m not sure I feel comfortable about paying higher prices. It''s disappointing really isn''t it. How much higher does De Beers have to go before we say stuff it we''ll have alternatives to diamonds instead?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you plan on upgrading that means you are own a diamond you want to change, no?

That means your diamond is going up in price also...

Regarding the AGS 0 princess cut, i have seen quite a few nicely cut princess cuts that are lower in total depth (spreadier stones) and are still calculated at prety attractive prices!!!

And I would bet most people would not be able to see the difference between a nice spready princess from an AGS 0 princess!!!

The whole game of the perfect diamond is making you the CONSUMER want a "perfect" diamond, which translates into Higher $$$$$$.

I would suggest, be smart there are plenty of great looking Princess Cuts out there, just be patience and search wisely!!!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to add a
33.gif
and say that I too am disappointed in the price hikes. However, my disappointment spreads beyond just diamonds...car prices...real estate...gas....it seems everything is increasing exponentially BUT consumer''s incomes. I was looking into upgrading my 1.5 RB to something in the 2.5-3.0 neighborhood, but with the rate things are going I may just think about resetting and wait until these ridiculous prices drop.

imback

Rough_Rock
prices will continue to increase. perhaps the RATE of increase will eventually slow, but the increase will continue. in addition to price increases by debeers, i expect sellers to be increasing their margins as well.

good luck.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
MiniMouse, It IS disappointing, I feel your pain! but if you are two weeks out, perhaps it won''t be so bad. I feel like giving up sometimes, being that I wasn''t planning on buying for several months. By the time I get around to actually purchasing, I won''t be anywhere near what I originally wanted, I''ll be settling for something different. At least that''s how I feel...

DiaGem, I won''t be trading in my current diamond, if that''s what you were alluding to? It is still a beautiful stone and means too much to me, seeing as it was the one my DH first gave to me. I plan on putting it in a pendant. So I won''t have any extra cash from that. With the AGS 0 thing, I''m not looking for one. I just want a stone that is within decent numbers and looks great to my eyes. That''s the most important thing to me. It''s not like I want to go around and spout off all the perfect numbers to everyone
1.gif
I just want it to be beautiful in my eyes!

I feel that De Beers is pushing people to feel that if the prices continue to go up alot, they would start to consider alternatives. However, I don''t think that will really happen. People want the real thing, and unfortunately, that means paying for it! It''s like cigarettes, no matter how much they raise the price or the tax, people don''t quit smoking, just find more money to buy!

lmarps

Rough_Rock
I''m so glad to see that other people who feel my pain. I''m not the only one who feels unusually obsessed over a diamond.

I am looking to upgrade my stone also by the end of the month.I currently have a 1.02 ct round brilliant. I want to upgrade to 1.25-1.5. If I decide to go to 1.5 I will go slightly over budget. Also if I only jump .25 will shrinkage set in fast thus wait to go to a 1.5 ??? With the price increasing I am debating wether to go for the bigger stone or to hold off and change the setting. I am limited to do one or the other although changing the setting will save me money. I know eventually I will want a larger stone though. My jeweler tells me to buy the larger stone now due to the price hike and availablity and change the setting at a later date.

Help! What should I do????????

7.gif

Schatzley

Rough_Rock
An alternative to diamonds??? I do not think so. I go way back to 1959 when I started in the jewelry business. My employer told me to remember a really fine 1ct diamond is equal to a new Cadilac. I do not think GM can sell us a Cadilac for $10,000 yet that is waht we would pay for a really fine 1ct diamond and the Caddy will depreciate at once while you fill it up with gas and oil and your diamond will be sparkling 100 yaers from now and the Caddy will be in a landfill.

Jack Schatzley

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the price hikes are frustrating, especially when you try to get an answer from vendors re: what is coming and a straight answer never is forthcoming! hard to make a decision on what to do without all the information eh?!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Mara - most vendors are not trying to be coy, misleading or obfucatory if they are not able to give you a "straight answer" about prices.

While it''s easy to see trends, and we have all known for some time that that trend is and will continue to be UP, it is much more difficult, if not impossible to determine exactly when and by how much a particular manufacturer will increase prices.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at the prices rising, we are not happy about it either. You might be surprised, but let me explain.

1. Having a lean organisation, and with sales being relatively fast, we do not have a lot of benefit from prices of polished rising, after we bought the rough and before selling the polished. Less well organized, fatter competitors do get this benefit, and they might be happy about it.

2. With prices rising, a lot of people buying rough speculate on even higher prices in the future. In this way, they keep on inflating the price of rough, without considering the baseline of the return in polished. This speculation creates a bubble in which rough is more expensive than the polished coming out of the rough.

3. In the whole picture the added-value of cutting becomes a smaller percentage of the cost of the stone. In other words, with the same capital, one can buy less rough, and thus earn a smaller living.

4. Finally, because of the speculation, there is bound to be a correction at some point in time. If it is only the price of rough, which goes down, the problem is minimized. But if also prices of polished diamonds will go down, then it is a catastrophe for anyone in the business of cutting.

Therefore, while we sympathize with consumers, we are afraid that we also are in need of some sympathy
2.gif

Live long,

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, De Beers keeps raising the price of diamonds but there are other things happening that De Beers has no control over. The price of oil keeps going up also.

Both oil and diamonds are paid for in U.S. dollars. The U.S. dollar keeps going down in value which in turn causes the prices of things like diamonds and oil to go up when in fact they have not done anything but adjust the price because of the value of the dollar.

There is more to it than that but we cannot point the finger at De Beers or Mr. Bush or the EU for our pretty diamonds costing more.

Hang on the price of oil and diamonds will continue to go up. If you see a diamond you would like and can pay for it now. I suggest you buy it now. It mayl not be the same price next week.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 12:35:23 PM
Author: lmarps
I know eventually I will want a larger stone though. My jeweler tells me to buy the larger stone now due to the price hike and availablity and change the setting at a later date.

Help! What should I do????????
Agree with your jeweler - buy the bigger stone now and upgrade the setting later.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results