shape
carat
color
clarity

Thin to thick girdle in princesses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

k-man

Rough_Rock
I have seen many Princess cut diamonds with great %''s and measurements but many of them have 2 issues that don''t make them ideal:

1) the girdle runs from thin to thick. How bad is that and why? How will it affect the diamond?

2) faint flourescence. Again, how bad is that and why? How will it affect the diamond?

Which of the two is more important to avoid?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blue fluoro makes diamonds look better to every client i have ever shown stones too.

Girdle thickness and all sorts of symmetry issues are far more common with fancy cuts,
Thin should be OK, and thick might costs a bit more in unseen dimensions - but maybe only 1 side is thick.

k-man

Rough_Rock
I guess I should clarify, I'm asking about the girdle because I had a sales person say:

"Make sure the girdle doesn't go from thin to thick it will make your stone appear like it has a great big black dot in the middle of the table"

Is this true?

Also, when specs of a diamond say Faint flourescence, is it always blue? Should we ask for more details about the color or faintness of it?

Thanks again.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That's a good one!! A black spot on table!! Ah ah! What a dork of a salesman!!

Faint fluorescence could be blue as well as yellow and so on. But since it's faint, it doesn't make a difference. A faint grade means a really slight fluo that will be visible only under an UV lamp. You should be concerned only about very strong fluorescence.
1.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results